What is an outlet store?

bluesofa

I was always under the impression that an 'outlet store' was run by the manufacturer of the items, apparently selling them cheaper than in the usual retail shops?

To quote wiki: "An outlet store or factory outlet is a brick and mortar or online store in which manufacturers sell their stock directly to the public"

However, it does go on to say:

"At factory outlets, the products sold are from one brand only. Manufacturers who sell only their own products at a reduced price run factory outlets. On the other hand, retailers run outlet stores, and various brands are sold there."

I ask because I see that Central are talking about opening an outlet store in Bangkok. What's there difference between selling them at an outlet store and selling them in Central Festival for example?

Or have I missed something obvious?

• Like 1

From what I've seen of the outlet stores here is they're usually selling off aged, outdated stock/models/lines, slow moving stuff, maybe lines with only limited sizing left....It's a way to still claim some "premium" pricing for for the brand loyalist shoppers....

Not much choice or variety....

Central will probably use it also like a clearing house, keeping the new trendy stuff moving through their mainline store & the close out/past close out/clearance items through their "outlet" store reaching conumers that might not ever go to their main stores......

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

Looking for the best price on name brands?? Outlet stores are your go to place. Last seasons line, slow moving styles, minor flaws are there for amazing prices. Of course I am referring to those places in the U.S. Here in Thailand I can get the top of the line knockoffs without much trouble. And really who needs to be a modern day Beau Brummel in this climate?

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lipflipper said:

Looking for the best price on name brands?? Outlet stores are your go to place. Last seasons line, slow moving styles, minor flaws are there for amazing prices. Of course I am referring to those places in the U.S. Here in Thailand I can get the top of the line knockoffs without much trouble. And really who needs to be a modern day Beau Brummel in this climate?

Seems to me the concept has changed, originally an outlet to sell off excess stock and at least recover all costs an perhaps even make some profit, therefor fairly low prices.

In reality unsold stock is a big burden / nightmare in the fashion manufacturing industry which is highly unpredictable.

But it seems everybody wants to now use the term 'outlet', capitalism at work. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I ask because I see that Central are talking about opening an outlet store in Bangkok.

Central Group already has (for several years) an 'outlet' in Bangkok -- in this case a mini-shopping mall -- on the ground floor of the Jewelry Trade Center tower in Silom (near crossing with Surasak). It's called Bangkok Fashion Outlet. It's not openly promoted as part of Central, but most locals know that it is. It seems to serve both Centtral's own lines and a number of their in-store concessionaires, such as Marks and Spencer. Prices can be very good, but merchandise selection is constantly changing. It's clearly a place where slow moving or redundant merchandise is sold off. It has recently become a Bangkok 'attraction' for Chinese tourists who are dropped here by their tour buses.

The best example in Bangkok of a classic outlet store that I know is the Jim Thompson 'Factory Outlet' large store in Suk 93 (near BTS Bang Chak), where you can get genuine Jim Thompson quality (especially fabrics by the meter) at prices somewhat lower that the main JT shops.

I like a nice Ralph Lauren Polo shirt and once had a friend extol the virtues of visiting the Ralph Lauren outlet store in Farang Land.  The colour of the shirt made my eyes bleed.  I'm sure you get my drift. 

Up to you.  

23 hours ago, lipflipper said:

Looking for the best price on name brands?? Outlet stores are your go to place. Last seasons line, slow moving styles, minor flaws are there for amazing prices. Of course I am referring to those places in the U.S.

Exactly.... US has a lot of Outlet some a pretty good.

Customer from China came for business trip. Meeting in San Francisco wanted me to drive from Los Angeles and we did...... 

3 days driving up (600 km) stopped at every outlet on the way. 

I hate shopping....

• Haha 1

When I visit the North Face Outlet in Berkeley, Ca. On my return visit to San Francisco every Christmas season the place is jammed packed with Chinese tourists buying everything in sight. They have over run the place and make shopping a real problem and that's before the Outlet have their twice yearly sales. Of course having looked at the North Face shops in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and seen the prices even though most of the merchandise is made in Thailand its no wonder nobody buys here. I certainly don't as I can get the same articles for 30% to 40% less in Berkeley.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Plus, if they also offered hokey-cokey lessons, a shake-it-all-about store!!????

But they do TURN AROUND their stock fairly quickly.

That's what it's all about.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 1

On 11/27/2018 at 4:09 PM, kenk24 said:

The outlet stores I have been in are just stores... they have not seemed like bargain stores... most feature one brand... nothing I would go out of my way to shop at... 

The one in Ploenchit Plaza - takes the tags off them after you pay for them, guess they put them on other pairs of the same clothing...........they have stacks of tags near the register.  or is that some sort of scam that the items are not really brand items, knock offs??

• Like 1

Of course having looked at the North Face shops in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and seen the prices even though most of the merchandise is made in Thailand its no wonder nobody buys here. I certainly don't as I can get the same articles for 30% to 40% less in Berkeley.

It’s the same the world over in their normal stores, ridiculously expensive.

My wife and I needed to purchase one of their heavy duty travel bags in Falangland recently but weren’t sure of the size so off we went to their store on our next visit to the local mall. Decided on the colour and size and returned home and purchased it online. Saved a small fortune.

Of course having looked at the North Face shops in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and seen the prices even though most of the merchandise is made in Thailand its no wonder nobody buys here. I certainly don't as I can get the same articles for 30% to 40% less in Berkeley.

It’s the same the world over in their normal stores, ridiculously expensive.

My wife and I needed to purchase one of their heavy duty travel bags in Falangland recently but weren’t sure of the size so off we went to their store on our next visit to the local mall. Decided on the colour and size and returned home and purchased it online. Saved a small fortune.

It can be a manufacturer/brand selling off surplus stock or a general retailer selling off stock that is aged, a season or more old or a high stock item that proved difficult to sell in the regular store.  It’s common practice in retail, as the longer you hold the stock the more difficult it is to sell, and the greater the discount you have to apply to shift it.