How is T21 doing?

thaibeachlovers

I really cant see us going to t21 all that often ,just as we do not go to other mslls that much,when i had the office in BKK we used to go to MBK but that really was only because the train stopped there and there was a market .
Here in Pattaya as i said before we only eat in a food court if we are there at lunch time,would never go there specially . And T21 is a bit touristy,but then everyone to their own ,

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

The 'theme' thing will age badly in about 8-10 years time

The one in Asok is about 7 years old now, even if they renovate, which Thai  malls seem to do once every decade, they have painted themselves into a corner for being known for the Airport/different locale for each floor theme. How many way can you make a Golden Gate bridge and Pisa Tower? 

The glass and metal 'airport' bits are unonffensive enough, the statue and theme decor while for tourist who don't come to Thailand often and only gets to see it once or twice is fine, but for us locals seeing the same thing every time will probaly get old and tacky, or maybe it'll work like in 2-3 years time someone will post that there's an exiting new restaurant by the fat cat on the Japanese floor.

Central Plaza in Pinklao in Bangkok used to have a full-on faux roman theme with columns and stuff, all gone now. Most 80's or early 90's mall in Bangkok that survives is all renovated and barely resembles their former selves.

Central Festival Beach road is going to be 'refreshed' next year, They already had the tacky theme in Central Marina which doesn't seem to draw the crowds who's just there to take pictures like T21, would be interesting to see how will Central Beach road will turn into

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, dotpoom said:

Slightly off topic.

I visited the "Harbour" shopping mall yesterday to see how it was doing (was at the opening).

It was devastating...a very beautiful mall with all the latest "gagets" for adults and children. I went through every floor ...not a sinner of a customer. The place was like a morgue. Staff all bored silly. It has the facilities to be a wonderful mall....the whole experience was simply depressing...so so sad 

Well, one of my predictions has come true then. Far too many malls for a city the size of Pattaya. Strange that the people that build them don't seem to do any research first. All in Pattaya and none in Jomptien either.

99 replies! Thanks all for taking the time to write.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, Jingthing said:

In fairness that's blown up commercial food promotional art and also a double burger. I've been meaning to try that place for their baked daily "potato buns" alone. That looks like one of them in the picture. 

A person that finds that picture "disgusting" is probably either playing a drama queen, a vegetarian,  or dislikes burgers because of toxic anti-Americanism.

I think they find it disgusting either because it represents gluttony writ large, or it ( probably ) has so much saturated fat it would kill someone like me if I ate it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

The 'theme' thing will age badly in about 8-10 years time

The one in Asok is about 7 years old now, even if they renovate, which Thai  malls seem to do once every decade, they have painted themselves into a corner for being known for the Airport/different locale for each floor theme. How many way can you make a Golden Gate bridge and Pisa Tower? 

The glass and metal 'airport' bits are unonffensive enough, the statue and theme decor while for tourist who don't come to Thailand often and only gets to see it once or twice is fine, but for us locals seeing the same thing every time will probaly get old and tacky, or maybe it'll work like in 2-3 years time someone will post that there's an exiting new restaurant by the fat cat on the Japanese floor.

Central Plaza in Pinklao in Bangkok used to have a full-on faux roman theme with columns and stuff, all gone now. Most 80's or early 90's mall in Bangkok that survives is all renovated and barely resembles their former selves.

Central Festival Beach road is going to be 'refreshed' next year, They already had the tacky theme in Central Marina which doesn't seem to draw the crowds who's just there to take pictures like T21, would be interesting to see how will Central Beach road will turn into

I disagree.   The major design elements like the Golden Gate Bridge, Eiffel Tower, etc. are timeless. They don't need to be remade.  They'll always be new for tourists and regulars will likely grow fond of them. I was at T21 in Bangkok the other day, weekday, and it was packed.  Nobody tiring of the design concept there.  It shouldn't be hard to refresh the design from time to time while keeping the signature elements.

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Why are people obsessed with only the food court? There are scads of actual restaurants and some of them are wonderful and unique to Pattaya.

One thing that I dont like very much about those other restaurants is that they only have an indoor view. I like to be somewhere that has a view to outside. Sizzler in Royal Garden has one (if you sit in the right place) as does the food court at T21.

• Like 1

Well, one of my predictions has come true then. Far too many malls for a city the size of Pattaya. Strange that the people that build them don't seem to do any research first. All in Pattaya and none in Jomptien either.
99 replies! Thanks all for taking the time to write.
Harbour mall is in the wrong position ,no tourists go up there.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

One thing that I dont like very much about those other restaurants is that they only have an indoor view. I like to be somewhere that has a view to outside. Sizzler in Royal Garden has one (if you sit in the right place) as does the food court at T21.

True, but some of them do like Savoey Seafood and some others that aren't even open yet.

• 1 month later...

I went there for the first time this weekend and I like it. never seen so many restaurants in a shopping mall before.

Lots and lots of people, getting in and out was a problem, glad we live near-by and could take the scooter, getting in and park a car must had been a nightmare.

Guessing about 75-80% Thais, many Chinese and some Westerners.

All in all a good addition to Pattaya.

• Like 2

Harbour mall is in the wrong position ,no tourists go up there.

Went to harbour again the other day,the supermarket is now half the size it used to be,how long before it closes like the one in Leam Chabang? As for t21 food court still very good,but prefere Central for walking around.

I go to central and terminal several times a week each.

Both are busy. Very busy on weekends.

Both have a lot to offer.

I don't see any of them having problems continuing to work.

The food choices at terminal are great. The theater is good. And the variety in shopping is nice. Plus, you know, After You.

