UK PM May's government loses contempt vote over Brexit legal advice

webfact

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

If you are saying that none of the one million plus UK citizens living in Spain and the rest of Europe never make use of the reciprocal health arrangement, see the police or use any other local service, then I am happy to stand corrected.

or roads or railways or bridges or power supply or water supply or this or that or ..... beach facilities

or airports or or or

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Because you have so many people willing to do all those low-skills jobs ????

There's the rub; if there were sufficient British people willing and able to do those jobs, then they would not be there for EU migrants!

A few years ago I was talking to the highways manger of a London borough. I asked him why all his street cleaners were east European. He replied that Brits considered such work to be beneath them. No Brits applied unless sent by the Job Centre and even then they made sure they weren't offered the job by their poor behaviour at the interview. 

Of course, it is not just low paid jobs that are done by EU migrants.

EU immigrants are also doing skilled jobs; especially in the building trade, bricklayers, carpenters, electricians etc. But there is a skills shortage amongst British people in these areas. For much of the last 25 to 30 years the attitude of British schools has been that apprenticeships are bad and somehow demeaning, people should instead go to university; and if they couldn't get a proper degree there were subjects like media studies for them.

7 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

There's the rub; if there were sufficient British people willing and able to do those jobs, then they would not be there for EU migrants!

A few years ago I was talking to the highways manger of a London borough. I asked him why all his street cleaners were east European. He replied that Brits considered such work to be beneath them. No Brits applied unless sent by the Job Centre and even then they made sure they weren't offered the job by their poor behaviour at the interview. 

EU immigrants are also doing skilled jobs; especially in the building trade, bricklayers, carpenters, electricians etc. But there is a skills shortage amongst British people in these areas. For much of the last 25 to 30 years the attitude of British schools has been that apprenticeships are bad and somehow demeaning, people should instead go to university; and if they couldn't get a proper degree there were subjects like media studies for them.

I agree with everything you said, we have the same problem here in the US, For some reason kids today feel entitled.

Of course they don't have the skills, To learn how to dance, you have to go to the dance.schools could teach you the theory, and you can practice playing with making a birdhouse,but to really learn you need to be on a construction site.

And they don't understand that one needs to pay his dues, be involved , make connections

I got started as a carpenter in the worst branch of the carpenter trade, Concrete forms. out in the mud, in the cold, in the rain , I paid my dues! I am no jenius , but a litle by litle learned all about the concrete forms necessary to put a highrise building up, how to hold concrete and not blow out, how to read plans, pick up points, lay out lines etc.

There are not many in the industry that can do that, The bid developers need me to put up their buildings, they offer me top dollar . An idiot like me makes more money than a doctor. 

But to get there one needs to take the first step, take the abuse, and pay their dues. 

A final point, people don't want to do some jobs at the wage they pay. If collecting garbage paid more, more people would want to do it.

Unions made the US, I think the same is true elsewhere, were there abuses? did some people game the system?

Sure!! some people always abuse and game any system. But Unions provided a stable middle class and a healthy consumer.

All the economic problems we have in the US and I am sure in the UK are consumption related, Without a consumer, who would the producers sell their product?

They are killing the cow they hope to milk. And they are not stupid, they know it, but the corporate system is designed for short term goals, and they also have to play the game or they will be replaced by someone else who would.

We are caught in a vicious circle.

7 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I agree with everything you said, we have the same problem here in the US, For some reason kids today feel entitled.

Of course they don't have the skills, To learn how to dance, you have to go to the dance.schools could teach you the theory, and you can practice playing with making a birdhouse,but to really learn you need to be on a construction site.

And they don't understand that one needs to pay his dues, be involved , make connections

I got started as a carpenter in the worst branch of the carpenter trade, Concrete forms. out in the mud, in the cold, in the rain , I paid my dues! I am no jenius , but a litle by litle learned all about the concrete forms necessary to put a highrise building up, how to hold concrete and not blow out, how to read plans, pick up points, lay out lines etc.

There are not many in the industry that can do that, The bid developers need me to put up their buildings, they offer me top dollar . An idiot like me makes more money than a doctor. 

