The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

10 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Looks like the FDJ deal is done, great signing.

What a great night at the Ragamangala stadium last night - Smashed the Bin Dippers 4-0 ????

My Mrs said they were much the better team.

Looks like I'll be having a wager on United for the coming season. Liverpool's run of recent times, seems to be petering out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, champers said:

Why the rejoicing? He was out on loan in Brazil last season and played no part in the debacles at Watford and Brighton or the double humiliation by Liverpool. You must be easily pleased.

<deleted>, are you waffling on about ??? Where is the "Rejoicing" ?? I just stated the fact that he's gone & off the wage bill - I know where he played last season, no need to try to educate me, I'm very well informed about all things United.

"Easily Pleased" ??? You aint got a scooby doo about a lot of things, so it seems.

Anyone who knows anything about United & has seen Pereria in action, clearly can come to the conclusion that  he's a pretty average player & has no future at United - IMO, good riddance to him & another 10m to reinvest in a proper player.

Maybe your just sad because now you have to take down his pictures off your bedroom wall ????

Ps: Did you see the young Savage & Zidane last night playing for United ??? Quality players.

In short - Pereria gone, frees up a space for one of the above youth players in our 1st team squad - A big big positive IMO.

14 hours ago, RedArmy said:

<deleted>, are you waffling on about ??? Where is the "Rejoicing" ?? I just stated the fact that he's gone & off the wage bill - I know where he played last season, no need to try to educate me, I'm very well informed about all things United.

"Easily Pleased" ??? You aint got a scooby doo about a lot of things, so it seems.

Anyone who knows anything about United & has seen Pereria in action, clearly can come to the conclusion that  he's a pretty average player & has no future at United - IMO, good riddance to him & another 10m to reinvest in a proper player.

Maybe your just sad because now you have to take down his pictures off your bedroom wall ????

Ps: Did you see the young Savage & Zidane last night playing for United ??? Quality players.

In short - Pereria gone, frees up a space for one of the above youth players in our 1st team squad - A big big positive IMO.

I thought places were being freed up for De Jong and Ericsson, if they ever make their minds up.

I see that Albanian goalie you were after is choosing to go to Brentford instead. Can Zidane or Savage play in goal?

On 7/14/2022 at 4:53 AM, jellydog said:

I'm sorry to report that Man United are about to sign a quality footballer, the Argentine defender Lisandro Martìnez. A crying shame.

10 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

who 555

9 minutes ago, petermik said:

and ????? if he was playing well at Ajax (they had a good team of young players) why would he be good at United which has a middle table/average class players

Edited by Mavideol

On 7/14/2022 at 9:15 PM, RedArmy said:

Hearing on good authority that Martinez from Ajax is tonight a done deal - Should join United in Australia.

Player of the year for Ajax last season. You tube is your friend if you are not familiar with him.   In Manchester now.

74,237 at MCG for the match against A League side Melbourne Victory. Terrible ground to watch our football at, oval shaped for cricket and AFL. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 3:09 PM, champers said:

Why the rejoicing? He was out on loan in Brazil last season and played no part in the debacles at Watford and Brighton or the double humiliation by Liverpool. You must be easily pleased.

Exactly like he says - it's another one out of the door and off the wage bill.

It's not rejoicing, just satisfying to clear some of the deadwood. 

On 7/14/2022 at 5:53 AM, jellydog said:

I'm sorry to report that Man United are about to sign a quality footballer, the Argentine defender Lisandro Martìnez. A crying shame.

As you are in the know... why should we be reassured he's a great player considering he's a 5 foot 9 centre back? 

On the face of it, being an Argentina international is great, but so was Marcos Rojo. 

There are suggestions he might have been bought to play defensive mid.

On 7/18/2022 at 6:54 PM, RickG16 said:

As you are in the know... why should we be reassured he's a great player considering he's a 5 foot 9 centre back? 

On the face of it, being an Argentina international is great, but so was Marcos Rojo. 

There are suggestions he might have been bought to play defensive mid.

Marauding runs a' la Joel Matip style, attack attack attack

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.39.07 am.png

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Marauding runs a' la Joel Matip style, attack attack attack

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.39.07 am.png

Joel Matip.... sorry, never heard of him.

What are your hopes for this season Bob? Do you expect to challenge for the title?

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Joel Matip.... sorry, never heard of him.

