Possible cancer causing blood pressure med

Valentine

Came across this https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/news/20181128/two-more-valsartan-drugs-makes-growing-recall-list

List of products under recall https://www.oregonlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/12/8513c60f601126/list-of-amlodipine-and-valsart.html

More detail here https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2018/11/30/teva-pharmaceuticals-blood-pressure-drug-recall-dfa-valsartan-irbesartan-losartan/2163674002/

It may affect me, & possibly some of you out there, as I take Tanzaril which contains losarten. What worries me even more is the possibility I have a prostate problem based on recent tests.

This has been covered in this forum before. Only certain foreign brands are involved. It is not a problem with these drugs per se.

Tanzaril is a locally made brand ubaffected by the recall.

The recalled products are manufactured by Teva, an Israeli pharm company and by Prinston pharma, a US company. In some cases the recalls are limited to single batches of the drug. AFAIK none of the tainted products are available in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No issue. None of the Thai made drugs are affected.

I take it you are sure SMC do not source raw material from India or China. Have they actually tested there drugs to confirm they do not contain N-nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA). Maybe SMC have strict health & safety practices, I certainly hope they do, but we are living in a country where standards have been known to be disregarded

Thai produce Valatan was recalled

Yes i was on that drug Pharmacy stopped selling it I believe it was made by a Thai company with dodgy Chinese ingredients, OI cannot remember the companies name but is definitely Thai not Chinese

• 1 month later...

I have sent 3 emails to SMC asking about losartan ingredient in Tanzaril but no response. This alone makes me suspicious especially as I am having prostate problems. I cannot comprehend they manufacture their own ingredients & would be good to know where they do source them from.

Not getting replies to emails (especially emails sent in English) from Thai companies is very usual. I wouldn't read too much into that. It usually means that the person who received the email (generally a low level clerk) either could not understand what it said or did not know how to respond to it and the usual response to that situation is to ignore it.

In almost 30 years here, I would say 90% of all emails I have ever sent to a Thai business or company have gone unanswered. In fact I am always very surprised when there is an answer.

Obviously someone at the company knows where the materials are sourced but that will not be the person who receives the general emails. They may also not speak much English.

If you  really want to pursue this you would need to have a Thai speaker call and ask to speak to the person in charge of Manufacturing or Pharmaceutical  Production, and persevere until they get the right person on the line. May or may not succeed.

You could also try same approach but with the Thai FDA Bureau of Drug Control.  Proabably the post marketing division.

To date the Thai FDA has recalled some brands of valsartan but none of losartan.

Archived