The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

13 hours ago, wilai said:

The Premier League have announced that Anthony Taylor will referee Man City v LFC at the weekend. They have also announced our favourite Paul Tierney will be on VAR duty...........Further appointments include the Gallagher brothers as Asst Refs and Chesney from Coronation St will be the 4th official.????????

Out of the 47 games he has reffed in Liverpool games you have only lost 9, won 27 and drawn the rest. Out of the 3 games he has reffed Liverpool and Man United. Liverpool won 2 and drawn the other. Of the 3 games he's reffed against City we have won 2 and drawn 1. He supports Altrincham. He probably hates both City and United. You are seeing bias where non exists.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:33 PM, wilai said:

Premier League to allow 5 subs from next season.

Once again JK leads and the rest get there eventually????

I wouldn't put money on who was first to actually publicly say it but both Pep and Jurgen have been for 5 subs since the PL stopped it. Both (and a few others) couldn't understand why the rest of Europe (including CL) carried on but the PL reverted back to 3. 

35 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Out of the 47 games he has reffed in Liverpool games you have only lost 9, won 27 and drawn the rest. Out of the 3 games he has reffed Liverpool and Man United. Liverpool won 2 and drawn the other. Of the 3 games he's reffed against City we have won 2 and drawn 1. He supports Altrincham. He probably hates both City and United. You are seeing bias where non exists.

Personally my biggest issue is Tierney on VAR. He is very anti merseyside (see your game v Everton for a recent example) and JK can't stand him.  I am surprised the PGMOL select officials from Manchester to officiate an important match where City are playing though. Places un-needed pressure on the refs themselves  Why not Michael Oliver for such a pivotal fixture? 

• Like 1

Fine all-round performance for majority of the game. Pressing was very good as was the transitional play. 3-1 up and could have been more but for some decent saves from Benfica's keeper. Diaz again looked very sharp with a goal and an assist. TAA's long balls were sublime but for me the MoM goes to Keita who had possibly his best ever game for us. Now if he could just stay fit for a while????

Sad how teams seem to be rolling over to be honest. With Madrid and Barca being as bad as they have been in living memory, this seems to be one of the weakest Champions League seasons for a long time. PSG have been a joke and the Italian clubs are now much weaker than they were 20 years ago (although they have shown some signs of improvement).

Probably a prime opportunity for the likes of Liverpool this season

1 minute ago, wilai said:

The English top three are ahead of the others, Bayern excepted, so all have a decent chance.

Well that's my point. It's only Bayern that seem to be offering any realistic competition to the English sides.

I won't write off Madrid entirely, but this doesn't seem to be one of their better teams. 

I'm not saying it will have an asterix next your name if you win it, but this is far far easier than winning the competition in the 90s or 2000s

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'm not saying it will have an asterix next your name if you win it, but this is far far easier than winning the competition in the 90s or 2000s

Or indeed the 70s/80s...but you can only beat what's in front of you. And it is still far too difficult for your lot to get past the last 16!. BTW Barca seem to have their mojo back, just too late for this year's comp.

9 minutes ago, wilai said:

Or indeed the 70s/80s...but you can only beat what's in front of you. And it is still far too difficult for your lot to get past the last 16!. BTW Barca seem to have their mojo back, just too late for this year's comp.

Surprised we even got that far. 

Barca have strung a decent run together but compared to previous Barca sides they still look short of quality.

Not so sure about it being harder in the 70s and 80s. Only the champions were in the competition and it was a straight knock out. But I'm not saying it wasn't a great achievement to win it.

For me the 90s and 2000s with the group phase was the hardest. Especially if you think about all the good teams knocking about at those times. 

Carvalho deal agreed with Fulham. To be announced in May. 5m plus add ons. Five year deal and no plans to loan him back next season. From what little I've seen he looks a decent attacking midfielder....perhaps a player who could slot into a Firmino type role?

• Like 1

2-2 away at City......An intense but enjoyable game. We had problems first half and to be honest, can play a lot better. Fabinho had his poorest game for a while (maybe that head knock was more serious than we thought?) and as a result, City broke through in midfield consistently. It was only the fifteen minutes after half time where I thought we had control but unfortunately, that didn't last.

City had the better of the chances so I was happy with the draw and my fears about the ref/VAR were not realised. Thought we showed great spirit, twice coming back from a deficit but we can definitely play a lot better. Our best players were Mane and Alisson. Looked like Mane changed his studs at half time....he and others were slipping all over the place in the first half!

With a point lead and (on paper) an easier run in, City will remain favourites but we keep on fighting....you never know what can happen????

Let's be honest lads. The football might be better technically, but this rivalry isn't a patch on United and Arsenal in the 90s / 2000s. It doesn't have the antagonism. It doesn't have the flash points.  And it doesn't have the characters. Something missing for me.

Especially with all the hugging and high fiving at the end. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wilai said:

No thanks....I much prefer today's rivalry and don't miss the childish tantrums and inherent nastiness of <deleted>/Manure. Respect, relatively good sportsmanship and brilliant, entertaining football played by both teams will do for me.

Maybe you should follow Ice Hockey. That game will tick your boxes????

Come off it. Who didn't like the agro of United v Arsenal back in the day. Keown mocking RVN penalty miss.... Keane and Viera in the tunnel.... Giggs dribble from the half way line.... Pizza gate .... Rooney dive to win pen that ended the invincibles streak..... The list goes on...

But saintly Wilai prefers today's hugathon ????????????????

I think that must mean you are a good person

3 minutes ago, wilai said:

Suppose that depends on whether you can understand the definition of 'rivalry'....check out 'jealousy' as well while you have the dictionary open.????

Come on mate. Uniteds season is over, they have no mid week match this week. He's got all the time in the world to annoy now ????

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, wilai said:

Suppose that depends on whether you can understand the definition of 'rivalry'....check out 'jealousy' as well while you have the dictionary open.????

Well there was one iconic moment for sure ... Pep and Klopp hugging it up 10 mins before the final whistle!

Too pally. 

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Well there was one iconic moment for sure ... Pep and Klopp hugging it up 10 mins before the final whistle!

Too pally. 

Respect between opposing managers?......definitely an alien concept for you guys.????

Just now, wilai said:

Respect between opposing managers?......definitely an alien concept for you guys.????

I can see us talking about it in years to come........ That iconic moment when Pep dropped Bernardo Silva deeper into midfield to counter Liverpool's high press. 

3 minutes ago, wilai said:

And anyway, still time for them to fall out this season as they are still challenging for three trophies.......how are you lot doing with the shirtseller et al?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wilai said:

And anyway, still time for them to fall out this season as they are still challenging for three trophies.......how are you lot doing with the shirtseller et al?????

Let's just be clear about our shirtseller. No player ever to pull on a Liverpool shirt has been as good as Cristiano Ronaldo. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Let's just be clear about our shirtseller. No player ever to pull on a Liverpool shirt has been as good as Cristiano Ronaldo. 

And this season he wouldn't even make our bench.????

• Haha 1

Just now, wilai said:

Yep...his best years are long gone. Buying players past their sell buy date. Very sensible planning.????

Looking back at it now, especially the fact Fergie and Rio apparently convinced the Glazers to buy him, it seems that there was no planning. It was an emotional rather than logical decision. But I can't say that I or most United fans weren't buzzing at the time.

IMO it comes down to having a weak manager who also had an emotional attachment to Ronaldo.... Ole. Old boys club at it's finest. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But I can't say that I or most United fans weren't buzzing at the time.

Yeah.....I can still remember you and chippy ejaculating over your keyboards when you signed him????

• Haha 1