But to get there one needs to take the first step, take the abuse, and pay their dues. 

A final point, people don't want to do some jobs at the wage they pay. If collecting garbage paid more, more people would want to do it.

Unions made the US, I think the same is true elsewhere, were there abuses? did some people game the system?

Sure!! some people always abuse and game any system. But Unions provided a stable middle class and a healthy consumer.

All the economic problems we have in the US and I am sure in the UK are consumption related, Without a consumer, who would the producers sell their product?

They are killing the cow they hope to milk. And they are not stupid, they know it, but the corporate system is designed for short term goals, and they also have to play the game or they will be replaced by someone else who would.

We are caught in a vicious circle. 

If you had actually paid attention to what people in the UK were actually saying in the run up to the referendum, you would know that many people voted Leave to stop EU immigration. Not to control it, but to stop it. The reasoning being that EU immigrants are taking jobs away from British people and keeping wages down. Reasoning I've seen repeated in various topics here.

A minority of Leave voters, I grant you; but a significant one nonetheless.
Just because you hear a leaver saying they want no immigration that doesn't mean you can therefore declare that leavers as a group want the same.

Tebee is a vocal remainer on here calling for Britain to have conpletely open borders for all nationalities. I'm not concluding from that that all remainers want the same thing. Grouse is a vocal remainer on here who is a self described bigot when it comes to Muslims. I'm not calling all remainers bigots. Ollinki is a passionate supporter of the EU who would be happy to see an EU army being formed in the future. I'm not concluding from that that all EU supporters are keen on the idea.

Can you name one single leaver on this forum who is advocating no immigrants at all?

In short what I'm saying is you'll find a wide spectrum of views on both sides of the debate. Some views are more mainstream than others and some more representative of the view of the group as a whole than others.

You know that in truth, the number of British people, be they leavers or be they anything else, who are calling for a completely closed border to immigrants, is tiny, and that the vast majority of leavers are simply calling for our borders to be controlled. Trying to suggest otherwise is disingenuous of you to put it kindly.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 minutes ago, rixalex said:

<snip>

Just because you hear a leaver saying they want no immigration that doesn't mean you can therefore declare that leavers as a group want the same

That is not what I said. to repeat 

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

A minority of Leave voters, I grant you; but a significant one nonetheless.

What is it that you fail to understand about that?

Or are you deliberately misinterpreting what I said?

It must be one or the other, otherwise the rest of your post makes zero sense!

3 hours ago, candide said:

That's what I never understood. How can some people think that a brexiteed Uk as a global hub of free trade agreements would lead to less globalisation and improve the situation of people who think they are left behind?

I asked this question several times and never got any answer.

Synaptically challenged I'm afraid. Separate issues you see; they can't see how they are interrelated ????

Frankly, care in the community should force Remain to minimize self harm! I just hope representative democracy does what is says on the tin!

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Hoist and Petard come to mind

Brexiters want no trade protection so that we can get the cheapest food and shoes I believe

But they don't want to work for the same wages paid in the countries that these products come from

let's think about this

let's say we enforce the minimum wage GBP 100.00 per day, 25k per annum and remove trade restrictions

Imports will rocket and exports will collapse

Our own agricultural products will be too expensive and our animal husbandry standards collapse as we can not compete with foreign imports

Is that what you really want?

The way the pound is going Brexiters should go to language school and apply for jobs in Poland!

Well if you care to do a little research you would find here https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Year 25 and over 21 to 24 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice
April 2018 (current rate) £7.83 £7.38 £5.90 £4.20 £3.70
April 2019 £8.21 £7.70 £6.15 £4.35 £3.90

The current rate of MINIMUM wages. Your claim of £100 per day is £12.50 per hour.

Is that so unreasonable?

Now look at the rate for an apprentice. That is £156 per WEEK. 

Could you live on that, taking into consideration or £8,112 per 52 week year? The good news is that you won't pay any income tax as you will earn less than the rax free allowance. 

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/tax-and-national-insurance-deductions

As an employee:

• you pay 0% on incomes up to £11,850* (£12,500 for 2019-20)
  • then you pay 20% on anything you earn between £11,851 and £46,350 (£12,501-£50,001 for 2019-20)

You won't even pay ant NI contributions for the pension that you probably won't get anyway. 

