Police hunt driver who killed Filipino rally cyclist

snoop1130

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The van drove off to the right after the crash, while Perez was taken to Ban Pho Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The are no consequences for jumping red lights unless you get into an accident.

The are no consequences for hit-and-run.

The are no consequences unless you're caught. 

A total lack of government road enforcement and lack meaningful consequences means that driving habits never change, and running red lights in Thailand is the norm and not the exception. 

The Most Dangerous Roads in the World claim other victim - but who cares. 
Highly aggressive Thai drivers don't care a hoot and the carnage continues unabated.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Thian said:

I know several farangs from Europe who went to thailand to cycle......and one of their pest hates was rabies soidogs..

That is the main reason I don't ride bicycle here in Thailand, second reason are the idiots drivers here even in daylight.

1 hour ago, tominbkk said:

I pity these victims so much, having cycled many thousands of miles, to come here full of expectation, not knowing what utterly selfish, idiotic, incompetent goits Thai drivers are.

The event organizers have a responsibility to inform all participants of Thailand's status as The Most Dangerous Roads in the World, and should provide an information sheet (mandatory read) or a short pre-ride seminar on how to stay alive on Thai roads where the average driver is either highly aggressive or totally ignorant and incapable of driving, or both. 

and then what? The laws are pathetic here. He will get a 5000 baht fine and a suspended sentence. As the police said to me after 2 of our customers and 1 driver was killed by a Somchai ****head who crossed the central reservation going too fast ''thai courts feel sorry for people'' (the accused). <deleted>? How about those left behind with destroyed families? Just disgusting.

27 minutes ago, jvs said:

The idiot here is the one that ran the red light!!!

yes in this story it is but when i see farang cyclists in the BKK traffic avoiding parked taxi's/cars in the heat while all motocy's pass them very close i cringe and wait for a door to open from the taxi or another accident.

I drive motocy in BKK and when i drive the max speed i have to watch my mirrors all the time for racing somchais who try to pass me (very close) from behind...Also cars do that and even cut me off when they can. They have no clue at all how to pass  safely and also they don't give a duck. So i drive fast and make sure nobody can pass me from behind in a narrow space.

Recent years many cyclists have been killed just on open roads while they were keeping left as they're supposed to. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong, dead is dead.

1 hour ago, tominbkk said:

I am considering a strong squirt bottle filled with bleach - couple shots into those dog's eyes should do it. 

If you did that to one of my dogs I'd be tempted to beat you with your own bike then squirt bleach in your eyes when your on the ground considering that it would only cost me 5000 THB and a wai to the Thai public.  However, that's the part of me that I've been able to keep under a lid for most of my life.  However I would get the cops involved and track you down. And trust me, most Thais will do the same.  Bleach can permanent blind an animal you compassionateless fool.  The cops and the Thai public would not be impressed.  There are other ways to deal with dogs when walking or biking.  I suggest you rethink that idea.

Did not know that Lexus made Vans now!?

But more likely it is one of these Thai show-offs who put a Lexus logo on a Toyota - another member of the “wannabe don’t you know who I am” brigade.

1.30 AM very likely drunk or on drugs - killing a person by running a red light and then fleeing the scene of the accident.

And then the driver goes and claims insurance for the damage?

Another sick lowlife on the run until alcohol or drugs can not be detected in the body anymore.

People like them should not only be denied bail but their sentence should automatically be doubled for fleeing the scene of the accident they caused.

Although if I read that the woman who killed the 3 cyclists while driving drunk into the group got only 2 years - I don’t have much hope.

Good luck to the families to get the money awarded to them - never going to happen unless she has some property to sell.

People here seem to get a longer prison sentence for sharing something the “above the law elite” does not like on Facebook than they do for killing somebody and then fleeing the scene!

What a sick society this has become!

A newspaper here wrote that the two Foreigners who sprayed graffiti onto the Tapae Gate in Chiang Mai could face up to 10 years in prison?

But killing several people driving drunk gets you 2 years?

What is wrong with this country?

And for those who blame the victim - yes it is dangerous to drive any kind of vehicle here - but the only one to blame in this case is the rotten, irresponsible scoundrel who ran the red light killing the poor man and then fleeing the scene!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The event organiser said the cyclist had equipment which met the required safety standards for night cycling.

Honestly, even with 'required safety standards for night cycling', anyone who rides in this country at night or in the dark is a fool who is simply tempting death.  And I know cyclists who drive in the dark every morning.  Imho, they all have a death wish.  That's just dealing with reality.  I don't feel safe riding during the day, probably because I drive daily and see exactly how moronically the average Thai drives. 

One has to be a real barbarian without any humanity to behave like that and this guy on top of it has tried to rip off his assurance.

It is not an accident it's a murder, jumping a red traffic light, running away in the middle of the night, but before all without calling any help, letting the victim unconscious in the middle of the road like a dog that has been run over. It's really disgusting.

6 hours ago, blackhorse said:

What's the attraction here? Nothing to see but banana plantations and stinking heat and humidity. I couldn't think of a worse place to cycle
Now cycling in Europe in the cooler months would be absolutely stunning views and beautiful architecture in the cities. I would even give it a do over there but not in lycra lol

You're sadly ignorant on this front. Huge amounts of amazing cycling in the North.

2 hours ago, Juan B Tong said:

Concerned highway safety advocates should encourage Chinese lycra clad bicycling tourists to enjoy the highways and byways of Thailand.

Give them free multiple entry visas on arrival!

Maybe they would only require a single entry visa????

