Jomtien Imimgration - Reporting address where you live

If you've moved to Jomtien Immigration area and the real estate agent has done the reporting to immigration, then you have to fly out and back in to activate your next part of a METV, when you return to Thailand do you need to report your address within 24 hours again to immigration? I would presume not because you are living in the exact same place as before. But on the other hand the real estate agent said that it was needed, but that seems silly as it was already done when you leased the room.

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

If you've moved to Jomtien Immigration area and the real estate agent has done the reporting to immigration, then you have to fly out and back in to activate your next part of a METV, when you return to Thailand do you need to report your address within 24 hours again to immigration? I would presume not because you are living in the exact same place as before. But on the other hand the real estate agent said that it was needed, but that seems silly as it was already done when you leased the room.

The real-estate person was giving you good, helpful info. 

Yes, it is pointless - especially since you will be putting that address on your TM-6 form.  But, you must do it anyway, to avoid a fine (usually 1600 Baht).  Per recent reports, Jomtien gives you 3 days to report (law says 24 hours), but I would do it on the first day they are open (including Saturday) after your return. 

Hopefully, they will someday streamline their reporting systems for efficiency - so they can be easier to accommodate by visitors, and more useful for the security-purpose they were designed to serve.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, it is pointless - especially since you will be putting that address on your TM-6 form.  But, you must do it anyway, to avoid a fine (usually 1600 Baht).  Per recent reports, Jomtien gives you 3 days to report (law says 24 hours), but I would do it on the first day they are open (including Saturday) after your return. 

Hopefully, they will someday streamline their reporting systems for efficiency - so they can be easier to accommodate by visitors, and more useful for the security-purpose they were designed to serve.

How do you report your address? I never ever had to do it before when I was living in BKK for the past 5 years. This is something new that seems to be only for Jomtien Immigration. Do you need to go to Jomtien Immigration on the arrival date to report it or can it be done online?

18 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How do you report your address? I never ever had to do it before when I was living in BKK for the past 5 years. This is something new that seems to be only for Jomtien Immigration. Do you need to go to Jomtien Immigration on the arrival date to report it or can it be done online?

Go to the Jomtien immigration office.  After you enter the building, you will go to the front-desk and say you need to do a TM-30 report.  They will check your passport, documents, and give you a queue number for the TM-30 Desk (little office on the left with the line possibly stretching out the door, this time of year). 

As you are doing a "same location" report, and your real-estate company has already done a preliminary report, it will be easier than a "first time at address" report - but best to bring a copy of your lease and of the landlord's ID.  I would ask the real-estate people what to bring, as they deal with this often.

For awhile, the staff at the TM-30 desk would fill the TM-30 form for "same place" reports.  If you do need to fill one out, the lady at the info-desk will hand you one.  If you get confused by the format (was not designed for self-reporting, as the law being abused to put you through this was written for landlords/hotels reporting tenants/guests), you can pay the little shop on the left (outside the building) to fill one out for you for 100 Baht.

Edited by JackThompson

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Go to the Jomtien immigration office.  After you enter the building, you will go to the front-desk and say you need to do a TM-30 report.  They will check your passport, documents, and give you a queue number for the TM-30 Desk (little office on the left with the line possibly stretching out the door, this time of year). 

As you are doing a "same location" report, and your real-estate company has already done a preliminary report, it will be easier than a "first time at address" report - but best to bring a copy of your lease and of the landlord's ID.  I would ask the real-estate people what to bring, as they deal with this often.

For awhile, the staff at the TM-30 desk would fill the TM-30 form for "same place" reports.  If you do need to fill one out, the lady at the info-desk will hand you one.  If you get confused by the format (was not designed for self-reporting, as the law being abused to put you through this was written for landlords/hotels reporting tenants/guests), you can pay the little shop on the left (outside the building) to fill one out for you for 100 Baht.

Thanks. Is Jomtien Immigration on JomtienSaiNeung Soi 5 as per Google Maps? Basically Soi 5 off the road off the beach? So they're open Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm or what's their hours?

You mentioned that they fine people 1,600 baht if they don't report so does that mean if you go for a 30 day extension that's the time they check if you reported your same address again and if you haven't then that's when they fine you? That would be the only way they'd really know that you haven't reported your same address again.

I'm reading Google reviews. Lots of people are saying they got their 30 day visa extensions super quick within 15mins to an hour. Wow, are they really that quick? BKK immigration took nearly a day to get through all the people waiting for an extension!!

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Thanks. Is Jomtien Immigration on JomtienSaiNeung Soi 5 as per Google Maps? Basically Soi 5 off the road off the beach? So they're open Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm or what's their hours?

Not sure of their exact hours -- I think they open before 10am, and close at 5pm? -- but pretty sure they are not open on Saturdays.

Depending where you are coming from in Pattaya/Jomtien, it might be easier to approach the office from Jomtien Second Road, as the office is closer to that than from Jomtien Beach Road.  (If you are driving, probably not an issue, but if on foot, it might be.)

Assume chaos, inconsistency and you are less likely to go wrong. If you go to report and they say you don't need to, I'd suggest asking if you could voice record that statement, with name of officer. Or maybe don't ask, just have it running...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, grumpy 4680 said:

I got the impression a TM30 is not required, providing that you have not stayed at any other address in Thailand, ie, hotels or guest houses, where you may of been reported as staying

Those on Retirement-extensions get different treatment than those on Tourist-type entries - generally.  In the case of the OP on an METV, best to report every time, until told they don't have to. 

