Superblock or ciment block ?

Hi,

Do you think the standard superblock (30x60x7.5) is really better for insulation than the standard ciment block (20x39x7) ? Is there a big difference of price between them ? What should i use for my house ? I have a tight budget...

THanks

I have lived in two houses, both typical Thai construction, concrete blocks/red bricks and mortar.  The interior house walls get very hot from both direct sun, and heat migrating down through the walls from the hot attic void. 

Mate of mine finished his house recently.  Double walls with air gap using Q-con blocks and insulated attic void space.  It makes a BIG difference. 

Don't know cost, I'm sure someone will post recent information.

22 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I have lived in two houses, both typical Thai construction, concrete blocks/red bricks and mortar.  The interior house walls get very hot from both direct sun, and heat migrating down through the walls from the hot attic void. 

Mate of mine finished his house recently.  Double walls with air gap using Q-con blocks and insulated attic void space.  It makes a BIG difference. 

Don't know cost, I'm sure someone will post recent information.

THanks but do you think that a standard Q-con do the same job than 2 standard cement blocks ?

I understand that you are on a tight budget But,

The initial cost superblock might be a litle more but in the long term it will be cheaper if you factor in the difference in the cost of cooling.

IMO the comfort level is priceless. 

Also you save on labor with superblock as it is less labor intensive. IMO the difference in price between block and superblock is not significant enough to compromise your whole build and comfort.

I apologise for not being able to give you specific prices as I am not in Thailand right now and have not being there since last winter. We used double wall superblock in our build last year and the difference in comfort  from the last house that we build with cement block is  incredible. 

AAC "superblocks" cost between 15 to 20 baht each, at 8.3 blocks per sq.m., so 125-160 baht/sq.m., plus the special "adhesive" (not ordinary mortar!) at 3kg/sq.m, 150baht/50kg bag, so roughly 9 baht/sq.m.....total 135-170 baht per sq.m. depending on brands, current special deals, how bargain savvy you are, etc.

Concrete blocks are 12.5/sq.m, at 8(?) baht each, so around 100 baht/sq.m. but I reckon the mortar will cost more. I forget how much mortar per sq.m ......definitely more than the AAC adhesive though.

So a single skin concrete block wall might be cheaper but hotter, and a double skin will be more expensive. But, no make it BUT, in the long run AAC will save you money on cooling costs, it also has better sound absorbtion. Also AAC blocks can be cut and trimmed to shape where necessary to fit into odd corners etc, so there should be little waste. And they are a lot quicker to lay so you should reduce the labour costs slightly too.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 3:48 AM, sirineou said:

I understand that you are on a tight budget But,

The initial cost superblock might be a litle more but in the long term it will be cheaper if you factor in the difference in the cost of cooling.

IMO the comfort level is priceless. 

Also you save on labor with superblock as it is less labor intensive. IMO the difference in price between block and superblock is not significant enough to compromise your whole build and comfort.

I apologise for not being able to give you specific prices as I am not in Thailand right now and have not being there since last winter. We used double wall superblock in our build last year and the difference in comfort  from the last house that we build with cement block is  incredible. 

And ensure there's some form of vents to continuously get the hot air out of the ceiling cavity.

The AAC Blocks are a better solution. Your living experiences will be better and your PEA bill much lower. Consider the AAC steel reinforced lintels which are readily available in Buriram Isaan and other provinces of Thailand when you build a home. The cost can vary depending on brand and how far your home builders merchants is from the AAC block plants.  No such thing as direct to your Thailand home building site from the factory on this product unless you rent a fork lift and have pavement suitable for a semi truck and the forklift. 

Buriram Isaan Kitchen Bathroom AAC Block Counter building.jpg

Buriram Autoclaved AAC Block Lintel Trowel.jpg

Thailand autoclaved AAC wall block sections lintel delivery.jpg

2 hours ago, Mickmick said:

AAC "superblocks" cost between 15 to 20 baht each, at 8.3 blocks per sq.m., so 125-160 baht/sq.m., plus the special "adhesive" (not ordinary mortar!) at 3kg/sq.m, 150baht/50kg bag, so roughly 9 baht/sq.m.....total 135-170 baht per sq.m. depending on brands, current special deals, how bargain savvy you are, etc.

Concrete blocks are 12.5/sq.m, at 8(?) baht each, so around 100 baht/sq.m. but I reckon the mortar will cost more. I forget how much mortar per sq.m ......definitely more than the AAC adhesive though.

So a single skin concrete block wall might be cheaper but hotter, and a double skin will be more expensive. But, no make it BUT, in the long run AAC will save you money on cooling costs, it also has better sound absorbtion. Also AAC blocks can be cut and trimmed to shape where necessary to fit into odd corners etc, so there should be little waste. And they are a lot quicker to lay so you should reduce the labour costs slightly too.

Thanks Mate very interesting informations ????

1 hour ago, kamalabob2 said:

The AAC Blocks are a better solution. Your living experiences will be better and your PEA bill much lower. Consider the AAC steel reinforced lintels which are readily available in Buriram Isaan and other provinces of Thailand when you build a home. The cost can vary depending on brand and how far your home builders merchants is from the AAC block plants.  No such thing as direct to your Thailand home building site from the factory on this product unless you rent a fork lift and have pavement suitable for a semi truck and the forklift. 

1 hour ago, kamalabob2 said:

Awesome advice, thanks a bunch ! Where did you take the pictures ? Is it Global house ? Cheers