Getting A Thai Driver's License For Non-ims

THAI DRIVER'S LICENCES

Most of this information was picked up on the Internet...but I have added some bits that came from my own experience.

The Department of Land Transport in Thailand is responsible for registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver's and motorcycle licenses in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver's License, Americans will require the following:

(1) Completed application form (obtained at the Thai Driver’s License Office…it basically just asks for your name and address and what type of license you want [car or motorcycle]...and it is the document that you pick up from the receptionist when you first come into the Office. Before you get this application you will have already acquired the ones below).

(2) A valid passport and a copy of the front pages

(3) Valid non-immigrant visa and a copy

(4) American or Canadian Driver's License and a copy

(5) Doctor's certificate and a copy

(6) Two photos (1")

(7) A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the American or Canadian Embassy) and a copy

(8) A fee of 105 Baht for a license to drive a car

Copy of work permit may be requested (unless you are retired)

If you photo copy all the stuff before you get to the Office you will save some time. Though the Office will not need all the copies it's more convenient to have more than less.

Getting the 'declaration of residence' from the US Embassy costs $30 (or equivalent in Baht....no checks or credit cards). It only takes about 15 minutes.

The 'medical' will cost about 200 Baht and any doctor or hospital will do it. Using a walk-in clinic is easy. The medical consists of blood pressure, weight, listen to your heart, look in your ears and eyes and ask if you can recoznize different colors. About 20 minutes at most.

Visiting the Office of Driver's Licenses is probably best done on a rainy day as it is less busy then. Once they have looked at your originals and you have signed the copies you go up to the 3rd floor for an eye test....you only have to recognize red, green and yellow. The whole visit took about one hour. If you have an International Driver's Permit you do not need to take any written or driving examination. Bring along someone who speaks Thai as that will save you some time.

Application can be made at the Licensing Office in the applicant's district or contact the Department of Land and Transport main office. Note that all forms to be completed are written in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's license. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued on the spot.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's license. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued on the spot.

I should have underlined the entire sentence beginning with "Once all....". NO examination or driving test is needed if you have a valid International Driving Permit. Only the color recognition test is required.

NO examination or driving test is needed if you have a valid International Driving Permit. Only the color recognition test is required.

I sent off for an IDP two months ago. They cashed my cheque, but it never arrived - there's a post office worker in Karon walking around with my IDP, or he probably threw it in the bin when he realised it wasn't a credit card :o

NO examination or driving test is needed if you have a valid International Driving Permit. Only the color recognition test is required.

I sent off for an IDP two months ago. They cashed my cheque, but it never arrived - there's a post office worker in Karon walking around with my IDP, or he probably threw it in the bin when he realised it wasn't a credit card :o

It might be worthwhile to reapply for the IDP and include a pre-paid FedEx (or similar) addressed to you.

• 1 month later...

It might be worthwhile to reapply for the IDP and include a pre-paid FedEx (or similar) addressed to you.

I received my replacement IDP this week from England after sending a few emails to the AA (Automobile Association in the UK). Maybe the Karon Post Office guy was on holiday this week and missed it. :D