Why Do Some People Not Register Their Marriage

bubbaba

I would like to know any and all reasons one can come up with for not registering their marriage at the Ampure office.  Since one can hide their true identity when posting on here lets be honest and lay it all out. All reasons a Falang or a Thai would use.

When officially married in Thailand, it is registered at the amphur, that is the place where you get married. The buddhist backyard ceremony is not official, as far as the law is concerned one is not officially married having done a ceremony like that.

Not having the correct paperwork.

Cant be bothered to get it.

Dont want to legally "tie" together until proven relationship. (Gold digger)

Cant, because present relationship hasnt been legally dissolved.(still married)

Didnt know you had to.

Believes everything "she" told him.(doesnt know about Amphur).

"He" states it isnt recognised in his country, it has to be done there. (meaning: he doesnt want to legally do it,)

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Because they don't want to be married, but don't mind going through the meaningless Buddhist ritual.

As the spiritual and familiar ceremony is considered to be more valuable and legitimate than an invented documentation certifying as such - it's still quite the fashion [without the Amphoe registration] among a goodly percentage.....

In my experience 20 years married to Thai wife its not been a problem for me but a problem for the wife as she has my family name anything official seems to require a photo copy of my passport and my signature, only recently just for a insurance policy she wished to take out for herself could not be done without my consent as I work away for long periods of time it can be a bit annoying for her we wouldn't have bothered if we had the foresight of the problems to come

7 hours ago, drayger said:

In my experience 20 years married to Thai wife its not been a problem for me but a problem for the wife as she has my family name anything official seems to require a photo copy of my passport and my signature, only recently just for a insurance policy she wished to take out for herself could not be done without my consent as I work away for long periods of time it can be a bit annoying for her we wouldn't have bothered if we had the foresight of the problems to come

I would think it would be easy to change it back to

an unmarried status.

When a Thai person is married to a foreigner, the officialdom will consider that person from there on to be a walking ATM. My wife and I did a Thai-Chinese tea ceremony for the family but we did not officially get married. This makes it easier for the Thai person to own properties without being harassed by the local officials. There are plenty of visa options, so marrying is not necessary for that reason.

Married abroad, pain in the neck to get all the paper work translated and officiated and as someone mentioned, not being officially married facilitates certain transactions, especially land purchases. It was never a problem getting a visa extension based on being married (until I hit my 50s). In my mind, there is very little benefit in registering a marriage in Thailand on top of a legal marriage abroad. Our kids have my surname and double nationality. I am more interested to know why anyone would register their marriage at the Amphur.

In answer to several questions about why you would register your marriage. A marriage in Thailand is not legally recognized in Thailand and/or USA if it is not registered in the Ampure Office in Thailand. If you married in Thailand and did not register the marriage, you are still single. I do not know about other countries. Also I would think that anyone who really was serious about his/her marriage would want it registered so as to be legally married.

Having had a child here there is no benegit to marriage as you have to produce more paperwork than if you apply for an extension on retirement grounds. The Thai government are bias and raciest toward farang who marry Thai citizens. Why bother. 

If you simply have a "marriage" ceremony with family and monks officiating, legally you are still single and living in a defacto type relationship.. But to family and friends you're married.. If the marriage is made official by registering it at the local amphur office, then and only then, you are legally husband and wife..

And when legally married, then any assets accumulated after that date  are split 50/50% on breakdown and divorce.. So if you have many assets as a farang, you could lose so much.. If you purchase one or more condos, a business interest, lots of furniture etc after you are legally married you could get burnt badly on a break up.. Could cost you a fortune.. But if unregistered marriage, your assets are your assets only.. Cannot legally be touched by your partner or former partner..

If you don't register the marriage, by Thai law you are still legally single, thus protecting yourself from a potential gold digger.. Also, many countries paying OAP, have a much lowered pension rate for a married couple compared to still being single.. If married legally, and your wife is much younger and of working age still, then the pension paid is treated differently.. Your partner is working, so your pension can be reduced accordingly.. I know with Australia, to maximise your age pension, you try to hide the fact that you are married.. If not officially registered you're OK, but if registered through your amphur, the government can find out, then suddenly your aged pension is reduced accordingly..

On 12/10/2018 at 4:09 PM, bubbaba said:

...any and all reasons one can come up with for not registering their marriage at the Ampure office

For Thais the "village marriage" is "legal", as everybody in the family and village knows the couple are married, sin sot is paid, and a party held for relatives and villagers – you are considered husband and wife, when you sleep together, married or not. In case something goes wrong between the marriage couple, it's easy to dissolve; i.e. just split and that's it; paperwork at an amphor office just makes everything unnecessary complicated.

It's just like living together with a girlfriend without any paperwork, which can also work out fine – might even work better than marriage, as you stay together because you want to stay together, not because of paperwork that is complicated to dissolve – my lovely Thai girlfriend and I have so far managed 15-years now without any paperwork...????

15 hours ago, Amplish said:

Married abroad, pain in the neck to get all the paper work translated and officiated and as someone mentioned, not being officially married facilitates certain transactions, especially land purchases. It was never a problem getting a visa extension based on being married (until I hit my 50s). In my mind, there is very little benefit in registering a marriage in Thailand on top of a legal marriage abroad. Our kids have my surname and double nationality. I am more interested to know why anyone would register their marriage at the Amphur.

We were similar. In terms of purchasing a car and property in both our names it was far easier doing so being legally married here as well is in the UK. That was probably the only reason we registered it here. 

On 12/11/2018 at 7:56 AM, drayger said:

These days a woman is not required to change her maiden name when getting married. You have a choice. We married but my wife retained her maiden name as I could see the possible disadvantages you mention.

Being married you can apply for a one year visa extension with less money in the bank than a retirement extension.

Married or not , if you live with your partner several years it can be treated as a common law marriage and each side has certain rights with regard to shared collateral. I was told this by a Thai lawyer but have not checked the veracity of it.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:37 PM, CharlieH said:

Not having the correct paperwork.

Cant be bothered to get it.

Dont want to legally "tie" together until proven relationship. (Gold digger)

Cant, because present relationship hasnt been legally dissolved.(still married)

Didnt know you had to.

Believes everything "she" told him.(doesnt know about Amphur).

"He" states it isnt recognised in his country, it has to be done there. (meaning: he doesnt want to legally do it,)

Maybe "she" is actually a "he" and can not have the paperwork done, at least not yet ????

Archived