For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

7 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

You are correct.  Certain things that are labor related like haircuts, gardeners are inexpensive.  However, anything in the supermarkets is easily 2 to 5 times more expensive than USA.   I saw a jar of black olives in Makro for $599 baht.  That is just ridiculous. 

If you are referring to imported goods, most of them are more expensive than in Europe and the US, although even here one should´t generalize. However, if one refers to Thai products, and there are quite a few of high quality, than they are cheaper than in most countries of the west. Of course, life for expatriates is getting more expensive in view of the strong Baht, but again, is it the fault of the Thais, or the foreign funds buying Thai currency, mostly for speculation purposes? Expatriates who get their income from their home country, must always consider the possibility of returning home, or wondering to other countries, if and when their home currency drops in value. The best example that I know of is the situation of the Brits in Spain in the 90ies. During the 70ies and 80ies the south of Spain used to be full of retired Brits, with some villages populated only by Brits. As Spain joined the EU and its currency strengthened, in particular against a weakening Pound, most Brits had to leave Spain and return home. This can happen to a lot of us, but it can happen in other countries, which are cheap now, such as Cambodia, Laos and others. This is a risk we all have to live with.

• Like 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

About 30bht/jar to make yourself.

Haven't got to that stage yet, although I do make a mean stewed apple with cloves, ginger and dried mango.

Don't think I've seen stewed apple anywhere here.

Congratulations on initiative.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I came to Thailand originally to load bombs in airplanes and drop them in various places in South East Asia.  Then as now 95% of the sex industry was for Thai people.  I guess you would want to throw the majority of Thai males out of Thailand too. 

I bet you'd go down a treat if you went round South East Asia telling the locals about it!

Read the posts again and explain where and how I've said I want to throw anyone out of Thailand especially those who come for the girls.

Why do you think I come to Thailand!

You're confusing me with the person I was responding to. Try taking your time to determine who has said what before jumping in with your eyes shut.

1 hour ago, HalfLight said:

Which type is that?

Honest? Respectable? Moral? Decent?

I think I understand you.

Actually i had games of crib, dominoes or quiz nights in mind for you. I prefer wild nights of anything goes, you know, balls felt and groping girls type of things .

Well...I agree with quite a few here...

It is what you make of it.

Up country is extremely cheap for food when eating out.

Eat more local foods as well if possible.

Property is cheaper up north as well depending where you are, We are about 30 minutes from Udon Thai and we have everything really locally that we need!

However The wife now doesn't want to retire to LOS because of the national instability, The corrupt system and the lack of any real law enforcement. 

So we will continue to just come a few months a year and keep the property's in Australia and LOS.

We enjoy the time we are there but at this stage it won't become a permanent option ! 

3 hours ago, madmen said:

90% of posters on this thread will still be here at next year's poll saying.. I'm thinking about going to Cambodia emoji16.png

More like 105% of them (the 100% currently posting plus another 5% that will join between now and next year's poll).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I believe the biggest problem for the farang here in Thailand is that the police now see us purely as a means of making/extorting money. It wasn,t like that many years ago, and Thailand was a much more pleasant place to be. The situation is getting worse, unfortunately, and many expats are seriously considering moving to an adjacent country, Cambodia in particular ????

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

We're also going to move out....enough is enough.

Many Thai products cost more in BKK than in the West....in the supermarkets...if you like high quality products (like most westerners do) thailand is 2-5 times as expensive as the West....so it's a no brainer for me...leave!

Quote:   "...in the supermarkets...if you like high quality products (like most westerners do) ..."

That's one person's opinion and there are others who perhaps agree, however I suspect there's plenty of foreigners living here who buy what fulfills their needs, regardless of country of origin and nothing more.

For the first couple of years I was here (now well over 30 years) I often looked for products from 'home' in the supermarkets, but now I have 'acclimatized' to local products I rarely look for products from home.

Nowadays there's really only one foreign product I look for as needed, VEGEMITE, because I really like it and my Thai son and my three Thai granddaughters are all 'VEGEMITE on toast' for part of their breakfast, and they tell me well in advance when the jar is down to 20%.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mike1967 said:

I like to go fishing in Thailand but even that has become unaffordable. In the few years I've been going to Thailand prices have crazy.

Bungsamran (Bangkok) has gone from 1,000 baht to 4,000 baht.

Pattaya fishing park has gone from 300 baht to 2,000 baht

Baytong fishing park (Pattaya) has gone from 150 baht to 850 baht.

Maybe the way to stop the prices going even higher is to just not go to these places? Thais will charge whatever they can get away with. If you pay they will charge!!!

We have to help ourselves.

Not only Thais, modern marketing is 'charge whatever you can get away with, in any country.

4 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

The usual ghormless response...accusatory.abusive and bereft of any form of intelligence whatsoever.Your day (and those like you) is done.

It is good to get away from the slithy toves..

Well point taken but the reality is there are many foreign men here who perfectly fit the 'sex tourist' label.

Just scan a few TV threads, many have diversions bout 'give her one' etc., etc.

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I've got a house, car, dog, girlfriend, motorbike, garden, etc., etc., so leaving Thailand would not be easy. I agree, though, that after 15 years of living here it's not the easy-going, fun-loving, bargain-basement place that it once was. Smiles here in Pattaya have become rarer than hen's teeth, and when I moved here to live getting stopped at three police check-points just to drive a few miles down the road wasn't part of the package. I mean, Thailand has long been a corrupt police state, but now it's a corrupt police state that will be overseen by the corrupt military for the foreseeable future under the new constitution. Do I really want to grow old living under that system? Not really sure what to do, to be honest.

And corrupt government soon

• Thanks 1