The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

On 9/18/2020 at 11:34 AM, Bredbury Blue said:

Need to get that RCB and defence sorted quickly or we can forget about chasing Liverpool. How hard can it be to buy a player. 4 RCB's have been mentioned over recent days/weeks and nothing. Also need to get Otamendi out (past his sell-by) and Garcia (wants to leave at the end of the season anyway) which leaves us very understaffed in that position - Stones and Fernandinho. Get it sorted Blues!

Wise words.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Blimey. 7 first team players unavailable and to top it off we are wearing that stupid 3rd kit

• Ederson 2Walker 5Stones 6Aké22MendyBooked at 35mins5Fernandinho 16RodriBooked at 86mins47Foden
  • 17De Bruyne7SterlingSubstituted forTorresat 81'minutes9Gabriel Jesus

Sounds horrendous, which 7 of these would be left out when the other 7 return?

3 hours ago, BangrakBob said:
  • Ederson 2Walker 5Stones 6Aké22MendyBooked at 35mins5Fernandinho 16RodriBooked at 86mins47Foden

Impossible to say who would have been out (can never second guess Pep's selection) but we had:

Subs:
2 wingers in Mahrez (just back from Covid isolation) and Torres, 1 defender in Otamendi. 3 kids in Tommy Doyle, Rory Delap's son Liam and Bernabe (Thats an 18yr MF, 17 yr CF, 19 yr MF/Winger with just ONE PL substitution between them). So we didn't have a lot to choose from.

Out:
Aguero
Gundogan (covid infection)
Laporte (ditto)
Bernardo (muscle)
Garcia (gashed head)
Zinchenko (muscle)
Cancelo (ankle)
Think you'd agree a few of those would have played, some started.

GREAT first half, but struggled a bit 2nd when Pep didn't have many options from the bench. Needed someone to replace booked Mendy who was struggling with Traore or someone in front of Mendy to help out.

All in all happy with those 3 points.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

53 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Impossible to say who would have been out (can never second guess Pep's selection) but we had:

Subs:
2 wingers in Mahrez (just back from Covid isolation) and Torres, 1 defender in Otamendi. 3 kids in Tommy Doyle, Rory Delap's son Liam and Bernabe (Thats an 18yr MF, 17 yr CF, 19 yr MF/Winger with just ONE PL substitution between them). So we didn't have a lot to choose from.

Out:
Aguero
Laporte (ditto)
Bernardo (muscle)
Garcia (gashed head)
Zinchenko (muscle)
Cancelo (ankle)

GREAT first half, but struggled a bit 2nd when Pep didn't have many options from the bench. Needed someone to replace booked Mendy who was struggling with Traore or someone in front of Mendy to help out.

I’m surprised no one has been in for Traore. 

City will be happy with that result with the available players. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

You support that team that thinks it's no bother to knobble Sane in a Charity match and rule him out for a season. Squads don't grow on trees you know ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Subs:

Out:
Aguero
Laporte (ditto)
Bernardo (muscle)
Garcia (gashed head)
Zinchenko (muscle)
Cancelo (ankle)

Bit of a wobble towards the end. Fitness etc played a part in that I reckon. 

Caraboa Cup on thursday. With the injuries we have I reckon the kids will be out

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

You support that team that thinks it's no bother to knobble Sane in a Charity match and rule him out for a season. Squads don't grow on trees you know ????

Isn't that the guy you were trying to flog at the time? Just made a small temporary dent in the Sheikh's oil reserves????

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, wilai said:

Isn't that the guy you were trying to flog at the time? Just made a small temporary dent in the Sheikh's oil reserves????

No mate. We never wanted to flog him. Unfortunately he always wanted to go back home to Germany. You guys dented his fee whilst making sure he couldn't play for us either. Hope nothing ever happens like that to Mane, VvD, or Salah etc ????

