What is your method to stay here (changes in the embassy letters)

Type of Visa/Extension method  

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Not more than 180 days in the country a year. It's all so tedious and boring. Have 800 thousand festering in a Thai bank waiting to be embezzled or lost in a crash? No thanks. I'm always astonished at those so keen to spend every last waking day of their time left on God's earth in a place with such a hostile attitude to foreigners.

The Thai authorities sure do have a hostile attitude to foreigners, and the UK have a hostile attitude to their own, so us UK expats are stuck between a rock and a hard place, in saying that, the good still outweighs the bad here in Thailand.

If the Thai authorities had a bit of a brain they could do very well for the country as a whole where us foreigners are concerned.

They could easily have their businesses booming, full hotels, restaurants, full shopping malls etc, etc, with the help of foreign tourists and quality ex pats if they would just treat us as proper human beings.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Wondering if any countries old age pension actually meets the 65k income. I know the Australian OAP falls short and people have mentioned that other countries age pensions also fall short.

The DSP (Disabled) and the OAP fall far short. If you have just about no money in the bank, you will get the full benefit but that is around 41,000-42,000 a month. I think in some or many cases if you had to come up with the 800,00, a lot of Aussie Pensioners would not make it as they would not have the funds. You can go to a Government Calculator and see how much a month you would get from a pension with assets, cash, shares, etc in the bank.

Only those that have an Industry Pension with savings/shares would get over the line. Once you get up to the AUD$700K in savings/assets range of an OAP, your not getting much a month. You need to spend it down.

Still, most of us can get 65K a month (4-5% return in Dividends) on a 700K nest egg, so you are in fact better off not being on a Pension but then, it would be pretty hard to prove in fact (if they want you to show next years guessed figures) on what your going to earn.

Like my parents have interest from bonds, dividends from shares and covered call share option premium but it is NEVER a 100% provable figure as the conditions change each year. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

As a guy married to a Thai national, I could put 400.000 baht in the bank, but I do not agree with it, why I should, I have bought a house, cars and motorbikes, contributed to the Thai economy.

You should because Thai Immigration say you should. And if you do not like it....bye bye.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rubik101 said:

There must be hundreds of residents who have been here for many years who have relied on the letters of income from the embassies. Many of them will have been here for many years, be married and have dependent children/families, etc. If they do not have 400k or 800k in the bank they will be in real difficulties when it comes to renewing their Non O visa. If the Thai gov't insist on the bank deposit then I fear many people will be forced to leave if they are unable to raise that amount of money when on a fixed pension income. There needs to be a solution from the Thai Immigration Service and it needs to be published very soon.

If people are forced to leave:

1. You have to have money to leave

2. You have to have some place to go

Both which cost money

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're making dangerous assumptions.

First, the U.S. embassy doesn't determine whether the letters will be honored in 2019. Thai immigration does.

Secondly, at this date, there exists NO OTHER way to do an income based application without a letter.

So what you're preparing for is something nobody knows will exist.

Smarter to prepare for a bank account method.

To wit from another very credible source. This predated my report about the report from the head man at Jomtien immigration --

http://www.pattayamail.com/mailbag/no-ambiguity-229347

That quote is from Barry Kenyon, the former British honorary consul in Pattaya.

LOL, I just read your article as well and that’s not what Pattaya immigration is even saying it’s not even a credible source it’s just some news article dating back to October but now we have more official guidance.  Although you are correct that immigration hasn’t actually made any official guidelines yet as far as how they want to verify our income next year but they will still accept the income affidavit for six months after completion into next year (at least for US citizens anyway I don’t know about other citizens from other countries) and that’s official guidance from the top Immigration Bureau Officials being put out THROUGH the United States Embassy.  I never said that it was US embassy policy that’s the immigration policy, in fact that’s the only official guidance immigration has put out THROUGH the US Embassy as well as saying that they will support early renewals which is also OFFICIAL GUIDANCE that was put out by Thai Immigration THROUGH the US Embassy.  The US Embassy says that information actually came directly from “Thai Immigration Bureau Officials” unless they lied but I highly doubt that because that’s their official guidance that they are putting out which Thai immigration has told them.

What some “former” British government official wrote in an article is hardly official guidance, no offense.  I don’t know about you but I’m going with the official guidance put out by my embassy and my local immigration office.  When I first replied to you earlier I thought you meant that Pattaya immigration was saying that but then I read your posted article and it turns out that it was not from Pattaya immigration or from any immigration office at all.  The article was just written by some British dude who I guess apparently used to work in Thailand who wrote that little article and my mistake you didn’t mean Pattaya immigration said that it’s just some random article from back in October.  So that’s definitely not official guidance at all what Thai Immigration Bureau Officials have put out THROUGH my embassy anyway IS in fact official guidance.  Now I don’t know if that official guidance only applies to US citizens as I am or everyone.  If I were you especially if you are not a US citizen I highly suggest that you ask your embassy from wherever you’re from and of course your local immigration office.  