What are your hopes for this season Bob? Do you expect to challenge for the title?

He's our 3rd CB, probably make captain of your team.

Definitely expect to be challenging for the title.

Not sure about our front 3, Mane is going to be a big loss for me, never injured and a big part of how we got to where we are and how we play. 

Would like another attacking midfielder, but think Carvalho is going to shine. 

I think we might see some changes in our shape from game to game, 4-2-3-1 might be used on occasion.

A lot departing from City in this window, surprised Silva allowed to go, but happy to see it. Arsenal, Spurs look to be buying well, and Chelsea for me will be in it again. 

I don't expect a 2 horse race.

Thought United looked more like a proper football team from what I've seen so far, are you hopeful?

15 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

He's our 3rd CB, probably make captain of your team.

Definitely expect to be challenging for the title.

Not sure about our front 3, Mane is going to be a big loss for me, never injured and a big part of how we got to where we are and how we play. 

Would like another attacking midfielder, but think Carvalho is going to shine. 

I think we might see some changes in our shape from game to game, 4-2-3-1 might be used on occasion.

A lot departing from City in this window, surprised Silva allowed to go, but happy to see it. Arsenal, Spurs look to be buying well, and Chelsea for me will be in it again. 

I don't expect a 2 horse race.

Thought United looked more like a proper football team from what I've seen so far, are you hopeful?

Was joking I know Matip. Was a trusty fantasy league pick for me last season.

I agree it will be more open than some people think.

You won't catch me getting sucked into the mirage of preseason. But I've seen some positive things. We have some great kids at the minute.... Just hope we can blood this crop and not send them out for endless loans

• Like 1

76,499 at Melbourne SCG (full would be close to 100,000) against Crystal Palace,  CP only had half their squad there apparently, many not eligible to enter the country ,not vaccinated ? watched it live ,interesting first half with some well taken goals but when a mass number of subs came on sort of died as they do. Friend from Sydney took his Grandson to watch and promised him a MU shirt but they had sold out of the home kit. Glazers must be rubbing their hands. ETH was very vocal pitch side.

Onto Western Australia for Aston Villa,  bypassing Sydney was strange, 85,000 there guaranteed. Still not sign of Garnacha or Garner ,minor injuries apparently

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Was joking I know Matip. Was a trusty fantasy league pick for me last season.

I agree it will be more open than some people think.

You won't catch me getting sucked into the mirage of preseason. But I've seen some positive things. We have some great kids at the minute.... Just hope we can blood this crop and not send them out for endless loans

Yeah I've had a few preseasons of false hope, I just thought the approach, style and commitment is markedly improved by United. Nice to see Hag making an impact early doors.

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

?

As far as I am aware Silva ain't going anywhere 

There was only rumor he might go, and that was many weeks ago. Let's hope not. There was also talk Gundo might go.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 1:22 PM, Sparkles said:

76,499 at Melbourne SCG (full would be close to 100,000) against Crystal Palace,  CP only had half their squad there apparently, many not eligible to enter the country ,not vaccinated ? watched it live ,interesting first half with some well taken goals but when a mass number of subs came on sort of died as they do. Friend from Sydney took his Grandson to watch and promised him a MU shirt but they had sold out of the home kit. Glazers must be rubbing their hands. ETH was very vocal pitch side.

Onto Western Australia for Aston Villa,  bypassing Sydney was strange, 85,000 there guaranteed. Still not sign of Garnacha or Garner ,minor injuries apparently

Sorry Sparkles but have to mention the braindead Aussies that booed Maguire. This is the kind of pantomine behaviour that I'm used to from Aussies fans at the cricket over the years. But if these lads call themselves United fans they have forgotten one thing - we don't boo our own.

Whatever you think of him as a player, he deserves full backing from the supporters at OT. Booing while a player is trying to do his job is counterproductive. Criticise after the game all you want. 

On 7/21/2022 at 1:28 PM, RickG16 said:

Sorry Sparkles but have to mention the braindead Aussies that booed Maguire. This is the kind of pantomine behaviour that I'm used to from Aussies fans at the cricket over the years. But if these lads call themselves United fans they have forgotten one thing - we don't boo our own.

Whatever you think of him as a player, he deserves full backing from the supporters at OT. Booing while a player is trying to do his job is counterproductive. Criticise after the game all you want. 

