The Official Liverpool FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Well there was one iconic moment for sure ... Pep and Klopp hugging it up 10 mins before the final whistle!

Too pally. 

My moneys on them really going for it at Wembley next week - Full on French Kissing for all to see.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Looking back at it now, especially the fact Fergie and Rio apparently convinced the Glazers to buy him, it seems that there was no planning. It was an emotional rather than logical decision. But I can't say that I or most United fans weren't buzzing at the time.

IMO it comes down to having a weak manager who also had an emotional attachment to Ronaldo.... Ole. Old boys club at it's finest. 

I said that at the time, you all said I was off my tits.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I said that at the time, you all said I was off my tits.

There was nothing to suggest his form was going to dip even at his age. And it's still hard to figure out why the players around him have gone backwards so much. 

19 hours ago, wilai said:

Yep...his best years are long gone. Buying players past their sell by date. Very sensible planning.????

There was zero planning. They bought him cos they were scared we were gonna have him. Knee jerk reaction just like every signing they make. Their recruitment system, policy and planning (if they actually have one) is in tatters

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Bet your happy having to face Villareal rather than Bayern eh?

We have to get through first. Not seen the game Bayern game yet but Villareal won't be push overs by any stretch. You happy it's RM and not Chelsea? if you get past AM?

23 hours ago, wilai said:

No new injuries from the weekend so a full squad available for tomorrow night's fixture as things stand. I expect a number of changes to be made though.

Expect Jota and Mane to miss out tonight as both are on two yellows. One more would rule them out of a possible semi. They are the only two players affected.

Job done. More easily than the 3-3 scoreline would suggest as we were never in trouble on aggregate and should really have scored a few more than the three we did.  The high line was a slight concern tonight (perhaps understandably as three personnel changes were made to the usual back 4). All their goals were close VAR calls for offside (all correct imo).Seven changes and 5 subs altogether so plenty of rest given to the players before the weekend.

Tsimikas gets my MoM for a good all round performance including two assists. Must be the best back up LB around and I hope we can keep him happy in the summer.. Diaz playing OOP on the right was also good and Bobby F scored two and could have had more.

Anyway thru to the semi v Villarreal. First leg is at Anfield on 27th April.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilai said:

Job done. More easily than the 3-3 scoreline would suggest as we were never in trouble on aggregate and should really have scored a few more than the three we did.  The high line was a slight concern tonight (perhaps understandably as three personnel changes were made to the usual back 4). All their goals were close VAR calls for offside (all correct imo).Seven changes and 5 subs altogether so plenty of rest given to the players before the weekend.

Tsimikas gets my MoM for a good all round performance including two assists. Must be the best back up LB around and I hope we can keep him happy in the summer.. Diaz playing OOP on the right was also good and Bobby F scored two and could have had more.

Anyway thru to the semi v Villarreal. First leg is at Anfield on 27th April.

Benfica, Villareal... not really been the hardest path to the final has it. 

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Benfica, Villareal... not really been the hardest path to the final has it. 

Can only beat what is put in front of you....and we already beat Atletico Madrid home and away....How did you guys do against them?????

• Haha 1

Just now, wilai said:

Can only beat what is put in front of you....and we already beat Atletico Madrid home and away....How did you guys do against them?????

That is true. But we are not even worthy of a comparison these days.

But consider this mate. In 99 we progressed from a group with Bayern and Barca in it, before beating Inter and Juve in the Q-F and S-F..... perspective. 

3 minutes ago, wilai said:

? More like All Our Yesterdays????....And on that topic....How many times have you won the thing?

I was making an early (and I think interesting) comparison between our treble winning side and this outfit of yours.... which could win some kind of treble, or even (I hate to say it) go one better.

Also interesting to note that we had 5 British players start in that final against Bayern.

I mean this just as much as a compliment to your other midfielders, but Henderson must be one hell of a captain to get a game. 

19 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I was making an early (and I think interesting) comparison between our treble winning side and this outfit of yours.... which could win some kind of treble, or even (I hate to say it) go one better.

Sorry. I'm not particularly bothered about what happened and who we played 20 odd years ago......but you keep reminiscing mate. It's all you've got. Hope you enjoyed City's game at least? Some decent Roy Keane impressions towards the end of that one plus fighting in the tunnel....just the sort of football you like to see????

2 minutes ago, wilai said:

Sorry. I'm not particularly bothered about what happened and who we played 20 odd years ago......but you keep reminiscing mate. It's all you've got. Hope you enjoyed City's game at least? Some decent Roy Keane impressions towards the end of that one plus fighting in the tunnel....just the sort of football you like to see????

It's one of the saddest parts of modern football that Roy Keane is misremembered as some kind of hot-headed hacker when actually there were so many sides to his game. Amazing passer, dribbler and just all round technique. 

It's just a fact that if you win a treble or more, comparisons will be drawn. So I thought I'd start early........ I need to start to try and come to terms with it, in case it happens ????

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It's one of the saddest parts of modern football that Roy Keane is misremembered as some kind of hot-headed hacker

His own fault!???? His out and out nastiness overpowered his other abilities. 

48 minutes ago, wilai said:

Sean Dyche sacked by Burnley..........Means that JK is now longest serving manager in the Premier League

Big Sam 3/1 favourite for the job. He can drive there in half an hour.

City fans can blame the line up as much as they like, but I would bet that a Pep side has never been taken apart so comprehensively as during the first half at Wembley. From back to front, LFC played with verve and vigour, not giving a nervous looking City a moment to settle.

Konate and TAA didn't give them a sniff down their normally dangerous left side attack, Fabs was back to his best after last week and snuffed out any danger from deep and Thiago ran the game from midfield.  The front 5 pressed high and as one, which directly led to the second goal with Mane catching the keeper out with his pace. Diaz and especially Mane as central striker were both impressive and I didn't want the half to end.

Unfortunately it did and we brought out the deckchairs in the 2nd period. Still controlled the game for the most part but were a bit sloppy both defensively and up front on a few occasions. Hopefully the lads have learnt never to give decent sides like City a second chance. It would indeed have been a travesty had the first 45 minutes been wasted but a 3-2 win in the end was good enough even if it didn't properly reflect our superiority. Another Wembley date beckons. MoM for me was Sadio, 2 goals and excellent all round performance.

• Like 1

Another easy win against our former rivals. 4-0 the score and could have been more. Utd simply couldn't cope with the movement, skills and pressing of our front three who were all excellent and we were two to the good after just 20 minutes. Thiago ran the game  and didn't give his markers a sniff. His passing was decisive and accurate (about 98% success rate in the first half alone).

Similar to the City game, the sun-loungers came out early 2nd half but Utd didn't have the nous to make us pay and normal service soon resumed. Two more goals sealed the game and we go top of the league (for a day at least). All round great performance but only one MoM....Thiago who was absolutely superb and fully deserved his ovation when he came off.

7 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Great reaction from the Liverpool supporters re Ronaldo on 7 - well appreciated - we all have our alliances - but a kid is different

Shame the respect was not reciprocated thereafter. 

• Confused 1