I’m actually going by the official guidance and official messages you know like actual facts.  I don’t mean to be a smart ass but there’s already been way too much misinformation about this issue which is causing a lot of mass hysteria out there.  People need to stick with the facts and official guidance not the rumor mill.  And I do think that based on what’s going on having maybe half of my monthly income or at least the minimum monthly income requirement going into a Thai bank account every month on payday isn’t such a bad idea for next year when they totally stop accepting the income affidavits so that way at least I know I’m following the immigration laws from now on.  I just want to be in accordance with Thai immigration laws I’m just trying to be safe it’s not a dangerous assumption at all.  The worst thing that could possibly happen is that I open a Thai bank account and not actually need it next year.  

And I really am sorry if I come off as a smart ass but I’m just tired of all the rumors especially now that we actually do have a little bit more official guidance.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been on the UK embassy letter the past 4 years for the Marriage extension. I have documents proving a Gross pension of well over 40,000 baht a month, so that was never a problem. Now, however ... A friend actually emailed the British Embassy about asking TI exactly what they would accept, and got a reply! (end of good news). They said that they couldn't possibly get involved in any decisions by Thai Immigration, and just quoted the (current) immigration rules. So apart from the 400,000 cash in the bank, nothing is certain, and although they SAY letters will be good for 6 months, many IO's are saying not accepted after January 1st! They make their own rules ...

What will i do? My extension is due in January, so hopefully the embassy letter will work and i will go early, late in December just in case. So my problem is what to do in 2020. I would prefer to go the income route if still allowed BUT we need to know exactly what will be accepted, but i can wait and see. The income route is best for me as then i do not have to worry about money getting tied up in a Thai bank account after death, and i also get much better interest rates in the UK (between 2.5 and 5.0%). I have just borrowed sufficient money in the UK to top up my savings and do the 400,000 baht in the bank if needed but too late to mature the money in a Thai account for my 2019 extension. If the only option is 400,000 in the bank for 2020, i will bring it over. 

Many British people rely on good pensions, and blow whatever savings they have after retirement on a new car and house. I suspect getting 800,000, or even 400,000 baht in cash will be problematic for many. I see visas agents becoming millionaires next year (If BJ doesn't crack down on that).

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am on my 11th extension of stay based upon marriage using a income affidavit to prove my Social Security payments that are well above the 40k baht requirement that I will have to renew next August.

I will have over 2 years (longer by showing the previous bank books) showing over 40k baht going into a Thai bank account then. I will also have proof of my income by using original documents from the SSA.

If they say I can only show 400k baht in the bank I will have my wife ask them why she should take the money out of her account that is for emergencies and after I am gone. It would be costly due to the type of account it is in concurs penalties for early withdrawal. I can assure you that she will let them know that she would not be pleased about having to do that.

I'm right up with you there UJ. I am preparing for an income based marriage renewal in August. I will have all the evidence one could ask for to prove that I comfortably meet the income requirements.

If they try and knock it back I shall leave it to my wife to ask how she is going to manage once I'm forced to leave the country.

Personally I do not believe it will come to that. Thai Immigration, to me, are not the ogres that so many on this forum have portrayed  and are not out to get us. (unless of course, we have been a little less than honest with our respective embassies!)

I'm quite sure that come next August, procedures will be in place to enable man and wife to continue to living together as they have chosen to do so, without let or hindrance.

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

You're making dangerous assumptions.

First, the U.S. embassy doesn't determine whether the letters will be honored in 2019. Thai immigration does.

Secondly, at this date, there exists NO OTHER way to do an income based application without a letter.

So what you're preparing for is something nobody knows will exist.

Smarter to prepare for a bank account method.

To wit from another very credible source. This predated my report about the report from the head man at Jomtien immigration --

http://www.pattayamail.com/mailbag/no-ambiguity-229347

That quote is from Barry Kenyon, the former British honorary consul in Pattaya.