You will most likely live at home with your parents and cycle to work as you won't be able to afford anything else.

This of course assumes that you can find a company who will give you an apprenticeship in the first place.

If the UK stays in your glorious caring EU as a young lad you could always be unemployed in the UK where the youth unemployment rate in March 2018 was only 10.6%

https://www.statista.com/statistics/280228/youth-unemployment-rate-18-24-in-the-united-kingdom-uk-per-month/

Or go to the EU and look for work in Spain at 34.9%

https://tradingeconomics.com/spain/youth-unemployment-rate

Portugal is much better at only 21.4%

https://tradingeconomics.com/portugal/youth-unemployment-rate

Greece is down to only 36.6% in August 2018

https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/youth-unemployment-rate

France perhaps? Better than the UK at only 9.1%

https://tradingeconomics.com/france/unemployment-rate

Germany? Now that is the place to go. It is only 6.8%

https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/youth-unemployment-rate

3 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Obviously they do make use of such things..but the British Taxpayer picks up the tab on health-care..I know this for a fact.
Just the same as a Spanish person receiving eg health-care in the UK.
The bill goes to Spain.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So what was your original point?

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

If British works can only compete on price rather than skills or qualifications that's rather sad

I know, let's set up a union of countries where all the workers within are protected from having to compete with slave labour elsewhere. We could include all our European neigbours! Let's call it a European Union ????

Obviously they do make use of such things..but the British Taxpayer picks up the tab on health-care..I know this for a fact.
The bill goes to Spain.

In both cases it depend if you are working or retired.

I suspect Spain gets the best of this deal, not many Spanish come to the UK to retire.

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

If those jobs paid a wage on which brit. workers could live - I'm sure they would do those jobs.

As things stand, they are paid a pittance, and so would require additional 'benefits'.

Good money for eastern europeans - but those who were born in britain would find it v. difficult/impossible to live on minimum wage at best - without benefits......

Of course there's continual propaganda that brits. are lazy, not prepared to work etc.....  which comes from businesses that are only interested in paying as little as possible.....

Mostly true.  But of those low skilled jobs, agencies do report that the skills pool of good British workers is rather low.  Sadly, these people tend to be the least reliable, capable, and many can't even complete a week's work.  UK is at near full employment.  Good British employees already have work elsewhere.

The bill goes to Spain.

Yes but there has to be infrastructure to enable them to get health care ,hospitals equipped with trained staff etc houses and apartments built connected to water electricity,internet and so on.

6 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I'm sorry for the young people of the uk. With Brexit, many will lose the chance, 

to work, study or live permanently, uncomplicated in the EU's 27 countries. The independence of the nationalists also means restricting freedoms for many.

If you are correct then who will be stopping them?

It won't be the UK, so who is left?

Surely not the EU?

What is wrong with getting a visa from the country that you wish to work, study or live in permanently?

It is little different from getting a visa to a country outside of the EU, and there are very many of them too.

30 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Well if you care to do a little research you would find here https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

Year 25 and over 21 to 24 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice
April 2018 (current rate) £7.83 £7.38 £5.90 £4.20 £3.70
April 2019 £8.21 £7.70 £6.15 £4.35 £3.90

The current rate of MINIMUM wages. Your claim of £100 per day is £12.50 per hour.

Is that so unreasonable?

Now look at the rate for an apprentice. That is £156 per WEEK. 

Could you live on that, taking into consideration or £8,112 per 52 week year? The good news is that you won't pay any income tax as you will earn less than the rax free allowance. 

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/tax-and-national-insurance-deductions

As an employee:

• you pay 0% on incomes up to £11,850* (£12,500 for 2019-20)
  • then you pay 20% on anything you earn between £11,851 and £46,350 (£12,501-£50,001 for 2019-20)

You won't even pay ant NI contributions for the pension that you probably won't get anyway. 

You will most likely live at home with your parents and cycle to work as you won't be able to afford anything else.

This of course assumes that you can find a company who will give you an apprenticeship in the first place.

