Road deaths higher in first three of “seven dangerous days”

webfact

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"......Colonel Sirichan Nga-thong said action had already been taken against 60,492 drunk drivers."

That is an absolutely astonishing figure in only three days and just goes to show a huge number of drivers here really don't give a shit.

That number is truly astonishing. 

But is it even possible to have physically breath tested that number of people in such a short period of time, along with doing everything else they do??

Well. What surprises me about these 7 dangerous days is the headlines. -Simple maths tells me that increasing the traffic numbers, the death toll has to rise. All over the world. Nothing disturbing in this. Same shocking story all over again every year.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:07 AM, colinneil said:

Why speak about ..... Seven dangerous days?

Every day on the roads here is just as dangerous as the next.

Very true.

In fact the average over the first 4 'deadly days' @ 59 is lower than the annual average of 66.

rk.jpg

Road accidents in Thailand

• 2nd in the world for road accident deaths, after Libya

• 24,000 people are estimated to die on Thai roads every year

• 73% of those killed are motorcyclists

• 36.9m vehicles ply Thai roads - it's gone up by 30% in the last five years

World Health Organization

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38660283

On 12/31/2018 at 8:54 AM, Reigntax said:

So all the talk and no action doesnt reduce the road deaths. Who would have thought.

But the same rhetoric will continue to occur each and every holiday period while they seek praise for talking themselves up without actually doing anything.

It's a conditioned cultural response - by "idiots"! All talk, no action. 

And, if the "elite" are not being killed why would those in charge care?  ????

On 12/31/2018 at 7:32 AM, stanleycoin said:

What about the sober ones, that Drive/Ride the same,  drunk or sober.

the drunk driving thing is a bit of smoke and mirror trick here.

Can anyone tell the difference who is drunk or sober on the roads here,  they drive the same , 

To Fast.

To Selfish.

To Stupid. 

Carry on Thailand.

Too Fast, Selfish & Stupid to change lane when other Vehicles are trying to do a U-Turn. No idea on why they have this navigate attitude or courtesy  to other road users,

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:10 AM, missoura said:

A couple of days ago we saw numerous checkpoints traveling around Phitsanulok province and they do help. But the problem is still the stretch of road between the checkpoints...

car passing.JPG

I thought everyone knew Thais could see around corners.......as well as over hills and as for driving at night with no lights....

On 1/1/2019 at 4:56 AM, Refugee said:

Well. What surprises me about these 7 dangerous days is the headlines. -Simple maths tells me that increasing the traffic numbers, the death toll has to rise. All over the world. Nothing disturbing in this. Same shocking story all over again every year.

It is vey true that the amount of traffic on Thai roads has increased exponentially - but successive governments have failed to provide suitable infrastructure for this - in many other countries vehicle ownership has been accompanied by reductions in death, injuries and even collisions.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:10 AM, missoura said:

A couple of days ago we saw numerous checkpoints traveling around Phitsanulok province and they do help. But the problem is still the stretch of road between the checkpoints...

car passing.JPG

"A couple of days ago we saw numerous checkpoints traveling around Phitsanulok province and they do help. " Really would you are to explain how you think this works, perhaps with a logical argument to bak it up?

you also don't seem to be able to read photos very well.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 7:07 AM, colinneil said:

Why speak about ..... Seven dangerous days?

Every day on the roads here is just as dangerous as the next.

Fully support your comment Colin...............

Well a few incidents yesterday, within a two-hour period, fully encapsulated all that is wrong with Thai driving here.......

Whilst driving my car from Patong to Phuket town to see a friend who was in hospital, I encountered a couple of teenagers, both with no helmets, riding a motorbike with the very thin tyres and souped up exhaust, precariously and far too quickly in and out of the vehicles on a two lane road, surely a recipe for a serious accident or death, because they were going to fast to be able to stop if anything untoward occurred.

Then as I was driving down near the bypass road, where there are four lanes for a short while, I was in the one out from the inside lane, and spied a car ahead of me slowly edging out of a side road, but thankfully it stopped, however I still kept my eye on it and almost when I became level with it, the car suddenly pulled out not into the inside lane, but across that and into my lane, and I had to swerve violently to miss it – – such was the suddenness of it and it was so close that I didn't have time to sound my horn because the whole incident happened when this car was almost level with me. To be honest it was a bit of a scary incident.

A few minutes later an ambulance with its sirens blaring was trying to negotiate some traffic as it was heading towards Bangkok Phuket hospital, but no cars in front of it would pull over and give it room, so there it was stuck in traffic and I only hoped that the incumbent in the vehicle was not suffering too badly.

After leaving the hospital I tried to enter the main road at a T-junction only to have to wait whilst three motorbikes (scooters) one driven by a young boy who would not have been any older than 14, and I doubt the other drivers were much older, and each motorbike had three youngsters on it; so three motorbikes and nine riders, none of whom looked over 16, and none of them wearing crash helmets. Furthermore they were fooling around on these bikes whilst travelling forward, waving to each other and wobbling around on the road.

I thought I'd seen it all and was considering myself lucky to still be alive when I pulled up behind a very old Mazda pickup truck, and there were at least a dozen (from what I could see from behind it) labourers sitting in the back of this thing, and there was so little room that four of them were sitting on the tailboard.

