Stainless Steel Gutter: Thickness of sheets

Morakot

A builder quoted me 550 bt/metre (including labour) for a stainless steel gutter, grade 304 and 0.4 mm  thickness.

The 304 grade is fine, but I think 0.4 mm  thickness for a hanging box-shaped gutter is quite flimsy.

What would be a reasonable sheet thickness for this type of structure?

I had 0.7 fitted and its too thick to hand bend, perfect with hammer.

Anything less means you are having to fit brackets every 400 instead of 800.

Having said that you can have the thickest gutter in the world but it will leak for sure.

The problem lies threefold. 

The falls are never adequate and you will get airborne soil in it causing a blockage which leads to.....

Standing water.

This finds its way into those poorly made soldered joints which have been made worse by the daily expansion and contraction of the gutters which get to temoeratures of.....well I once fried an egg on mine!

You still want metal gutters?

Thanks gentlemen for your feedback!

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

UK was 0.7

I understand where snow and ice might be an issue ticker gutters are necessary.

19 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

fit brackets every 400 instead of 800.

It's a refit. The cheapo zinc gutter fell apart after about 15 years. Existing brackets are currently less than 400 mm.

I found this US guidance and the thinnest possible steel sheets for this type of gutter is 0.015'' (0.381 mm). See here: roofing.pdf

19 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

You still want metal gutters? 

A totally new nice plastic system with matching down pipes would definitely be nice. But I guess, you cannot get that for the above price of just replacing the box.

The OP would do well to bring his own micrometer to the rain gutter installer and check prior to paying a deposit. See the actual stainless steel gutters that have been quoted. The process of welding sections is crucial in my experience. Brazing is not acceptable. Consider a paint on or spray on rubber seal at every joint.  Easy to buy a rain gutter spray or paint on sealer for the inside as a safety measure at every connection on the gutter.

Buriram Thailand Rain Gutter leak Rubberized Sealer.jpg

Archived