If the UK stays in your glorious caring EU as a young lad you could always be unemployed in the UK where the youth unemployment rate in March 2018 was only 10.6%

https://www.statista.com/statistics/280228/youth-unemployment-rate-18-24-in-the-united-kingdom-uk-per-month/

Or go to the EU and look for work in Spain at 34.9%

https://tradingeconomics.com/spain/youth-unemployment-rate

Portugal is much better at only 21.4%

https://tradingeconomics.com/portugal/youth-unemployment-rate

Greece is down to only 36.6% in August 2018

https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/youth-unemployment-rate

France perhaps? Better than the UK at only 9.1%

https://tradingeconomics.com/france/unemployment-rate

Germany? Now that is the place to go. It is only 6.8%

https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/youth-unemployment-rate

billd766

understand what you say

but

I actually think that the situation for low skill, unskill, new/young skill workers

will not improve after Brexit, rather the opposite would be my guess

why?

UK does not have the right politicians for improving life for plebs,

they are good at stepping on plebs, but nee good at lifting 'em

no sweat - keep on voting tory - history has shown that plebs can take a lot of bashing and beating

best that could happen in uk would be if

tory could split in centre conservative and very conservative

likewise

labour

split in centre left and lefter than left

than you have a potential sound basis for the future if you could do smth with this fptp crap

but of course uk cant change - too radical to change fptp

What is it that you fail to understand about that?

Or are you deliberately misinterpreting what I said?

It must be one or the other, otherwise the rest of your post makes zero sense!
This all started with a comment in a post you made about those who voted leave in order to STOP immigration. There was no caveat added to that post that you were talking about a tiny minority of leavers. Therefore the impression that was given was that this was a common goal for your average leaver. To repeat, I think this is nonsense.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Surely not the EU?

What is wrong with getting a visa from the country that you wish to work, study or live in permanently?

It is little different from getting a visa to a country outside of the EU, and there are very many of them too.

that's the point. so who stops the young people from the EU. that's exactly what brexiteers want. be sure there will be no asymmetrical concessions of the EU for the sole good of the uk. the old people of the uk have curtailed the future of the young people.

39 minutes ago, adammike said:

Yes but there has to be infrastructure to enable them to get health care ,hospitals equipped with trained staff etc houses and apartments built connected to water electricity,internet and so on.

and they need bloody roads to get to the hospital

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

And nowhere have I ever mentioned EU nationality, the EU is a legal entity not a nation.

By default all British citizens are also EU citizens, citizen of the EU for the pedantic, and you just have to live with for another 15 weeks or so.

I lived without acceptance of that since inception and will continue to live not as a EU citizen.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Surely not the EU?

You really don't understand do you?

Right now, anyone can get on their bike and work, live and retire anywhere in the EU.

No orders, no travel warrants, nothing! Unbelievable eh?

1 hour ago, tomacht8 said:

that's the point. so who stops the young people from the EU. that's exactly what brexiteers want. be sure there will be no asymmetrical concessions of the EU for the sole good of the uk. the old people of the uk have curtailed the future of the young people.

Please answer the question.

So who will stop the young people from going to the the EU?

The UK or the EU?

THAT is the point.

If young people want to go to an EU country and they have a visa, the UK won't stop them. If they cannot get a visa from an EU country it is a problem caused by that particular country, NOT the UK.

If you want to visit any country outside of the EU what you will need to do is to apply for a visa, even to visit North Korea should you so wish, and the UK will not stop you from applying.

You claim that "that's exactly what brexiteers want. be sure there will be no asymmetrical concessions of the EU for the sole good of the uk."

Do you have anything to back up what you say? Any links, any laid down policy, any reports, anything at all?

19 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You really don't understand do you?

Right now, anyone can get on their bike and work, live and retire anywhere in the EU.

No orders, no travel warrants, nothing! Unbelievable eh?

Old retirees living in thailand can hardly understand the world of young people. My thai wife is mad at the brexit nonsense. They not only pull down the British pound but also the Euro. 

I found this on another site and I thought it may raise a chuckle ot 2.