I would do this even on Retirement, just to avoid getting "gotcha'd" when/if they change policies.  Of course, even if they say, "no problem, don't bother," someone else could still fine later, regardless of earlier instructions.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Those on Retirement-extensions get different treatment than those on Tourist-type entries - generally.  In the case of the OP on an METV, best to report every time, until told they don't have to. 

I would do this even on Retirement, just to avoid getting "gotcha'd" when/if they change policies.  Of course, even if they say, "no problem, don't bother," someone else could still fine later, regardless of earlier instructions.

Yeah, had a couple of "gotchas" over the years. Why I follow TV hoping to avoid too many.
I have become more disabled over time (stroke last march) and it is not easy to get around anymore.
My Girl Guide is awfully good about driving me around when she is here, but still lives in Bkk. Hate to ask her if no need to drive two hours each way on the world's most dangerous roads!
Going to the US Embassy Outreach on the 12th for one last income affidavit. I pan to come up on the 11th and overnight to get in early, so reckon I can go up early and pop in to immigration and ask, maybe get a residence letter at the same time based on my TM 30. 

I have a METV and I have not done any additional TM30 reports when I do a border bounce. I was told in the past it was not necessary as I was at my same residence. I have made two separate trips to Soi 5 Immigration for Residence Certificates. and I haven't had any problems. I just show my receipt of notification. 

17 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You have report.eavh time.you.return from a trip outside of Thailand

So those of us with a new passport have to leave the country to enable on line reporting, I was told I would need a re-entry permit from Jomptien or else I would have to get another non o visa, is this correct, at present I am on a marriage extension.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

So those of us with a new passport have to leave the country to enable on line reporting, I was told I would need a re-entry permit from Jomptien or else I would have to get another non o visa, is this correct, at present I am on a marriage extension.

If you have an extension of stay you need a re-entry permit to keep it valid when you enter the country after a trip out of the country.

The fee for a single re-entry permit is 1000 baht.

• Thanks 1

so many different answers here--- and as always, so many varied responses from immi officers..

no wonder we are confused..

last week, at jomtien-my renewal of 12mth extension was refused---they said i had to contact NZ  embassy to get my old visa transferred to my new passport ??? {it already had stamps showing visa expiry date}

i immediately contacted a visa agent---had my new non o multi entry within 24hrs...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ulic said:

I have a METV and I have not done any additional TM30 reports when I do a border bounce. I was told in the past it was not necessary as I was at my same residence. I have made two separate trips to Soi 5 Immigration for Residence Certificates. and I haven't had any problems. I just show my receipt of notification. 

Did you do any 30 day extensions at immigration on METV or do you just leave the country every 2 months?

5 hours ago, stewartthailand said:

Likewise an IO at Jomtien confirmed that as I am returning to the same address there is no need to report on return

Is this based on a METV?

4 hours ago, murraynz said:

so many different answers here--- and as always, so many varied responses from immi officers..

last week, at jomtien-my renewal of 12mth extension was refused---they said i had to contact NZ  embassy to get my old visa transferred to my new passport ??? {it already had stamps showing visa expiry date}

i immediately contacted a visa agent---had my new non o multi entry within 24hrs...

Yeah, some people here say it's need, some here say it's not. Guess it's best to go to Immigration and report just to be sure of not getting fined.

5 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

The TM30 law was created many years ago, but never implemented.  When Chiang Mai suddenly began fining people baht 1600 for not having a TM30 it was deemed to be a massif graft sting.

I believe the new immigration chief should rectify this matter, as it falls into the no tips issue. and make the rules clear and the same in all the regions.

The “TM.30 law” has always been implemented. Hotels/guesthouses have always been expected to comply with the law. And as time has gone on, and more of us live in private properties, they are increasingly enforcing it for owners etc. too. Enforcement ramped up by the Bangkok bombing when they decided to try and keep better tabs on us. Or at least be seen to.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

I got the impression a TM30 is not required, providing that you have not stayed at any other address in Thailand, ie, hotels or guest houses, where you may of been reported as staying

When you leave the country your stay in the country, and at the last known address, ends. When you re-enter the address reporting laws kick in as if it were your first ever visit. How immigration offices enforce those laws varies around the country.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dorian232 said:

You have report.eavh time.you.return from a trip outside of Thailand

8 hours ago, stewartthailand said:

Likewise an IO at Jomtien confirmed that as I am returning to the same address there is no need to report on return

This sort of consistent information here at Thai Visa makes the subscription charges well worthwhile.

As far as Jomtien is concerned the accuracy prize, I believe, goes to Stewart.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, murraynz said:

You hit dat nail squarely on the noggin! Been here better part of 25 years and the inconsistencies only gotten worse...not to imply were ever close to good. Always slays me when a question is posted and the first thing needing clarification is TO WHICH IO ARE YOU GOING! :cheesy:

• Thanks 1

With all the TM30 confusion there are still some standard criteria. If you stay in Hotels (real not Airbnd etc) you generally dont have to worry about TM30. If you have no ongoing business with immigration, a COR or extension, you generally dont need to worry about a TM30. 

I spent 3 days in Vientiane. Left on 18th Nov. Presumably with 90 days extension. Further 3 days in Korat Hotel. Arrived at my Pattaya condo where they insisted on copying my passport "as it was new rule" presumably to inform immigration. To be safe I went to Jomtien next day and was told by a young lady that I hadn't seen before that it wasn't needed as I was returning to the same address. The only problem is that I have no proof and am vulnerable. 

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, elviajero said:

Yes you do. You left the country so your stay ended and you/someone needs to report your new arrival/stay even if it's the same address.

Having a lease doesn't make any difference.

We were told the opposite from Jomtien Immigration - not that I'm surprised they say something different from day to day