Do I need to carry 20 000 baht with me on the way into Thailand from Vientiane?

A while back, I heard they asked you to carry 20 000 on you when you come into Thailand.

I'll have in possession of a tourist visa from Vientiane.

I don't really feel like carrying that kind of money on me for the whole trip...

Will they ask for it?

Also, if they do, are there any ATM's close at hand on the border to Nongkhai?  So if they ask I simply go get the cash from ATM (I have a Siam Commercial bank account)

41 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In theory, you are supposed to carry 20,000 baht equivalent (any major currency) in cash when entering Thailand. In practice, they will not ask to see this at Nong Khai immigration.

And what if they do by some kind of a fluke...can I simply go fetch at an ATM and get back in LINE, I heard they prevented you from doing that at airports on some post, unlikely...but just wondering!

arrive to nong khai. Go to the nearest ATM. Get 20k put it in something or somewhere safe. Cross come back spent it.

i have witnessed they sometimes ask sometimes not. Probably up to your visa numbers. They will let you go to the nearest ATM also. I saw that too. But u need to talk lot. If i remember correct there r no ATM around the border.

Edited by problemfarang

32 minutes ago, John Answer said:

What are you afraid of? 20k is not a lot of money in Thailand. 

Indeed... 

I always travel with US$1000 emergency money - its been in my Passport Wallet for years along with other necessary stuff... 

Always useful if for whatever reason Immigration were to pull a fast one.

That Said - It is my understanding that the THB 20,000 rule is for those on Visa Exempt arrival. 

I was not aware that it is a requirement for those entering on a visa to have to (be prepared) to show THB 20,000 or currency equivalent. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed... 

I always travel with US$1000 emergency money - its been in my Passport Wallet for years along with other necessary stuff... 

Always useful if for whatever reason Immigration were to pull a fast one.

That Said - It is my understanding that the THB 20,000 rule is for those on Visa Exempt arrival. 

I was not aware that it is a requirement for those entering on a visa to have to (be prepared) to show THB 20,000 or currency equivalent. 

Well, I'm know to loose stuff and money...I'd rather travel light and fetch as I need, are there any ATM's at the border to Nongkhai?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

20 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

I's a lot of cash to carry around travelling...I'd rather just go to ATM as needed, usually about 5-10 thousand is enough, so that would mean arrying over 30 000 k , that's $1000 USD, it's not peanuts in any country!

Balance it against the hassle of rejection, having to rebook accommodation, flights etc... changing all your plans etc because you've been refused entry to Thailand...  It becomes 'peanuts' in comparison... 

The bulk of THB 20,000 can be a pain in the backside... thus carrying $1000 is easier... fold it up and carry it with your important documents. You could even fold it up in a pouch and tape it your your passport.... 

Whichever way you choose you carry THB 20,000 (or currency equivalent) its worth as there are more stories of guys being rejected on this technicality. 

That said, if guys are being rejected on the THB 20,000 technicality, then its likely immigration would find some other excuse if their targeted visitor met this specific requirement - But, it could be the difference... you never know... 

2 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

Well, I'm know to loose stuff and money...I'd rather travel light and fetch as I need, are there any ATM's at the border to Nongkhai?

You could also loose your card and find yourself in a bind...  its perhaps wise to have both options covered. 

You should be able to withdraw US$ from a bank...

US$ can also be withdrawn from ATM's in departures (airside) at Suvarnabhumi (for those who may be interested). 

Funny!... although probably not so in reality... but for last 6 years been doing return visits to LOS from Aust.

Me on OZ passport, and Mrs on her other one, the Thai onethat she keeps alive just for this purpose.

Each and every time, I only have no more than 30 baht in cash in my pockets/wallet. 

Mrs, being Thai always holds all the cash!

of late she'd rush thru Immigration quickly, not even waiting for me because she wants to show she has more power because she has a local passport and not me!

one of these days she will be really out of earshot, if I ever have to call her back to show the money! 

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Balance it against the hassle of rejection, having to rebook accommodation, flights etc... changing all your plans etc because you've been refused entry to Thailand...  It becomes 'peanuts' in comparison... 

The bulk of THB 20,000 can be a pain in the backside... thus carrying $1000 is easier... fold it up and carry it with your important documents. You could even fold it up in a pouch and tape it your your passport.... 

Whichever way you choose you carry THB 20,000 (or currency equivalent) its worth as there are more stories of guys being rejected on this technicality. 

That said, if guys are being rejected on the THB 20,000 technicality, then its likely immigration would find some other excuse if their targeted visitor met this specific requirement - But, it could be the difference... you never know... 

Thanks man, this is great advice, yes indeed, the last thing I want are headaches...I'm bringing my laptop, phone tablet also, all worth a pretty penny altogether, so might as well bring cash also, I just won't hit the bars then ????

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ikebukuro5 said:

And what if they do by some kind of a fluke...can I simply go fetch at an ATM and get back in LINE, I heard they prevented you from doing that at airports on some post, unlikely...but just wondering!