I don’t know if my last post went through I got an error message but I actually read your article and an article written back in October by some “former” British government official is hardly official guidance.  I thought you meant that Pattaya immigration said that but I was wrong.  I read the article and it’s not from Pattaya immigration or any immigration office at all, it’s from some dude who apparently used to work here for the British government.  I’m sorry but I’m gonna stick with the official guidance put out by Thai Immigration Bureau Officials THROUGH the US Embassy.  I never actually said that it was US Embassy policy and it’s not, the official guidance that the United States Embassy has put out is actually from “Thai Immigration Bureau Officials” of course the embassy doesn’t control what immigration does.  Immigration controls it you’re right however that official guidance actually came from Thai Immigration Bureau Officials and was put out to the public THROUGH the US Embassy.  And it actually does say that specifically on the US Embassy website that it’s according to the Thai Immigration Bureau Officials and in the email they sent me about the six month grace period during this “transition period” as they phrased it (the email came from the US Embassy).  

But according to the United States Embassy actual THAI IMMIGRATION BUREAU OFFICIALS have confirmed that that they will continue to accept the income affidavit for up to six months after the date it’s completed into next year.  That’s official guidance from immigration put out THROUGH the US Embassy and my local immigration office has told me the exact same thing today.  I don’t mean to be a smart ass and I’m sorry if that’s how I sound but I kind of had to laugh when I read your article because that’s definitely not even close to official guidance.  I’m just tired of all the rumors about this issue like this article you posted which has led to a lot of mass hysteria out there about this.  People need to stick with actual facts and not here say like this article you posted apparently written by some “former” British government employee.  Especially now that we have a little bit more official guidance and messages from the embassy containing information that came directly from the THAI IMMIGRATION BUREAU OFFICIALS as it also says on the embassy website, that information isn’t from the embassy it’s information from Thai immigration they obtained after the embassy actually communicated with immigration.  

Now I don’t know if that official guidance applies to just US citizens like me or everyone I assume it does but I would still highly recommend that you ask your home country’s embassy and your local immigration office as I have and don’t listen to all the misinformation, rumors, and half truths all over the internet.  

Additionally I’m not making a dangerous assumption or really any assumptions I’m just going by known facts.  I do understand that immigration has not actually said how they will want to verify our income next year when they eventually do totally stop accepting the income affidavits after the six month grace period during the “transition period” as they phrased it at the embassy.  So you’re right about that at least.  But my embassy told me that next year in 2020 they will PROBABLY and I emphasize probably want to see money being transferred from my home country into a Thai bank account.  So it’s definitely not a bad idea to be prepared for next time and have money going into a Thai bank account every month on payday because really what’s the worst that could happen, I open a Thai bank account start transferring money into every month and not really need it in 2020, if so I don’t care.  I just want to make sure that I’m in accordance with Thai Immigration laws.  It’s best to be prepared ahead of time and not do it at the last minute because that’s how you run into problems later.  

Some article posted by some ex British government employee is definitely not official guidance at all and it’s not even credible because the article was written in October before immigration gave the US Embassy their official guidance regarding the income affidavits.  People really need to just focus on the facts and official guidance and not rumors like this article.  I mean no offense but stuff like that is contributing to all the mass hysteria about this issue.  

Edited by Issanjohn

8 hours ago, doctormann said:

Well, I was hoping to use the UK Embassy letter for my next extension but it looks as though this will not work because of the unfortunate fall of the dates.

My next extension is not due until 22 July so i would, normally, apply 30 days earlier, on 22 June.  I can get an Embassy letter by applying by 12 December but what the issue date would be is uncertain.  As the Embassy say that they will provide the letter 'within 10 working days' it is entirely possible that the issue date would be before 22 December.  I asked the Embassy if they could post-date the letter but they will not.  What you get is what you get! 

You can see the potential problem here.  Jomptien Immigration will allow extensions to be done 30 days early and I had heard that 45 days was allowable under some circumstances.  However, when I asked about this today - I was there for a 90-day report - the lady assistant on the retirement desk - admittedly, not the actual IO -was quite adamant that 30 days was the maximum allowable.  This means that the Embassy letter would likely have exceeded its 6-month life span by the time that I applied.  Bummer!!

Looks like the 800k in the bank route is the only viable option - unless Thai Immigration alters its stance on what is acceptable proof of income.  I can provide bank statements going back 14 years - both UK and Thai banks - but, as we know, at present these mean nothing without the Embassy letter.

We really need some decision by TI as soon as possible - always assuming that they are willing to change anything.  I really would prefer to leave my 800k invested where it currently is, rather than deposit it in a Thai bank.  If I have to do this, I will, but it can't be done overnight - takes time to liquidate investments.  I have time enough right now but I shall have to decide what to do by the end of the year.

Anyone asked the same, or similar question at Jomptien?

