Green Line BTS extension open for free trial

webfact

Green Line BTS extension open for free trial

PNPBH611206001000204.jpg

BANGKOK, 6th December 2018 (NNT) – The BTS Skytrain has opened its Green Line extension from Bering to Samut Prakan for free use from now to April 15 2019. 

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha chaired the launch of the line’s four month trial period, during which travel will be completely free for the public. The 13 kilometer extension is to be open daily from 6AM to midnight and comprises nine stations; Pu Chao, Chang Erawan, Royal Thai Naval Academy, Pak Nam, Srinagarindra, Phraek Sa, Sai Luat and Keha, where an eight rai space has been equipped with a 1,200 car parking structure. 

The PM remarked that his government has been working to improve the quality of life of Thai citizens and end inequality by extending rail transport. He elaborated that of 15 routes being constructed two are now complete, extending single and dual rail travel from 3,000 kilometers to between 4 and 5,000 kilometers. The administration is seeking to further increase that achievement to 6,000 kilometers in the near future and is looking to connect all forms of transport. 

While fares for the Green Line extension have yet to be set, those traveling from existing stations will see fares reach a maximum of only 65 baht.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-12-06

39 minutes ago, eggers said:

No matter what positive steps Prayut's Gov't takes, there's always Naysayers!!

BTS system is a great system compared to many others around world...punctual, v clean & cheap!! 

I guess you just came to Thailand or tourist who used BTS a few times? Maybe you missed out the June trouble.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30349415

As for price, there are cheaper system in other countries, how many system you have tried before?

• Like 2

New York is $2.75 (about 89 bt) for a single trip no matter how far you go, altho some lines are much, much longer than the completed lines here.  Plus, half fare for ALL seniors so long as you can show proof of age.  There are also student and monthly tickets which can bring the fare down, depending on how frequently you use it.

3 minutes ago, snooky said:

New York is $2.75 (about 89 bt) for a single trip no matter how far you go, altho some lines are much, much longer than the completed lines here.  Plus, half fare for ALL seniors so long as you can show proof of age.  There are also student and monthly tickets which can bring the fare down, depending on how frequently you use it.

Thanks for the info , but quite irrelevant to this thread

I think it’s fair to show comparatives in terms of fares versus distance traveled etc... but in the end, the only real measure that matters is here in Bangkok.

Thai said, I do think this is a net benefit for the city as well as many of the smaller communities and sub-communities that dot the new line and areas immediately around it.  So, regardless of the status of the government, how they came to power etc, for the people, I think this is good.

is the bts financially viable (ie fare levels) for all city folks?  No.  But to that end, I think the government also looking at lower cost options like bus, is also good. 

Edited by new2here

Given the enormous gap in incomes (Thailand now no. 1 in the world, announced yesterday), seems to me bts and similar should be heavily subsidised to ensure there are benefits to society at large, people can get to work more quickly and more economically, hopefully less cars nd fume spewing buses etc., on the roads? etc.

In a real first world country no subsidy.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shady86 said:

I guess you just came to Thailand or tourist who used BTS a few times? Maybe you missed out the June trouble.

As for price, there are cheaper system in other countries, how many system you have tried before?

Well done.  Almost 20 years of superb service and you point out that one incident which is utterly irrelevant is the overall scheme of things.

I agree that it is not affordable for a great many Thais though.

That's being pathetic. I remember back in oz your were astonished if a train turned up on time or several didn't break down.

For a developing country thailand is a standout with the bts and mrt, way ahead of its time

On the free side, it is worth remembering that every BTS extension aside from the Bang Wah last 2 stations opening, has had a period of free rides offered by the BMA as 'compensation' for delayed openings.

In this case, this extension was originally scheduled to open in Dec 2016. 

Edited by Lakegeneve

On 6 December 2018 at 6:55 PM, eggers said:

No matter what positive steps Prayut's Gov't takes, there's always Naysayers!!

BTS system is a great system compared to many others around world...punctual, v clean & cheap!! 

Your statement actually displays a high level of ignorance.

This extension started work in April 2012 under the previous govt. It was actually originally due to open in late 2016. It has nothing to do with the Prayut govt except for the further delay in opening while the MRTA which funded the extension negotiated with the BMA forcing them to take on the ownership of the ext and and service the debt.

Indeed, the current govt delayed the tenders of 5 new metro lines for 2 years after they took power while they reviewed all projects. The MRT Orange line (construction started mid 2017), MRT Pink line (Dec 2017) & MRT Yellow line (March 2018) were all planned start in 2014. Add to that further delays with the ARL ext (now new Eastern HSR line), SRT Red lines, Purple line ext, Orange line ext and well you see that there has been a significant backlog of projects in recent years. The last 2 were actually due to be tendered by the end of 2017 but have been further delayed until 2019 as the govt changed policy and made them PPP projects.

The coup in May 2014 led to a clear 2+ year delays with all metro and rail projects such that most were only approved in 2017 and 2018. Every new govt deserves some time to review infrastructure projects but the all these metro lines have all been part of the same OTP & MOT plan since 2005. Each govt since then has followed the same plan but every change of govt has resulted in delays in advancing specific projects - indeed the previous govt wasted a good 18 months after being elected in 2011 while conducting its own review. This govt had a longer delay as they took longer to review all metro projects and were initially prioritising other transport (mainly road) projects before belatedly advancing mass transit projects. 

