Prince Philip 'deeply sorry' after car crash

webfact

Britain's Prince Philip 'deeply sorry' after car crash

2019-01-27T114731Z_1_LYNXNPEF0Q0CO_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ROYALS-DUKE.JPG

Debris is seen at the scene where Britain's Prince Philip was involved in a traffic accident, near the Sandringham estate in eastern England, Britain, January 18, 2019. REUTERS/Chris Radburn/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Queen Elizabeth's 97-year-old husband Prince Philip has written to a woman injured in a crash involving his Land Rover this month to say he was "deeply sorry".

He wished Emma Fairweather a "speedy recovery from a very distressing experience" in the letter, dated Jan. 21 and published by the Sunday Mirror newspaper.

The apology, which was signed "Yours sincerely, Philip," came after the Royal Family was widely criticised over its response to the accident. Philip also received a warning from police for driving without a seatbelt two days after the crash.

Philip escaped without injury when the Land Rover he was driving flipped over following a collision with a Kia car carrying Fairweather on Jan. 17 close to the royals' Sandringham residence in Norfolk, eastern England.

Fairweather, 46, broke her wrist in the accident, and the driver of the Kia, which was carrying a nine-month-baby, suffered cuts to her knee.

"I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads," Philip said in the letter.

Philip suggested that the sun shining low over the main road played a part in the accident.

"In normal conditions I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences," he said.

Philip said he was "somewhat shaken" after the crash and was greatly relieved that there were no serious injuries. He said he was advised to return to Sandringham by a police officer, and only subsequently learned of Fairweather's injury.

"I ma deeply sorry about this injury" he said.

Fairweather said the letter was a "nice touch".

"It is a difficult letter to write – to know what would be the right thing to say without making me more upset," she told the newspaper.

(Reporting by Paul Sandle; Editing by Keith Weir)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-01-28
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pegman said:

Took him long enough.

maybe it was hand-written ????
or maybe there was disagreement with the textwriters about the letters' content, prior to this signed version.

What I find a bit amazing, one day after the accident, brand new range rover delivered (like no other cars available on estate).

Bet the poor woman whose car was totaled has to wait  for the insurance claim to be settled and then have to pay an excess. Meanwhile they probably with out transport .

Bet Mrs Queen did not offer them a spare Bentley 

30 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

What I find a bit amazing, one day after the accident, brand new range rover delivered (like no other cars available on estate).

Bet the poor woman whose car was totaled has to wait  for the insurance claim to be settled and then have to pay an excess. Meanwhile they probably with out transport .

Bet Mrs Queen did not offer them a spare Bentley 

Any excess would be account of guilty party, so Philip. Also transport meantime account Philip.

You just lost 2 bets.

2 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Why should he apologize, none of the numerous other drivers each day having accidents has to go through this appalling charade.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

"noblesse oblige"

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Think the translation from the original French is being taken a bit too far in my opinion.....
Drama and dramatic reporting for another non newsworthy non event....

a little bit.. but nonetheless "act in accordance with your status" ( Hoc unum in nobilitate bonum, ut nobilibus imposita necessituda videatur ne a majorum virtute degenerent,)  

""noblesse oblige" referred to the unwritten obligation of people from a noble ancestry to act honorably and generously to others. Later, by extension, it also came to refer to the obligation of anyone who is in a better position than others - due, for example, to high office or celebrity - to act respectably and responsibly."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/noblesse oblige

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

a little bit.. but nonetheless "act in accordance with your status" ( Hoc unum in nobilitate bonum, ut nobilibus imposita necessituda videatur ne a majorum virtute degenerent,)  
""noblesse oblige" referred to the unwritten obligation of people from a noble ancestry to act honorably and generously to others. Later, by extension, it also came to refer to the obligation of anyone who is in a better position than others - due, for example, to high office or celebrity - to act respectably and responsibly."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/noblesse oblige
Outdated....

13 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Agreed, although I quite like the history and current charm that it gives England. Not to everyones liking.. (huge money maker though)

Nothing wrong with monarchy.... as you say, a great money-spinner for the UK  (although the anti's will claim it is a drain on resources).

You can't buy history.

As an Aussie desperately awaiting a Republic before I turn my toes up, may I say

that Phil the Greek is the only "royal pom" that I have any respect for.

He was always his own man and cared little for political correctness, despite offending the plebs but rarely the masses.

Overdid it on this occasion. I reckon he will be calling himself a silly old fart. Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt.

I doubt he will ever drive on main roads again. I do hope he has one last chariot race. lol

13 hours ago, pegman said:

Took him long enough.

The accident happened on January 17th and the letter was sent on the 21st.  Bearing in mind that his insurers would have recommended that he did not accept responsibility for the accident, which is their normal policy, and that he would have been advised to be very careful with the exact wording of the letter, I think the short delay was perfectly normal.  He would be well aware that every word that he wrote would be scrutinised and criticised by the media. and by many members of the public who are not supporters of the royal family.   How many ordinary citizens write to the people injured in a car accident, which they caused, to apologise?  They normally leave everything to their insurers, just as they are advised to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps the ol' demon alcohol played a role in the incident, but pity the copper who tries to perform a drunk test on the queen's hubby.

Would be nice if HRH bought new cars for the victims.  Not Range Rovers though, the insurance alone would be crippling.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Why should he apologize, none of the numerous other drivers each day having accidents has to go through this appalling charade.....

Because it is the decent thing to do when one causes injury and distress to others?

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

Perhaps the ol' demon alcohol played a role in the incident, but pity the copper who tries to perform a drunk test on the queen's hubby.

Would be nice if HRH bought new cars for the victims.  Not Range Rovers though, the insurance alone would be crippling.

Predictably, there was outrage amongst the more grovelling, servile subjects of our country at the outrageous behaviour of the policeman who had the temerity to subject this semi-deity to the indignity of having to take a breath test. I suspect that Brexit voters feature significantly in this demographic. 

5 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Predictably, there was outrage amongst the more grovelling, servile subjects of our country at the outrageous behaviour of the policeman who had the temerity to subject this semi-deity to the indignity of having to take a breath test. I suspect that Brexit voters feature significantly in this demographic. 

Well your the first person I’ve heared or read, who is outraged that the Duke was rightly breathalyzed. Could that be due to remoaners, being the only ones to be biased against their own country, while overlooking the actions of other prominent VIP’s.

9591A395-5EFB-4F9A-BECE-790162BB9690.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Surely you are not serious with your comment.

Anybody driving anywhere who has an accident should be asked to take a breath test, regardless of who they are.

The policeman who did the breath test did his job as he should have done, 100% correctly.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 12:55 AM, webfact said:

Prince Philip has written to a woman injured in a crash involving his Land Rover this month to say he was "deeply sorry".

Sounds like the same procedure as when Thais have done something wrong... 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Well your the first person I’ve heared or read, who is outraged that the Duke was rightly breathalyzed. Could that be due to remoaners, being the only ones to be biased against their own country, while overlooking the actions of other prominent VIP’s.

Me outraged at Phil the Greek being treated as a normal person? What have I been doing all these years on TV if you think that that could possibly be a position I held???

Screenshot_20190129-144902_Twitter.jpg