38 minutes ago, RotMahKid said:

That is the main reason I don't ride bicycle here in Thailand, second reason are the idiots drivers here even in daylight.

I bought two bicycles, I went one time from my house in Maret/Lamai to Tesco Lotus Lamai.. 2/3 kilometres, and I came back that's all. It was not far from two years ago. Both bikes are now rotting under my house, IM-PO-Si-BLE at least in Samui for someone who is not suicidal!

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

Obviously you don't know Thailand all that well. They have mountains here just to help you understand, and good views too if you take the time to look for them.

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

Agreed... There are many beautiful places in Thailand I do a road trip now and again when I have time in my SUV not a bicycle and found many stunning places and sights and lovely people.

It is too dangerous to cycle here I would never dream of it.

RIP to another victim of scumbag minibus drivers I hate the lot of them.

I just had a bad experience using one to go to Buriram Moto GP it was a VIP 6 seater one thinking it would be better then the usual mini-busses I took a Grab taxi for the return journey home even though the minibus was booked, never again I would rather walk.

46 minutes ago, connda said:

Honestly, even with 'required safety standards for night cycling', anyone who rides in this country at night or in the dark is a fool who is simply tempting death.  And I know cyclists who drive in the dark every morning.  Imho, they all have a death wish.  That's just dealing with reality.  I don't feel safe riding during the day, probably because I drive daily and see exactly how moronically the average Thai drives. 

Well here in BKK there are a few groups of cyclists who go out at night and cycle on the main roads without following the trafficlaws. They are mostly Thai but i've also seen farang in those groups. I've even seen them riding on the mainroads where all cars drive 90-100 and bicycles are not allowed to drive cause they have to use the frontroads.

If a car drives into one of those groups (they are rich thai looking at their equipment) it will be a lifechanging event i guess.

6 hours ago, Thian said:

I know several farangs from Europe who went to thailand to cycle......and one of their pest hates was rabies soidogs..

But for me anybody who wants to bicycle in Thailand is an idiot...they go too slow for the traffic here.

Depends where u r. I find I am given more room and consideration on my bicycle than when riding my motorbike in the town where I live. It is also safer in congested city centre traffic where speeding is not possible and drivers must be more attentive. I avoid the open road and fast city roads like ring roads which are high risk.

1 hour ago, mr_lob said:

and then what? The laws are pathetic here. He will get a 5000 baht fine and a suspended sentence. As the police said to me after 2 of our customers and 1 driver was killed by a Somchai ****head who crossed the central reservation going too fast ''thai courts feel sorry for people'' (the accused). W.T.F? How about those left behind with destroyed families? Just disgusting.

Revenge is not a bad idea.

19 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

He’ll be safe if he follows the F1 racing calendar. 

It's Formula Somchai every day in Thailand.

result is 25,000 dead every season. 

and no one in the authorities,  cares one bit here. :coffee1:

Truly disgusting,  shameful some people are on the roads.

Police Arrest Suspect Of Hit-And-Run That Killed Filipino

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

1540459142898-696x522.jpg

A bicycle that belonged to Filipino cyclist Russel Perez who died from hit-and-run crash in Chachoengsao.

CHACHOENGSAO — A driver accused of fatally hitting a Filipino cyclist with his van was arrested Thursday afternoon in eastern Thailand.

Police arrested Chutipan Buddawieng in Sa Kaeo province. The 29-year-old van driver allegedly ran a red light early Tuesday morning in Chacheongsao province, hitting cyclist Russel Perez before fleeing the scene.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/10/26/police-arrest-suspect-of-hit-and-run-that-killed-filipino/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-10-26

8 hours ago, Thian said:

But for me anybody who wants to bicycle in Thailand is an idiot...they go too slow for the traffic here.

Congratulations thank you for sharing your personal thoughts on those who choose to be eco friendly or cycle for exercise.

As for being too slow I often pass cars stuck in a traffic jam which I why I choose to ride one...

the idiots are stationary all in a line going no-where very slowly !

He should have known better coming from the Philippines, that roads are crazy dangerous here for cyclists , especially main roads. 

And to add to that he choose to cycle at night time which is worse for drivers to see clearly and also they might be drunk at night time. 

I use a bicycle myself for exercise and never had an accident, but I only stick to the small sois and beach road here in Pattaya. 

9 hours ago, blackhorse said:

What's the attraction here? Nothing to see but banana plantations and stinking heat and humidity. I couldn't think of a worse place to cycle
Now cycling in Europe in the cooler months would be absolutely stunning views and beautiful architecture in the cities. I would even give it a do over there but not in lycra lol

You should try it. An early morning ride around the flat fields of Isaan is a wonderful experience. Enjoy the peace and quiet and see the kids waving and shouting hello as you pass. It’s one of the best parts of being here. 

4 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

This is the main reason I ride 9000km a year. I can outpace the dogs and, with some luck, lacerate their noses with my cleats. The alternative would have been running, but 15kmh max and rubber soles, no good.

I refuse to see beer drinking as a viable alternative, unlike many other posters on this thread.

10 hours ago, blackhorse said:

Cyclists all over the world continue to get run over. How is trying to win a title worth your life and especially cycling in Thailand you may as well make out a will

The chance of being involved in an accident while cycling is actually relatively slim. In excess of 223 million bike journeys are made each year – that's 613,000 every day. Unfortunately, between 10 and 20 fatal traffic accidents occur on Amsterdam's roads each year – 20% to 30% of these are cyclists.

Archived