Chiang Mai Ram Hospital - Far Too Expensive

p1p

I don't feel CM Ram is particularly expensive, it's true they do dispense a fair amount of medication for, say, flu symptons, but most clinics in Thailand work in the same way. It seems to be the Thai way, if in doubt take medicine and plenty of it!

Bear in mind a lot of Thai's are hypochondriacs and will visit the quack for the slightest ailment and expect to be loaded up by the doc on leaving surgery.

I had an operation performed by Dr Preecha on a badly broken wrist suffered riding my motocross bike. The wrist required pinning in 5 places and I opted for the general anesthetic as opposed to the nerve blocker and everything was explained to me upfront. Price 22,000baht. This included an overnight stay, numerous x-rays from various angles and various drugs to reduce pain / swelling etc. Also went back to see him every 2 weeks for 2 months until the splint was removed.

I have no complaints whatsoever and now a couple of years later the wrist is still perfect.

The Tricare office at JUSMAGTHAI helped me with all the paperwork. Since I stayed in the hospital for 16 days, they sent a promise note to CM Ram that they would pay the 75% of my hospital bill.

Richard,

That's encouraging news, as I thought we retirees had to pay upfront, then mail somewhere in Wisconsin for reimbursement. But if JUSMAG can not only negotiate Tricare rates, but also pay the 75%, this is great news!

Did staying in the hospital for 16 days have something to do with this -- or would JUSMAG ensure we'd also get Tricare rates for outpatient care? (I wouldn't mind paying upfront -- as long as I knew I wasn't overpaying the Tricare cap.)

The Tricare office at JUSMAGTHAI helped me with all the paperwork. Since I stayed in the hospital for 16 days, they sent a promise note to CM Ram that they would pay the 75% of my hospital bill.

Richard,

That's encouraging news, as I thought we retirees had to pay upfront, then mail somewhere in Wisconsin for reimbursement. But if JUSMAG can not only negotiate Tricare rates, but also pay the 75%, this is great news!

Did staying in the hospital for 16 days have something to do with this -- or would JUSMAG ensure we'd also get Tricare rates for outpatient care? (I wouldn't mind paying upfront -- as long as I knew I wasn't overpaying the Tricare cap.)

Jim,

Tricare will pay for inpatient care upfront. Outpatient care you have to pay first.

After reading posts regarding Brumrungard's requirement that a deposit or true "up front" payment is required, I was pleased that Ram did not require anything from me until I left.

I wonder what would have come down had I not had enough money available and asked to pay in installments?

I have been going to Ram for five years, have a patient card and obviously a chart. Does that make the difference?

So many posts from those who advocate insurance as protection from being refused service in the emergency room when one is in pain or unconsious. Wasn't an issue for me, wonder if others have experienced other handling by Ram?

Falang deadbeats may be an overhead factor for them the rest of us end up paying for?