Think you'll find the embassy letter won't be worth the paper it's written on next year, io advised me last week, no need spend money on embassy letter, next year just show 800k in Thai Bank account, that's my 2bobs worth. 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

As a guy married to a Thai national, I could put 400.000 baht in the bank, but I do not agree with it, why I should, I have bought a house, cars and motorbikes, contributed to the Thai economy.

Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not.

Rules are rules and for now, those are the rules

I have tons of documentation from Social Security, Alabama State Retirement System and my TIAA-CREF annuity, but none of these seem acceptable. They want the Embassy letter, which is no longer available. I did my renewal in early October with the Embassy letter that I got back in March. I now have about a year to get something together that is acceptable to Immigration or pay one of the outrageously priced "visa agencies" to get my extension for me. The embassies seem to lack any need to take care of the people they are supposed to be representing. What exactly are they being PAID for???  Certainly there has been no coherent communication from Immigration. It seems to take six months for them to process anything. If nothing else, my yearly tax statements ought to qualify me for a renewal. I draw over 79 thousand baht a month from three income streams and none of the paperwork from these agencies seems to be understood. Do they need a signed statement from President Trump or the Dalai Lama??

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Wondering if any countries old age pension actually meets the 65k income.

As far as I know are all pensions paid by one governmental office of pension in Belgium.

I am certainly not in the highest category ( civil servants are ) but my net pension is now 2175 Euro monthly ( 81000 ThB, it used to be 110000 ) and 3000 Euro in May ( Pension + holiday allowance ). 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I'm replying to your post simply as an example.... not to you specifically...

Anyone who's bought significant assets in T/L should be able to raise a loan against them to raise the necessary funds for seeding your bank.

If you've bought property for family, they SHOULD be happy to mortgage for you, in order to keep the golden goose laying.... 

Likewise anyone with a condo(s) in your own name should be able to secure sufficient funds at a reasonably low rate, although you'd probably only get 50% or less of it 's value.

• Like 2

LOL, I just read your article as well and that’s not what Pattaya immigration is even saying it’s not even a credible source it’s just some news article dating back to October but now we have more official guidance.  Although you are correct that immigration hasn’t actually made any official guidelines yet as far as how they want to verify our income next year but they will still accept the income affidavit for six months after completion into next year (at least for US citizens anyway I don’t know about other citizens from other countries) and that’s official guidance from the top Immigration Bureau Officials being put out THROUGH the United States Embassy.  I never said that it was US embassy policy that’s the immigration policy, in fact that’s the only official guidance immigration has put out THROUGH the US Embassy as well as saying that they will support early renewals which is also OFFICIAL GUIDANCE that was put out by Thai Immigration THROUGH the US Embassy.  The US Embassy says that information actually came directly from “Thai Immigration Bureau Officials” unless they lied but I highly doubt that because that’s their official guidance that they are putting out which Thai immigration has told them.

What some “former” British government official wrote in an article is hardly official guidance, no offense.  I don’t know about you but I’m going with the official guidance put out by my embassy and my local immigration office.  When I first replied to you earlier I thought you meant that Pattaya immigration was saying that but then I read your posted article and it turns out that it was not from Pattaya immigration or from any immigration office at all.  The article was just written by some British dude who I guess apparently used to work in Thailand who wrote that little article and my mistake you didn’t mean Pattaya immigration said that it’s just some random article from back in October.  So that’s definitely not official guidance at all what Thai Immigration Bureau Officials have put out THROUGH my embassy anyway IS in fact official guidance.  Now I don’t know if that official guidance only applies to US citizens as I am or everyone.  If I were you especially if you are not a US citizen I highly suggest that you ask your embassy from wherever you’re from and of course your local immigration office.  

I’m actually going by the official guidance and official messages you know like actual facts.  I don’t mean to be a smart ass but there’s already been way too much misinformation about this issue which is causing a lot of mass hysteria out there.  People need to stick with the facts and official guidance not the rumor mill.  And I do think that based on what’s going on having maybe half of my monthly income or at least the minimum monthly income requirement going into a Thai bank account every month on payday isn’t such a bad idea for next year when they totally stop accepting the income affidavits so that way at least I know I’m following the immigration laws from now on.  I just want to be in accordance with Thai immigration laws I’m just trying to be safe it’s not a dangerous assumption at all.  The worst thing that could possibly happen is that I open a Thai bank account and not actually need it next year.  

And I really am sorry if I come off as a smart ass but I’m just tired of all the rumors especially now that we actually do have a little bit more official guidance.  
It seems as if you intentionally misread what I've been posting here.

The main thing was the very recent report from the head of Jomtien immigration.

The reference to Barry Kenyan was much older and secondary.

In any case I wish you and everyone else the best of luck with their immigration matters.