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Good debut by Ake. I liked this quote i heard:
"Ake never dives in like Otamendi, he's like the anti-Otamendi, the Notamendi"

Always hard to judge off a debut but overall I was happy. Didn't flap and looked in control, even when Mendy was making a hash of everything.

One thing that won't go unnoticed was KdB getting nutmegged just before they scored. He'll get ripped off the boys for that one

4 minutes ago, wilai said:

Bet ya don't......still at least we no longer have to put up with Kompany's attempts to break Mo's legs????

Give over man. Vincent was a true gent. If he'd have wanted to break Mo's legs he would have. That incident you refer was a tickle. How long was Mo out for after that?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Give over man. Vincent was a true gent. If he'd have wanted to break Mo's legs he would have. That incident you refer was a tickle. How long was Mo out for after that?

Athleticism saved him mate. 

Anyway, on a different topic. Assuming Ake is first choice, both him and Laporte prefer the left side...Any idea which one will play out of position? I think Ake especially may struggle on the right.

3 minutes ago, wilai said:

Anyway, on a different topic. Assuming Ake is first choice, both him and Laporte prefer the left side...Any idea which one will play out of position? I think Ake especially may struggle on the right.

Tis a good question mate and one I don't have an answer to. Laporte has shown he can be flexible but I haven't seem enough of Ake playing in different positions to see how he handles it. Our coaches will develop an answer.

One thing in modern football is that it doesn't seem to be as important as to what is your preferred foot  and which side you play. If you know what I mean

7 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

One thing in modern football is that it doesn't seem to be as important as to what is your preferred foot  and which side you play. If you know what I mean

Agree with you that the preferred foot shouldn't be a problem, but suddenly switching sides could be. If I  was Pep I'd use Laporte on the right as he is more experienced and his reading of the game is probably better. There again, with Pep roulette, Ake will play LB and Stones will come back in!????

23 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Blimey. Pep wasn't kidding the other night when he said the majority will be academy players. Tonight's line up

Screenshot_20200924-211808_Google.jpg

Academy players in City's first team.... What? 

Oh yeah, it's the League Cup. Sorry, as you were.

On 9/22/2020 at 3:52 PM, mrbojangles said:

You're half right. Forwards look a lot more adept at cutting inside from the flanks onto their better foot. 

However in defence I think your preferred foot is still very important, especially as a lot of defenders seem to be more one footed. Remember, you can't choose which side you defend from, unlike attackers with the ball at their feet who can attack as they please. All you can do is try to show an attacker onto your better side. 

40 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Academy players in City's first team.... What? 

Oh yeah, it's the League Cup. Sorry, as you were.

What team did you put out the other night against the mighty Luton?

Packed full of youth team players? Remind us all. 

7 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

What team did you put out the other night against the mighty Luton?

Packed full of youth team players? Remind us all. 

We had four academy players in the side and two come off the bench. The reason the two were on the bench is because they are actually in our first XI.

If you are making the point that we had to put out a strong side against Luton then absolutely. It was necessary because a) we've had no preseason and are getting match fit and b) it was a very real potential banana skin considering the fitness of the players and the current climate surrounding the club.

I'm not ashamed to say that I was at least relieved with a win. 

27 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

We had four academy players in the side and two come off the bench. The reason the two were on the bench is because they are actually in our first XI.

If you are making the point that we had to put out a strong side against Luton then absolutely. It was necessary because a) we've had no preseason and are getting match fit and b) it was a very real potential banana skin considering the fitness of the players and the current climate surrounding the club.

I'm not ashamed to say that I was at least relieved with a win. 

Please expand on the current climate surrounding your club.

The word demise springs to mind.

How does one hope to solve this downward slope?

Could a decent manager be the first stop or is all the boards fault?

The idea of knowing you will probably never see those great night's in such abundance again in your lifetime is not an idea I can even imagine having to consider. It is just not inside some of us. It's such an awful thing to even think about but it's difficult to see the the light and yet you have so many talented players. 

Sorry I digress. Current climate of the club?