It pulled away when the traffic lights went green and traffic in front of it moved off, with me following it, however for no reason whatsoever this heap of crap just got over the white line by the traffic lights and then came to a halt unexpectedly, so I had to brake quickly to accommodate this (this especially as I had not been expecting it to stop when the lights were green and when it was halfway across them) however I quickly glanced in my rearview mirror and saw another car heading towards me at a rate which would suggest it was going to go straight through the lights and only realised at the last minute that I had stopped, so there was a huge screeching of tyres as it endeavoured to stop behind me, so I managed to ease forward about half a metre to try and allow that to happen, which it did although he was no more than centimetres away from my rear bumper.

So I was seconds away from being rear-ended, and then this dilapidated Mazda decided to move off, just as the traffic lights were turning, so I stayed put.

At the next set of traffic lights the traffic was queued up for about 50 m or so and because of this, the motorbikes were weaving in and out of the stationary cars, some passing on the other side of the road, some down the middle and the majority driving onto the pavement and speeding along in front of the shops, just like it was a main road and I pittied anyone who happened to walk out of one of the shops whilst these idiots were speeding by.

Going up the Patong Hill I noticed there was a large patch of broken plastic in the middle-of-the-road which would suggest there had been an accident there of some description earlier on and by the looks of the plastic, it was from a motorbike.

And as if to add insult to injury, just a few days prior to this as I was waiting on my m/c (in the middle-of-the-road as is needed) to turn into the Jungceylon car park, one of the many minivans on the road, sped by the inside of me, missing me by all of 6 inches I would think – – bloody idiot, as there was plenty of room on the other side, but as we all know, there is absolutely no way that drivers here can drive between gaps unless there's at least a couple of metres either side of them!!!!

Essentially, in one afternoon I witnessed the madness, the idiocy and the stupidity which is inherent in a great majority of Thai drivers, so it is no wonder that the accident and death rate on these roads is appalling.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:49 AM, xylophone said:

Well a few incidents yesterday, within a two-hour period, fully encapsulated all that is wrong with Thai driving here.......

Whilst driving my car from Patong to Phuket town to see a friend who was in hospital, I encountered a couple of teenagers, both with no helmets, riding a motorbike with the very thin tyres and souped up exhaust, precariously and far too quickly in and out of the vehicles on a two lane road, surely a recipe for a serious accident or death, because they were going to fast to be able to stop if anything untoward occurred.

Then as I was driving down near the bypass road, where there are four lanes for a short while, I was in the one out from the inside lane, and spied a car ahead of me slowly edging out of a side road, but thankfully it stopped, however I still kept my eye on it and almost when I became level with it, the car suddenly pulled out not into the inside lane, but across that and into my lane, and I had to swerve violently to miss it – – such was the suddenness of it and it was so close that I didn't have time to sound my horn because the whole incident happened when this car was almost level with me. To be honest it was a bit of a scary incident.

A few minutes later an ambulance with its sirens blaring was trying to negotiate some traffic as it was heading towards Bangkok Phuket hospital, but no cars in front of it would pull over and give it room, so there it was stuck in traffic and I only hoped that the incumbent in the vehicle was not suffering too badly.

After leaving the hospital I tried to enter the main road at a T-junction only to have to wait whilst three motorbikes (scooters) one driven by a young boy who would not have been any older than 14, and I doubt the other drivers were much older, and each motorbike had three youngsters on it; so three motorbikes and nine riders, none of whom looked over 16, and none of them wearing crash helmets. Furthermore they were fooling around on these bikes whilst travelling forward, waving to each other and wobbling around on the road.

I thought I'd seen it all and was considering myself lucky to still be alive when I pulled up behind a very old Mazda pickup truck, and there were at least a dozen (from what I could see from behind it) labourers sitting in the back of this thing, and there was so little room that four of them were sitting on the tailboard.

It pulled away when the traffic lights went green and traffic in front of it moved off, with me following it, however for no reason whatsoever this heap of crap just got over the white line by the traffic lights and then came to a halt unexpectedly, so I had to brake quickly to accommodate this (this especially as I had not been expecting it to stop when the lights were green and when it was halfway across them) however I quickly glanced in my rearview mirror and saw another car heading towards me at a rate which would suggest it was going to go straight through the lights and only realised at the last minute that I had stopped, so there was a huge screeching of tyres as it endeavoured to stop behind me, so I managed to ease forward about half a metre to try and allow that to happen, which it did although he was no more than centimetres away from my rear bumper.

So I was seconds away from being rear-ended, and then this dilapidated Mazda decided to move off, just as the traffic lights were turning, so I stayed put.

At the next set of traffic lights the traffic was queued up for about 50 m or so and because of this, the motorbikes were weaving in and out of the stationary cars, some passing on the other side of the road, some down the middle and the majority driving onto the pavement and speeding along in front of the shops, just like it was a main road and I pittied anyone who happened to walk out of one of the shops whilst these idiots were speeding by.

Going up the Patong Hill I noticed there was a large patch of broken plastic in the middle-of-the-road which would suggest there had been an accident there of some description earlier on and by the looks of the plastic, it was from a motorbike.

And as if to add insult to injury, just a few days prior to this as I was waiting on my m/c (in the middle-of-the-road as is needed) to turn into the Jungceylon car park, one of the many minivans on the road, sped by the inside of me, missing me by all of 6 inches I would think – – bloody idiot, as there was plenty of room on the other side, but as we all know, there is absolutely no way that drivers here can drive between gaps unless there's at least a couple of metres either side of them!!!!

Essentially, in one afternoon I witnessed the madness, the idiocy and the stupidity which is inherent in a great majority of Thai drivers, so it is no wonder that the accident and death rate on these roads is appalling.

sounds like you shouldn't be driving.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:49 AM, xylophone said:

Sounds like you're lonely and bored.

Archived