Brexit made simple!
David Davis is at the golf club returning his locker key when Mr Barnier, the membership secretary sees him. 
"Hello Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier. "I'm sorry to hear you are no longer renewing your club membership, if you would like to come to my office we can settle your account.
"I have settled my bar bill," says Mr Davis.
"Ah yes Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier, "but there are other matters that need a settlement.
In Mr Barnier's office - Mr Davis explains that he has settled his bar bill so wonders what else he can possibly owe the Golf Club?
"Well Mr Davis" begins Mr Barnier, "you did agree to buy one of our Club Jackets.
"Yes" agrees Mr Davis "I did agree to buy a jacket but I haven't received it yet". "As soon as you supply the jacket I will send you a cheque for the full amount.
"That will not be possible" explains Mr Barnier. "As you are no longer a club member you will not be entitled to buy one of our jackets"!
"But you still want me to pay for it" exclaims Mr Davis.
"Yes," says Mr Barnier, "That will be £500 for the jacket. There is also your bar bill".
"But I've already settled my bar bill," says Mr Davis.
"Yes," says Mr Barnier, "but as you can appreciate, we need to place our orders from the Brewery in advance to ensure our bar is properly stocked". "You regularly used to spend at least £50 a week in the bar so we have placed orders with the brewery accordingly for the coming year. You, therefore, owe us £2600 for the year".
"Will you still allow me to have these drinks?" asks Mr Davis.
"No of course not Mr Davis". "You are no longer a club member!" says Mr Barnier. "Next is your restaurant bill" continues Mr Barnier. "In the same manner, we have to make arrangements in advance with our catering suppliers". "Your average restaurant bill was in the order of £300 a month, so we'll require payment of £3600 for the next year".
"I don't suppose you'll be letting me have these meals either," asks Mr Davis. "No, of course not," says an irritated Mr Barnier, "you are no longer a club member!
"Then of course" Mr Barnier continues, "there are repairs to the clubhouse roof".
"Clubhouse roof" exclaims Mr Davis, "What's that got to do with me?"
"Well it still needs to be repaired and the builders are coming in next week", your share of the bill is £2000.
"I see," says Mr Davis, "anything else?".
"Now you mention it," says Mr Barnier, "there is Fred the Barman's pension". "We would like you to pay £5 a week towards Fred's pension when he retires next month". "He's not well you know so I doubt we'll need to ask you for payment for longer than about five years, so £1300 should do it "This brings your total bill to £10,000"
"Let me get this straight" says Mr Davis, "you want me to pay £500 for a jacket you won't let me have, £2600 for beverages you won't let me drink and £3600 for food you won't let me eat, all under a roof I won't be allowed under and not served by a bloke who's going to retire next month!
"Yes, it's all perfectly clear and quite reasonable," says Mr Barnier.
"Piss off!" says Mr Davis 
Now we understand what Brexit is all about!!!!! Brexit made simple!

Oh and you've got to promise not to set up a hard border in N.I. 

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Please answer the question.

So who will stop the young people from going to the the EU?

The UK or the EU?

THAT is the point.

If young people want to go to an EU country and they have a visa, the UK won't stop them. If they cannot get a visa from an EU country it is a problem caused by that particular country, NOT the UK.

If you want to visit any country outside of the EU what you will need to do is to apply for a visa, even to visit North Korea should you so wish, and the UK will not stop you from applying.

You claim that "that's exactly what brexiteers want. be sure there will be no asymmetrical concessions of the EU for the sole good of the uk."

Do you have anything to back up what you say? Any links, any laid down policy, any reports, anything at all?

why do we need visas in europe for europeans? Why create a new bureaucratic monster? that you try get in kampheng pet with your pension over the rounds is ok. Why cut the freedom of others?

4 hours ago, rixalex said:

This all started with a comment in a post you made about those who voted leave in order to STOP immigration. There was no caveat added to that post that you were talking about a tiny minority of leavers. Therefore the impression that was given was that this was a common goal for your average leaver. To repeat, I think this is nonsense.

It's more than a tiny minority much much more,it was probably the biggest reason to vote leave it's just the way it is,its not that they are all racist but many not just a few English are, it's the perception that they take all the jobs and clog up the health service take all the houses etc.

Archived