Central has its department store and food store, so it's got naught to worry about.

I stopped going to harbor mall when half the stores closed up. Very sad and depressing. So few food choices on an empty bleak floor

Same with marina center. The front half is effectively empty. The big c supercenter back half is doing well tho.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You would think they would try put on some sales at Harbor to bring people in but nothing is ever on sale there.  Things cost the same as anywhere else and sometimes more.  I think KFC is slightly cheaper than the other malls on 2nd road.   About the same price as the KFC's at BigC south.

Edited by lapd

People claiming T21 will die slowly after a few months, doesn't know what their talking about. Went on Tuesday at 10 PM , very late , and even then I could hardly find a seat in the food court.  

Maybe more busy than usual because of the holiday, but still. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lapd said:

You would think they would try put on some sales at Harbor to bring people in but nothing is ever on sale there.  Things cost the same as anywhere else and sometimes more.  I think KFC is slightly cheaper than the other malls on 2nd road.   About the same price as the KFC's at BigC south.

The mentality of shop owners at Harbor does not help.

Went for two parts to fix the laptop.

They (two outlets) refused to sell me the parts, unless I brought the machine in for them to do it.

One tried to charge me 1500 for a replacement keyboard.

But said 700 extra to fit 

Bought my own in Lazada.

320 baht.. and it worked.

8 hours ago, balo said:

People claiming T21 will die slowly after a few months, doesn't know what their talking about. Went on Tuesday at 10 PM , very late , and even then I could hardly find a seat in the food court.  

the food court is only a small portion of that mall and was always designed to provide at a competivve price.... the real story is how are the shops doing outside the food court

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, balo said:

There has never been any subject in the history of ThaiVisa where you didn't get a bunch of negative nonsense cheerleading for failure.

Edited by lapd

On 1/3/2019 at 12:32 AM, lapd said:

There has never been any subject in the history of ThaiVisa where you didn't get a bunch of negative nonsense cheerleading for failure.

Well that " bunch" was right in that about Harbor - Avenue - The Bay and from recent posts I believe central marina and The little walk may be serious contenders in the near future.

Partner and I tried to go to T21 today.  I thought it would be a mistake to go on the weekend and I was right.  The line to get in the parking garage was just too long and was hardly moving.  We went to Marina instead and will leave T21 for weekdays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Well that " bunch" was right in that about Harbor - Avenue - The Bay and from recent posts I believe central marina and The little walk may be serious contenders in the near future.

I have commented before about Harbor.

But was surprised yesterday the place was pretty busy and the parking area almost full.

I do not see it closing down.

Central Marina is not even close to having a problem it is doing very well since the renovations.

It is mostly a Thai shopping mall many Thai families and the movies are mostly Thai language.

I do not see it closing down.

Surprisingly The Avenue seems to be trying to survive with the new food court and some of the other venues.  I agree it does not seem to be that crowded great place to go to a movie if you do not like crowds.

The Bay seems like stupidity what a great spot that would have been for a nice hotel.  It is too far off the road and for some reason people generally do not like to go up to other floors at outdoor malls ( same as the Avenue).

Little Walk?  That is Index Living mall?  Never been there I guess I need to check it out.

• Like 2

I went to "Marina" today too ..it seemed very quiet,the food court in the separate building in front was dead..only a very few restaurants open no customers in the open ones !...still crazy prices for the remaining open shops proving the less customers raise the price to make up the shortfall concept....except it doesn't work...totally dead.

I feel the reason most  malls don’t work is because they all sell the same things. Thailand hasn’t got a good fashion buisness, you can’t count all the cheap stuff they sell in markets, and the outlet stores that sell abominations. I love clothes and have never bought a thing in Thailand in 34 years. Other countries have reasonable fashion shops, look at Bali, I bought a suitcase full of great things. Most girls/ women buy if it’s great designs. Of course if you can afford Chanel and Dior prices , it’s easier. Though why would you buy that in Thailand, they have numerous stores in every big city. Chinese maybe. There’s no marketing, the mall managers should choose different makes to attract customers, if it’s fashion or food.

22 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Right about what?  Those places are all still up and running are they not?  Please spare me with the aaaany day nonsense.  People have been saying that about Avenue for years.  Carrying costs are almost nothing.  So it does not take much to stay viable.

Oh, and how is that "the tunnel is totally going to flood for sure" thing going???

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, NanLaew said:

Another one is the 'pointless' Avenue on Second which admittedly has seen more retail churn that most others but it's still there, still evolving, still existing.

IMO the tragedy of Avenues is that they chose to have a non AC mall, when it would have been possible to put up big glass walls and have a cool mall. That, IMO is why it never took off when it should have. Had it been AC, it would have done really well. I was there for the opening ceremony, and I predicted even then that the lack of AC would doom it. I wasn't wrong.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JayBird said:

Avenue has Villa. It's ok.
The walk on sukhumuvit had Villa and Starbucks and parking. If I lived east side I would be there frequently.

On the list of things that should die, Mike's shopping mall should be first. The fact it's there means things don't die easily here.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well, they are turning the Mikeś building into a hotel.  Except for the first floor which should remain a shopping zone.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO the tragedy of Avenues is that they chose to have a non AC mall, when it would have been possible to put up big glass walls and have a cool mall. That, IMO is why it never took off when it should have. Had it been AC, it would have done really well. I was there for the opening ceremony, and I predicted even then that the lack of AC would doom it. I wasn't wrong.

The lack of AC doesn't help but it's mainly just a very poorly managed, very unattractively presented shopping center.  It's in a prime spot so it soldiers on, patiently waiting for some competent, imaginative management.