I would like to retire on a farm

georgegeorgia

As long as you don't sell any of your produce I think you'll be fine and outside of the work permit scope.

You can't own land but you could rent it afaik.

I just know this all theoretically, maybe some of the active farming members have the one or other advice.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CLW said:

As long as you don't sell any of your produce I think you'll be fine and outside of the work permit scope.

I just know this all theoretically, maybe some of the active farming members have the one or other advice.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have a sticky rice, tobacco farm near LomSak.

I lasted about a week, too hot, too much like hard work, too far from civilization, too many bitey creatures and snakes.

My former MiL lives there now, can't sell it, it's in my 7-year-old sons' name.

(haven't been there for 6 years)

I love watching the youtube videos of a farang and his wife on a farm, i thunk they did sell their produce.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CLW said:

Theory and real life practice are two different worlds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're a tougher man than me!

I understand why people start drinking in the outback now, or start drinking more! 

Well, if you manage a farm with dedicated trustworthy workers and family, it can be a walk in the park, but in most cases, that is not the situation. 

I would plant hardwood, and make sure they could take care and also visit so often I can myself. Also plant areas with other things, and a fishing pond, is what I would like to start with. Start small and expand if it works out well. 

However, I know I can not live there to long myself, and need timeouts when other people care for my gf investment. 

50 acres is far too much for a hobby farm as others above have stated. It will be more like constant physical work, particularly in the wet season when you can sit and watch the weeds grow 3 times as fast as the crops.

The wife loves the farm life and is very energetic so her and her family do most of the work, planting and harvesting. Except they do not like weeding, at times I think they look on them as another crop, not a nuisance.. We have had 3 rai (leased) for the last 2 years growing different vegetables. There is no money in it as market prices vary a lot but are mostly low. We had to put in irrigation to be able to grow through the dry season so that is another expense. The farm/garden has lost over 100K in those two years so if it is a hobby that does not matter. Remember this is just on 3 rai, not 50 acres.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1