Cheerio.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

25 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

As far as I know are all pensions paid by one governmental office of pension in Belgium.

I am certainly not in the highest category ( civil servants are ) but my net pension is now 2175 Euro monthly ( 81000 ThB, it used to be 110000 ) and 3000 Euro in May ( Pension + holiday allowance ). 

Does the 80k represent a standard government old age pension ? Thats double the Australian standard pension. It appears you have an old age pension based on what your job was, in Australia its the same pension whether you were a truck driver or a doctor (except politicians) 

9 hours ago, rubik101 said:

There must be hundreds of residents who have been here for many years who have relied on the letters of income from the embassies. Many of them will have been here for many years, be married and have dependent children/families, etc. If they do not have 400k or 800k in the bank they will be in real difficulties when it comes to renewing their Non O visa. If the Thai gov't insist on the bank deposit then I fear many people will be forced to leave if they are unable to raise that amount of money when on a fixed pension income. There needs to be a solution from the Thai Immigration Service and it needs to be published very soon.

Granting PR to anyone 'doing things properly' would make life easier all round but TIT ????

Edited by evadgib

At this time I’m a self funded retiree on a METV. Once this runs out next July I will switch to an ED Visa. 

As I’m 41 at the present time if that becomes too much of a hassle I’ll either marry my girlfriend (doubtful) or go the Thai Elite route. There really isn’t much available for under 50’s unfortunately 

Ubonjoe 

Received my Retirement extension Oct 2018

- Does it need to be renewed Oct. 2019? Or is there additional time? 

- Visa by marriage is the village marriage accepted? 

- The 65,000 a month in bank. Do the funds have to stay in bank? Or only show 65k as deposited each month.? 

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Ubonjoe 

- The 65,000 a month in bank. Do the funds have to stay in bank? Or only show 65k as deposited each month.? 

Thanks

About the second point, a village marriage is not accepted, only the official one.

the first point, if you really are married you can (I think) ask for a 2 months extra time (one time only). so October 2019 or december 2019.

About your third point I think I am not sure if this someone can answer your at the moment… We will see if UbonJoe can answer this...

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

I have been on the UK embassy letter the past 4 years for the Marriage extension. I have documents proving a Gross pension of well over 40,000 baht a month, so that was never a problem. Now, however ... A friend actually emailed the British Embassy about asking TI exactly what they would accept, and got a reply! (end of good news). They said that they couldn't possibly get involved in any decisions by Thai Immigration, and just quoted the (current) immigration rules. So apart from the 400,000 cash in the bank, nothing is certain, and although they SAY letters will be good for 6 months, many IO's are saying not accepted after January 1st! They make their own rules ...

What will i do? My extension is due in January, so hopefully the embassy letter will work and i will go early, late in December just in case. So my problem is what to do in 2020. I would prefer to go the income route if still allowed BUT we need to know exactly what will be accepted, but i can wait and see. The income route is best for me as then i do not have to worry about money getting tied up in a Thai bank account after death, and i also get much better interest rates in the UK (between 2.5 and 5.0%). I have just borrowed sufficient money in the UK to top up my savings and do the 400,000 baht in the bank if needed but too late to mature the money in a Thai account for my 2019 extension. If the only option is 400,000 in the bank for 2020, i will bring it over. 

Many British people rely on good pensions, and blow whatever savings they have after retirement on a new car and house. I suspect getting 800,000, or even 400,000 baht in cash will be problematic for many. I see visas agents becoming millionaires next year (If BJ doesn't crack down on that).

Thailand is gearing up for an election that may or may not happen. They are not worried about a bunch of foreigners and their immigration status right now. Maybe after February if there is no unrest in the country. They will get down to deciding what to do with us. Until then, I wouldn't expect too much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

At this time I’m a self funded retiree on a METV. Once this runs out next July I will switch to an ED Visa. 

As I’m 41 at the present time if that becomes too much of a hassle I’ll either marry my girlfriend (doubtful) or go the Thai Elite route. There really isn’t much available for under 50’s unfortunately 

Back to back tourist visas was standard operating procedure for the under 50s before 2011-2012..... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Ubonjoe 

Thanks

As said it need to be renewed before expiration date of current permitted to stay.  Yes if officially married you could get a different 2 month extension at same price with spouse and official paperwork - but these is no additional time allowed on any extension of stay.

Only a marriage with paperwork registered at a local District Office is accepted.  If foreign marriage paperwork still needs to be recorded here of that marriage.

There is no current 65k per month into bank account method - either 800k in bank account or Embassy letter of income of more than 65k or a combination to meet 800k per year.