Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, nontabury said:

Not quite true, I and many other ex-pats were denied the opportunity to vote in the referendum, due to living outside of the U.K for more then 15 yrs. This in spite of the fact we still pay U.K income tax, and are non immigrants in the country we live.

As an expat in Thailand I still had several years left to vote and I spent some time ensuring that I COULD vote through a proxy back in 2016.

Like you, I also still pay U.K income tax, and am a non immigrants in the country I live.

No taxation without representation.

It worked for the Americans several centuries ago.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It worked for the Americans several centuries ago.

"several"?? We could learn from history......

just over 2 centuries ago, a disparate group of States decided to form a UNION, after about half a century a vociferous minority unilaterally declared independence and seceded the Union brought them back in line - it then transformed and strengthened that union and they continued to include more and more states - none have left since then....in fact it is against the Union constitution to secede.

31 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

"several"?? We could learn from history......

just over 2 centuries ago, a disparate group of States decided to form a UNION, after about half a century a vociferous minority unilaterally declared independence and seceded the Union brought them back in line - it then transformed and strengthened that union and they continued to include more and more states - none have left since then....in fact it is against the Union constitution to secede.

Is it legally stated anywhere that no member of this so called union can leave. 

If so that is probably driving the unelected Bureaucrats in Brussels.

9 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Is it legally stated anywhere that no member of this so called union can leave. 

If so that is probably driving the unelected Bureaucrats in Brussels.

‘The unelected bureaucrats’, please help me, where have I seen that before? Oh yes, I remember, about 10.000 times here on this forum. Boring............

4 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

This is the big Brexit march? That looks really poor. I did not know that the UK is so sparsely populated.

If there are so few, they could all ride with the bus.

imageproxy.jpeg

Could fit them all into the Battle Bus and still have change from 350 million quid.

11 hours ago, malagateddy said:

I was born into a Protestant Family..but gave religion up some time ago.
The current a%$eholes at westminster need to be told to go forth and multiply

Seem to have given up any sense of logic as well.

9 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

That would be James Corbett the Conspiracy Theorist lunatic. No doubt would appeal to some around here.

Obviously not to Remainer retards. Present company excepted, of course.

2 hours ago, damascase said:

‘The unelected bureaucrats’, please help me, where have I seen that before? Oh yes, I remember, about 10.000 times here on this forum. Boring............

Presumably, you somehow missed the Remainer-friendly Guardian's caustic comment piece on the appointment of habitually tired and emotional Jean-Claude Juncker to the EU's top job, headlined, The EU's 'democratic' system that elected a president nobody wants.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/27/eu-democratic-bandwagon-juncker-president-wanted

For your further edification on the subject of the EU's "democratic deficit", Wikipedia observes: "Pro-Europeans. . . argue that the European Union should reform its institutions to make them more accountable, while Eurosceptics argue that the EU should reduce its powers and often campaign for withdrawal from the EU".

Happy to help.

42 minutes ago, vogie said:

I don't want to live in a world when you can't trust what's written on the side of a bus.

Then you'd better find another one, as just about every advert one sees on the side, back or inside of a bus is of questionable veracity. 

Brexit is costing the UK economy $1 billion a week. And it could get worse

The economy is now 2% smaller than it would have been if the United Kingdom had chosen to remain in the bloc, according to the Bank of England. The economic output lost since the referendum is worth about £800 million ($1 billion) per week, or £4.7 million ($6 million) per hour.
The economic consequences have piled up despite there having been no structural changes yet to Britain's trading relationship with EU nations or the rest of the world.

#https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/22/business/brexit-uk-economic-damage/index.html?utm_content=2019-03-22T15%3A52%3A50&

7 hours ago, SheungWan said:

That would be James Corbett the Conspiracy Theorist lunatic. No doubt would appeal to some around here.

Well spotted SW - he sounds convincing at first listen and having looked him up he is just that. 9/11 inside job, the joos etc.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/James_Corbett

Here's Rational Wiki on Brexit - well worth a read.

“”How foul this referendum is. The most depressing, divisive, duplicitous political event of my lifetime. May there never be another.
—Robert Harris, throwing some sense into the situation[1]

“”The context of the referendum meant that it was always going to be a choice of evils: between the racism and bigotry that animated so much of the Leave campaign, and the neoliberalism of both the Cameron government and the EU. The option of a social democratic, or even soft neoliberal, EU was not on the ballot.
—John Quiggin, economist[2]

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Brexit

At your keyboards gentlemen - it's going to be a long day, Let Battle Commence,,,,,

Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019.  https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/229963

392,966 signature

Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.   https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

3,964,674 signatures

Apparently, Nigel has 20 million 'in spirit' on his March which he isn't on. You really couldn't make this up - but he has. Someone should send him a Brexit spirit house to calm him down. 

https://www.indy100.com/article/nigel-farage-brexit-leave-march-20-million-bbc-radio-4-8835046

Where was Nigel after the rain-beaten bedraggled marchers trudged away - in First Class, of course, no doubt on his MEP expenses.  No wonder his (German!) wife left him - imagine having to wake up to that stinking of fags and beer as well.

D2QkPCdXgAAcofC.jpg

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

At your keyboards gentlemen - it's going to be a long day, Let Battle Commence,,,,,

Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019.  https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/229963

392,966 signature

Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.   https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584

3,964,674 signatures

Let us know when it gets to 17.4 million. You do know half the signatures are coming from OUTSIDE the UK.

56 minutes ago, Henryford said:

The flaw however is that no member is ever allowed to withdraw.

Before the UK, no member ever wanted to withdraw (but territories of Member States withdrew, e.g. Algeria and Greenland). And your flaw is that you have most probably never bothered to actually read Article 50, as it is not a matter of ‘being allowed’ to withdraw, but a right to withdraw:

"Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements".

5 minutes ago, damascase said:

Before the UK, no member ever wanted to withdraw (but territories of Member States withdrew, e.g. Algeria and Greenland). And your flaw is that you have most probably never bothered to actually read Article 50, as it is not a matter of ‘being allowed’ to withdraw, but a right to withdraw:

"Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements".

How do you know "no member ever wanted to withdraw" if their respective governments won't allow their citizens a vote on it. I can only assume that the member states governments are scared of the decision their citizens may choose.

18 hours ago, nontabury said:

On T.V news in the U.K. this morning. Tens of thousands,at least of these signatures originated in the E.U. Plus many more from other parts of the world. How this happens I do not know, as I wrongly thought you had to give a post code. Could it be that these remainers simple picked out any post code in the U.K.

Could it be that there are tens of thousands on holiday?

Of course not, the leavers would prefer to believe it was all manipulated, yet stick their head in the sand over the referendum result.

They just want to ignore the fact that if the referendum had been legally binding the result would have been in the courts long before now.

12 minutes ago, vogie said:

How do you know "no member ever wanted to withdraw" if their respective governments won't allow their citizens a vote on it. I can only assume that the member states governments are scared of the decision their citizens may choose.

Your argumentation gets sillier and sillier????

10 minutes ago, damascase said:

Your argumentation gets sillier and sillier????

Are you saying that no other country would like to leave the EU, there is only one way to find out, a referendum, oops sorry I forgot, referendums are pointless. I'm sure France would be a contender for leaving, Macron is hardly in synch with his own citizens now is he.

Archived