US ambassador shares concerns about tourism in Phuket

webfact

US ambassador shares concerns about tourism in Phuket

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__38748193-1024x767-1.jpg

The acting US ambassador has met with Phuket’s Vice Governor to discuss long-term tourism and environment issues whilst visiting the island.

Peter Haymond, the acting US Ambassador, met with Phuket’s Vice Governor Prakob Wongmaneerung at the Phuket Provincial Hall today.

The Phuket PR Office reports that Vice Governor Prakob says, “The ambassador is interested in Phuket as it is an international tourist city where many Americans visit. More and more tourists are visiting Phuket every year. So how is Phuket being managed in relation to the environment and safety aspects.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/us-ambassador-shares-concerns-about-tourism-in-phuket

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-12-12

5 hours ago, quadperfect said:

I have met about 2 amerivans innphuket in 12 years. Says a lot about phuket

I have met a lot more than that  ... mind you that's over 22 years. My first neighbour was American. I have had at least 10 US tenants over the years. Have 2 right now. Can think of another 20 passing friends. Lots of them down at Don's restaurant in Rawai. All claiming to be ex CIA or ex NASA or ex FBI.

For sure US visitors to Phuket are less than other Western nationalities.

• Haha 2

On 12/11/2018 at 10:24 PM, LivinginKata said:

I have met a lot more than that  ... mind you that's over 22 years. My first neighbour was American. I have had at least 10 US tenants over the years. Have 2 right now. Can think of another 20 passing friends. Lots of them down at Don's restaurant in Rawai. All claiming to be ex CIA or ex NASA or ex FBI.

There aren't a lot of us and probably will be less with the new stupidity with Thai Immigration not accepting income affidavits from the US, UK and Australian embassies. I guess I will get a new O-A from the Thai Embassy here in the US next month. At least I won't have to deal with the Phuket Immigration Office any more! And I have never claimed to be a spook or a kook! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2018 at 5:24 PM, LivinginKata said:

22 years, and you haven't met someone claiming to be from SEAL Team 11?  ????

17 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

As it happens I have had guests who are credible SAS or SBS members (Brits). But you need to stop trolling NKM. ????

I have met many here claiming to be from this, or from that. Of course, the majority of the time it's all BS.

I once met a guy here who claimed to be Mossad, so, I said, "Shalom."  He said, "What did you call me?"  I said, "Never mind."  ???? 

The funniest one I met was a guy who never claimed to be SAS, CIA etc, yet, he went on and on about all the police and officials here he knew, and who he counted as his "friends."  When asked, his claim to fame was, "I own a bar here."  I burst out laughing. 

Ahhhh, Phuket does attract some characters.  ????

Edited by NamKangMan

On 12/31/2018 at 7:27 PM, NamKangMan said:

I have met many here claiming to be from this, or from that. Of course, the majority of the time it's all BS.

I once met a guy here who claimed to be Mossad, so, I said, "Shalom."  He said, "What did you call me?"  I said, "Never mind."  ???? 

The funniest one I met was a guy who never claimed to be SAS, CIA etc, yet, he went on and on about all the police and officials here he knew, and who he counted as his "friends."  When asked, his claim to fame was, "I own a bar here."  I burst out laughing. 

Ahhhh, Phuket does attract some characters.  ????

Ahhhh, Phuket does attract some characters.

Agree with that remark and just a couple that spring to mind are the guy who used to walk around here in combat fatigues, complete with beret and desert boots (and I think he was from Belgium or thereabouts) although I have not seen him in that "uniform" for a while now, and the other guy was from the UK and who always sported a black T-shirt and a black cap and would stroll around Jungceylon and its close environs "observing" as he would say.

He said that he was an undercover cop working with the Thai police and was on constant duty here and liked to creep up behind other expats, put his hand on their shoulder and say, "you're nicked" hoping it would frighten them.

I don't think the guy was a "sandwich short of a picnic" but he certainly revelled in his fantasy world.

Another guy, although not quite in the same bracket, is a guy I know who is constantly looking for a condo to buy, or that's what he says anyway.

However when I first met him about four years ago he was looking then and asked me to go along and look at a couple with him, which I did, anyway nothing became of that little venture and he has been looking and visiting condos ever since.

Saw him just a couple of days ago and he has been looking at a few more of late, but with no decision, so maybe he just needs something to do or is looking for company?

On 1/3/2019 at 2:43 PM, xylophone said:

Ahhhh, Phuket does attract some characters.

Agree with that remark and just a couple that spring to mind are the guy who used to walk around here in combat fatigues, complete with beret and desert boots (and I think he was from Belgium or thereabouts) although I have not seen him in that "uniform" for a while now, and the other guy was from the UK and who always sported a black T-shirt and a black cap and would stroll around Jungceylon and its close environs "observing" as he would say.

He said that he was an undercover cop working with the Thai police and was on constant duty here and liked to creep up behind other expats, put his hand on their shoulder and say, "you're nicked" hoping it would frighten them.

I don't think the guy was a "sandwich short of a picnic" but he certainly revelled in his fantasy world.

Another guy, although not quite in the same bracket, is a guy I know who is constantly looking for a condo to buy, or that's what he says anyway.

However when I first met him about four years ago he was looking then and asked me to go along and look at a couple with him, which I did, anyway nothing became of that little venture and he has been looking and visiting condos ever since.

Saw him just a couple of days ago and he has been looking at a few more of late, but with no decision, so maybe he just needs something to do or is looking for company?

"the guy who used to walk around here in combat fatigues, complete with beret and desert boots" - we nick named this guy "Rambo."  ????

• Haha 1