• Like 2

On 7 December 2018 at 12:33 PM, Darkside Gray said:

Why give away a free trial. surely everyone has used the system and is suitably aware of it.

Every BTS has had a free trial period after it has opened (except of the last 2 stations for when the Bang Wah ext opened in stages). The BMA has offered this as 'compensation' due to the fact that every extension has opened between 1-2 years late! 

(WWY ext opened 18 months late, Bearing ext opened over 2 years late etc)

Remember, this extension was originally due to open in Dec 2016.

(Not that the BTSC would have extra trains for it by then as they placed the order way too late - hence why only 3 new sets of rolling stock - out of 22 - have arrived in time for the opening. Which is why you have a seperate shuttle service on a 10 min frequency)

I agree with the notion that the fares are too high for the Thai salaries. The 1 Baht discount per ride when using a rabbit card is too little. You can purchase 15 trips to use for 1 month, where each trip would cost you 30 Baht. This is good for office workers who travel daily and their regular fares would otherwise be over 30 Baht. However, this doesn't include the 15 Baht "extra" fare from Bang Chak and further down the Sukhumvit line. I personally find this "extra fee" ridiculous. Now you can travel from on nut to kheha for only 15 Baht. That's what.... 6 or 7 stations? What's the point? I understand the point of the extra fee when bang chak-bearing was a new extension.... Now, so many people are getting on and off from those stations, that I feel like it is an integrated part of the BTS system, so should be fared just as the rest of the line, not as "extra". 

6 hours ago, NoMeAmes said:

I agree with the notion that the fares are too high for the Thai salaries. The 1 Baht discount per ride when using a rabbit card is too little. You can purchase 15 trips to use for 1 month, where each trip would cost you 30 Baht. This is good for office workers who travel daily and their regular fares would otherwise be over 30 Baht. However, this doesn't include the 15 Baht "extra" fare from Bang Chak and further down the Sukhumvit line. I personally find this "extra fee" ridiculous. Now you can travel from on nut to kheha for only 15 Baht. That's what.... 6 or 7 stations? What's the point? I understand the point of the extra fee when bang chak-bearing was a new extension.... Now, so many people are getting on and off from those stations, that I feel like it is an integrated part of the BTS system, so should be fared just as the rest of the line, not as "extra". 

The new extension to Kheha whilst built with MRTA funds is now owned by the BMA (as every extension is) after the MRTA forced them to take on the debt of construction. (Other BTS exts were funded fully by the BMA from the outset). The BMA has granted the concession to BTSC to operates the 2 BTS lines. Thus, for the new extension the BMA has further contracted the BTSC to operate the extension with a free trial period/flat fare. They did the same for the 3 previous extensions which have opened on the BTS lines (including when On Nut ext to Bearing opened 2.5 yrs late!).

It's the BMA decision, it's their extension and they see an initial free period/flat fare as good PR. Also, given that this line was originally scheduled to open in late 2016 one could see this as compensation to pax for the late opening.

It is worth remembering that at one point 3 years ago there was a discussion that if the concession for the Bearing to Kheha ext was granted to another operator then that operator would have to purchase their own trains and the crazy option was canvassed that pax would have to change at Bearing from BTSC trains to the other operators trains continue onwards to Kheha. (More likely they would have granted rights for the BTSC trains to continue on the extension and paid the BTSC a fee while collecting shared revenue).

It highlights that although the flawed private concessionaire model is meant to promote competition and cheaper pricing it actually achieves the opposite as incumbent operators have an advantage as we have seen with both BTSC and BEM - formerly BMCL - being granted contracts to operate all new exts/lines. Famously, the BEM was given the MRT Blue line ext operator contract without a bid. Under the Bangkok metro model, there is no compulsion for private concessionaire companies to integrate services with other operators, adopt a common ticketing platform nor purchase sufficient rolling stock (usually delayed due to debt issues). A single, integrated, muti-mode, govt operator could do all if the correct operational framework was in place.

9 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

A single, integrated, muti-mode, govt operator could do all if the correct operational framework was in place.

I'll add "with teeth" to that. With the governance split between MRTA and BMA little will happen, sad fact of life here ????

The LTA in Singapore are all powerful. Want to run transit? Accept the common card or you don't get the operation licence, QED.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:31 PM, sanemax said:

Thanks for the info , but quite irrelevant to this thread

Just doing a comparison of costs which were mentioned by other posters.  But I can understand that your comment is mostly to boost your post count - pretty impressive - an average of about 20 per day????

Edited by snooky
added thought

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, shady86 said:

I have been hearing announcement in train lately.
"Please give your seat to pregnant women bearing special tax."
I might heard wrongly, what kind of tax does a pregnant women needs to bear? ????

I'll have to listen for that one, the announcements are usually pretty good on the BTS.

On January 17, 2019 at 6:27 AM, shady86 said:

I have been hearing announcement in train lately.

"Please give your seat to pregnant women bearing special tax."

I might heard wrongly, what kind of tax does a pregnant women needs to bear? :)

Tax=Task?