Since we have no prior experience to go on, we are now in the area of speculation. My gut feel on what might happen is no better than anyone else's. That said, there are two likely scenarios:

• There is suddenly a general change of policy at that border crossing where they start checking everyone for the cash. You are likely to learn of this in advance. However, should it actually occur, I can see no reason why you could not find an ATM, draw the money, and try to enter again. I think many would be doing the same. In Sadao, where they have frequently had a policy of checking, you have often had a choice between getting the cash or paying a small bribe for them to waive the requirement.
  • Immigration decide to target you specifically. It would then depend on the reason why. The official may be looking for a reason to deny entry that has nothing to do with the cash, in reality, just using it as a convenient excuse. You might then be formally denied entry. When you retry entering later, they might be looking for a different justification to deny entry.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Since we have no prior experience to go on, we are now in the area of speculation. My gut feel on what might happen is no better than anyone else's. That said, there are two likely scenarios:

• There is suddenly a general change of policy at that border crossing where they start checking everyone for the cash. You are likely to learn of this in advance. However, should it actually occur, I can see no reason why you could not find an ATM, draw the money, and try to enter again. I think many would be doing the same. In Sadao, where they have frequently had a policy of checking, you have often had a choice between getting the cash or paying a small bribe for them to waive the requirement.
  • Immigration decide to target you specifically. It would then depend on the reason why. The official may be looking for a reason to deny entry that has nothing to do with the cash, in reality, just using it as a convenient excuse. You might then be formally denied entry. When you retry entering later, they might be looking for a different justification to deny entry.

I'll get the money, best choice and less risk/headache if it goes south, I show the money immediately, should shut em up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ikebukuro5 said:

A while back, I heard they asked you to carry 20 000 on you when you come into Thailand.

I'll have in possession of a tourist visa from Vientiane.

I don't really feel like carrying that kind of money on me for the whole trip...

Will they ask for it?

Also, if they do, are there any ATM's close at hand on the border to Nongkhai?  So if they ask I simply go get the cash from ATM (I have a Siam Commercial bank account)s

Yes you should carry 20K in Baht, or the equivalent in another exchangeable currency, or travelers cheques.

Only visitors staying long term, as tourists, in the country tend to be asked. If you've been staying in the country for months already it would be wise to carry the 20K.

6 hours ago, stevymac said:

If you enter in to don muang from vietiene on a non b visa do u need to show 20k? Ubon joe or anyone know

According to the official rules, you should have the 20,000 baht equivalent in cash whatever kind of visa you are using to enter Thailand. Historically, immigration has not asked to see the cash from those entering with a Non B visa, but they could.

• Like 1

I also dislike this rule as it's just more cash to potentially lose (or taking an exchange rate hit by withdrawing in Laos).

Say immigration formally denies you. Can you run to an ATM and run back to the line? If not, what is the waiting period before a second attempt?

43 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

I also dislike this rule as it's just more cash to potentially lose (or taking an exchange rate hit by withdrawing in Laos).

Say immigration formally denies you. Can you run to an ATM and run back to the line? If not, what is the waiting period before a second attempt?

No. If you’re denied entry — formally or not — you’ll have to re-enter Laos. 

Once back in Laos you could try again straight away, but if you were formally denied I wouldn’t reckon much on your chances.

15 hours ago, ikebukuro5 said:

I's a lot of cash to carry around travelling...I'd rather just go to ATM as needed, usually about 5-10 thousand is enough, so that would mean arrying over 30 000 k , that's $1000 USD, it's not peanuts in any country!

If you can keep your ATM card safe for  pretty much all of the time, I am betting you can keep 20,000 baht safe for a few hours. 

Or have some travelers cheques that you don't cash.

16 hours ago, John Answer said:

What are you afraid of? 20k is not a lot of money in Thailand. 

No but getting robbed is his fear. You may like to give your money away but some don't have enough to throw it away

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hal65 said:

They will not allow you to go to an ATM, because they are not really concerned about the money - it's just a "gotcha" move, based on an archaic rule (which has no meaning since the advent of worldwide electronic banking), to deny entry to someone they thing "sticks around" in Thailand too much.  If they let people go to ATMs, this cruel and capricious trick would never work.

There is no "waiting period" for a 2nd attempt.  If sent back to Laos, the wise move would be to enter the country a known safe way - as should have been done in the first place.  That would be crossing the bridge and entering Thailand at a checkpoint that follows immigration law (unlike at the Bangkok airports), then flying onward domestic-air from Udon Thanni (if from Vientiane) to your destination in Thailand.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ikebukuro5 said:

I'll get the money, best choice and less risk/headache if it goes south, I show the money immediately, should shut em up

Good idea.

Although your OP only stated the current SETV in your passport, you didn't mention what other methods of entry you have used or your previous Thailand travel history, if any. Although Nong Khai has a better reputation for hassle-free re-entry, there's no saying when one particular IO may take a second look at the other stamps in anyone's passport and decide to enforce the regulations.