What if I leave my car for a long time.

lassebasse

I live in Thailand but regularly take long trips of a month or more to other countries. I have a pick-up and an MC Honda Click. When I started travelling I noticed that the Honda was very difficult to get started after standing still a long time. I tried to understand why and came to the conclusion that the fuel was to blame. Obviously Gasohol should not be left in a tank for longer periods as it will sort of deteriorate. Solution was to switch to Benzene. Since I switched to Benzene I have had no more problems starting the bike even if it has been standing idle for more than a month.

And now my question: I plan to sell my diesel Pick-up, which has no problem being left idle for long periods. Insted l will switch to a regular smaller car and they all seem to drive on Gasohol so of course i am a bit worried. Will I have the same problems with a car fueled with Gasohol, as I had with my MC, if left idle for long periods of time? Since Benzene sometimes is hard to come buy I do not fancy driving my car on that, not to mention the difference in price.

I parked up my 15 year old diesel Toyota Sportrider in Bangkok. Under cover for 18 months. 6 cylinder 3000 cc. Crossed my fingers turned the ignition key and she started first turn and drove perfectly. Of course I also checked the oil, water brake and power fluid levels all ok. 17 years old. Oil change every 5000 km. Other than the oil all I have changed is the air con and tyres. Mint condition everything works and all original. I think i got my moneys worth? 

12 minutes ago, Nip said:

I parked up my 15 year old diesel Toyota Sportrider in Bangkok. Under cover for 18 months. 6 cylinder 3000 cc. Crossed my fingers turned the ignition key and she started first turn and drove perfectly. Of course I also checked the oil, water brake and power fluid levels all ok. 17 years old. Oil change every 5000 km. Other than the oil all I have changed is the air con and tyres. Mint condition everything works and all original. I think i got my moneys worth? 

Bejaysus, theres a few here who would love a 6 cylinder from the Little People.

Potential problems, or indeed very real ones, depending on how long the car is left idle, include:

lack of lubrication to the upper parts of the engine, squirting lubricants into the spark plug holes and into the oil filler cap helps.

Corrosion of ignition points etc., not too much that can be done about that.

Dead battery - disconnect it perhaps but be prepared for issues when reconnecting it, based on the make and model.

Deflated tyres - get an air pump.

Moisture inside the passenger compartment - a couple of boxes of moisture absorbing crystals may help.

Fuel separation, perhaps add some fuel from a can before starting.

I have a camper van in Australia that sits in storage for long periods.. I have a trickle-charger hooked up to the battery which keeps it topped up..  Check fluids after a long storage.. they deteriorate over time..  Brake fluid absorbs moisture..  I have never had any problems with fuel but last service I had the lines flushed out on advice from my mechanic.. 

It must be a very old click, my mate had a Nouvo (yamaha) and he had the same issues.

The carburettor gets clogged, I have fuel injected motorbikes for years and never any issues.

I am away offshore for 1 month at a time.

You’ll find all new cars have a fuel injected system so you shouldn’t have problems, I’d keep the pickup, diesels are good.

15 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

My Dyna - on return from Aus, sat in a steel crate for almost 7 years.

Drain full tank, fill with fresh fuel, buy new battery - VROOM

No issues

Ignition points - 555

The Op's asking about a car/truck, not a bike, the info. is usful for a wider audience perhaps!

I regularly leave my Nissan Almera for 5 months when I go abroad and never had an issue. Good idea to disconnect one battery terminal as it will discharge over time. One month or so away you should have no issues.

Most vehicles have a OBD-II (On-board diagnostics port 

Using a 5060114614185 Solar-Powered Car Battery Charger, trickle charges the battery 

I have left a car with battery connected ( Insurance requires active alarm) for 4 months and car started 1st time

22 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I leave my car for about 3 months in the States. There is a company that makes the Battery Tender that keeps the battery charged so no problem when return. Don't know if similar item available for Thailand.

Quite a few options available on Lazada.. trickle chargers..  https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=battery+trickle+charger&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125515fdER2bS

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Potential problems, or indeed very real ones, depending on how long the car is left idle, include:

lack of lubrication to the upper parts of the engine, squirting lubricants into the spark plug holes and into the oil filler cap helps.

Corrosion of ignition points etc., not too much that can be done about that.

Dead battery - disconnect it perhaps but be prepared for issues when reconnecting it, based on the make and model.

Deflated tyres - get an air pump.

Moisture inside the passenger compartment - a couple of boxes of moisture absorbing crystals may help.

Fuel separation, perhaps add some fuel from a can before starting.

Corrosion of ignition points-exactly how long have you left your car? I thought they quit making those in the 70’s.

3 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

Battery tender shuts off when battery is fully charged.

Trickle charger does not shut off and can over charge a 

battery leading to replacing earlier than necessary.

I left my car at a petrol station for 2 months, while I was away the 2004 Tsunami happened

when I got back to Thailand the car had gone !!!

but only because the petrol station owner had towed it round the back out of the way,

he said he thought it must have belonged to a Tsunami victim...the battery was flat and it was covered in grime...he washed the car ,gave me a jump start  and charged 500 baht for "storage"  !!!????

1 hour ago, Suitcase said:

Battery tender shuts off when battery is fully charged.

Trickle charger does not shut off and can over charge a 

battery leading to replacing earlier than necessary.

It depends what you buy.. the trickle charger that I have in Australia has several programs and it does manage the battery charge  as your 'battery tender does'.. 

https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/3-stages-of-smart-chargers.html

The voltage will taper down and maintain at a steady 13.2-13.4 volts, which is the maximum voltage a 12 volt battery can hold. The current will also decrease to a point where it's considered a trickle. That's where the term "trickle charger" comes from. It's essentially the float stage where there is charge going into the battery at all times, but only at a safe rate to ensure a full state of charge and nothing more. Most smart chargers do not turn off at this point, yet it is completely safe to leave a battery in float mode for months to even years at a time.

It's the healthiest thing for a battery to be at 100% state of charge.

2 hours ago, lassebasse said:

Thanks for all the answers, however a lot of you missed the point. My question was if Gasohol here in Thailand would mess up my carengine if it was left idle for longer periods like a month or more.

I told you if it has a carburettor you have a problem, keep your Diesel Pickup. 

Keep it simple, Diesel or Petrol Fuel Injected you're fine.

Don't reply with your negativity.

If you cant read the posts you have missed the point.

I once bought a 1928 Dodge in oz.  It had been sitting in a shed in the bush for about 20 years. Drained the fuel tank and replaced the fuel, pumped up the tyres,

put in a new battery, then started it up and drove 90 Klm home. No problems mate.

4 hours ago, lassebasse said:

Thanks for all the answers, however a lot of you missed the point. My question was if Gasohol here in Thailand would mess up my carengine if it was left idle for longer periods like a month or more.

A month would never be any problem, unless the car sensors already fading(running poor etc.).  Thailand is tropical country a healthy car would be totally safe sitting gasohol 3~5 months, normally OK for 6 months or even more. 

Benzene also 5% alchohol and gasoline are oxygenated all around globe nowadays.

( My daily Corolla was open parked at airport near 4 months, half tank gasohol 95, the car was in really bad shape even before parking: running rich, fuel tank cracked, radiator cracked etc. When I came back RTV patched cracks the car started & running like usual.

My second project car was garaged more than 6 months for twice, each time started imediately on leftover gasohol 95 & running perfectly fine )

Archived