Apologies for late reply but have been waiting for an old team mate who attended both Melbourne games v A League Melbourne Victory and Crystal Palace to give me his first hand impressions.

I watched all games live courtesy of MU TV. Firstly don't jump to the conclusion it was all Australians he said a considerable group of CP supporters were giving Maguire stick pre kick off and during. MUTV conducted interviews pitch side with among others Bryan Robson and Denis Irwin, in the background the players were warming up and Maguire had a smile on his face and cheers every time he passed a ball ,sarcastic cheers who knows ? 

Booing seems to be a part of todays culture. If you watched Wimbledon Australia bad boy of tennis Nick Kyrgios got plenty ,doubt many Australians went to Wimbledon. At St Andrews,home of golf, last week, any player who has moved to the get richer quick Liv group were roundly booed, again not Australians.

Go onto face book its littered with fake MU sites, all denigrating ,Pogba, Maguire mostly, Ronaldo etc An overwhelming number of posters are from a large southern continent and its not Australia. Go to Red Cafe, MU's Manchester based forum. its more of the same.

I played my first competitive  game in 1952,yes I'm bloody old but booing was never a part of Australian football culture or any other sport, its a recent unsavoury trend over the last decade or two by moronic individuals but that's the world we now live in.

But back to football. MU should be very pleased that over 200,000 people went through the        turn stiles in Oz ,sales of merchandise part of the reason they take these trips was through the roof and sold out and supposedly there's a recession and a club in decline. Until subs were made the games were of quite high quality except the game in WA v Aston Villa where the pitch was basically unplayable second half.

Martinez I think judging my people who have followed him at Ajax and clips on you tube will be one of United's best signings, very tenacious and his passing range is top class.

Lastly at my old club in Sydney 7 players in the first team are arrivals from England ,Ireland and Wales. We must be one of the most diverse multi cultural countries in the world. Players at grass roots level men and women outnumber the total numbers playing every other code combined.

Pity our national side is yet to see more development. cheers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Forgot to mention both Martinez and Erikson plus those that needed a run played against Wrexham last night at Carrington, behind closed doors ! Erikson scored his first goal 4-1.

Somebody has to have some grainy mobile phone footage of the Ericksson goal surely!

On 7/28/2022 at 12:49 PM, RickG16 said:

Somebody has to have some grainy mobile phone footage of the Ericksson goal surely!

Free kick apparently with Ronaldo watching on. Garner got a run and some others who have had little or no game time. Why the secrecy ,no idea

• Like 1

1-0 defeat to Atletico in a far from friendly "friendly, watching it live. Some positives, fitness levels, ball movement and commitment to get the ball back but the final product was not there despite having majority of chances. Fred got himself a needless second yellow in the closing minutes. AM got more than their share of yellows.

What was written by some as a wild braw by one excited journo was just hand bags with Mc Tom and keeper with others. pushing and shoving.

I think Luke Shaw will be lucky to get his place back. Malacia showed great energy in defending and attack and Erikson showed his class in the cameo he made. Sancho out sick and showed more fire power is needed up front, Elanga struggled. Felix showed how to put chances away.

Full house,26,000 +,all Man U fans except for a handful. On the plane back home tonight, game tomorrow. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sparkles said:

1-0 defeat to Atletico in a far from friendly "friendly, watching it live. Some positives, fitness levels, ball movement and commitment to get the ball back but the final product was not there despite having majority of chances. Fred got himself a needless second yellow in the closing minutes. AM got more than their share of yellows.

What was written by some as a wild braw by one excited journo was just hand bags with Mc Tom and keeper with others. pushing and shoving.

I think Luke Shaw will be lucky to get his place back. Malacia showed great energy in defending and attack and Erikson showed his class in the cameo he made. Sancho out sick and showed more fire power is needed up front, Elanga struggled. Felix showed how to put chances away.

Full house,26,000 +,all Man U fans except for a handful. On the plane back home tonight, game tomorrow. 

I didn't see many differences from last year when RR was in charge....average team with many if not all average players, waste of time watching such a poor performance, wonder how long Ten Hag will stay, bets on

After a generally positive pre-season this week I get the feeling everything is going tits up at the wrong time.

Martial hamstring means the front 3 that had looked really promising won't be playing. And the Ronaldo issue drags on...

@RedArmy @Sparkles can you give me any cause for optimism....?