EU negotiator and Council chief tell Britain's May: No to renegotiation

webfact

4 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Recently, in an interview in Davos,

Varadkar said that Ireland is prepared to put up a hard border against, NI,

should UK  leave no-deal.

(I would not be surprised at all if after that he got Brussels on his neck

and was quite strictly told to keep mum.)

Barnier: time is too short to amend, deal is not open to renegotiations.

That the deal is not open to renegotiations, OK, a statement in line with the current EU policy.

To say that the time available for amending the deal is too short is just a lame excuse

supporting the EU's dislike for altering the deal.

The deal is a small and reasonably straight forward text, 500 pages is small.

In Brussels there is a large team of experienced Eurocrats intimately familiar with all aspects of this deal

In London likewise, civil servants who know this text in and out.

Together they have been dotting all the is and striking all the ts over the past few months.

1 month is more than ample time to alter this text.

Such is happening frequently in the UN system.

But it seems fairly clear that the political will to alter has now gone, if it ever was there.

You don't only need to alter a text, you need to make provisions to live by the text too. If there will be a hard border, they need people and infrastructure to sort this. That will take time, money and people.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

You have the opportunity to revert to essentially EEC2

Too blinded by ignorant hatred of the EU to understand that

I'm glad you enjoyed EuroDisney

At least your pal Vogie can present a rational argument.

OK answer these questions please.

You have admitted the EU isn't perfect on numerous occasions, so how will it reform as it refuses too?

The immigration policy of letting many and supposedly refugees from various countries has failed. How will they clean this mess up?

The EU and its refusal to publish/sign off its accounts. How can it been seen as a democratic, legitimate transparent organisation?

How can the EU project be seen to have worked when unemployment levels across Europe are so bad in some countries. How can those in Greece, Italy, Spain and France believe the EU and euro is good for them?

So you talk about a rational argument. I am putting one to you now.

What makes the EU so good?

This is worth a read in my opinion.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2018/03/08/the-eus-current-problems-are-largely-of-its-own-making/

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Thanks for the Geography lesson it wasn't needed.

Again not on my bucket list. Same as the one in Florida or Shanghai.

Anaheim was the original and best. The rest are just Micky Mouse.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Why? You hate the EU!

Read the Ops' submission, I would you like me to repeat it for you in block capitals?  But to save you time, please look up in the dictionary the words, BULLYING, DOMINANT and INFLEXIBLE.  Personally, I think this is a very suble attempt at a land grab on NI and EU, it will NOT work!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...In essence, May will use the implicit threat of a 'no-deal' Brexit to seek a deal from the other 27 members of the EU, whose combined economy is about six times the size of Britain's.

But the European response has been united, and blunt..."

Not a surprise. What possible reason would the EU have to start handing out benefits to the UK now?

Sadly, the UK wasted about two years doing little or nothing, and now is faced with the prospect of staying in the EU or leaving without a controlled exit. And, even knowing that both alternatives are bad, the UK is unable to choose and/or properly implement either one.

What a ClusterF**k.

My apologies to all my British friends, but you brought this on yourselves. My fondest wish is that the consequences of your actions aren't too grave and that you recover swiftly.

Ridiculous saying that British people have bought it on themselves quite frankly. 48% of those who voted didn't; nor did the % who didn't vote. The 52% of those who voted, in what was described as an "advisory referendum" clearly wanted to leave the EU but had no idea what that would actually mean or involve. Nor more pointedly did they envisage the complete mess and amateur way a bunch of self interested hypocritical inept morons would try to implement that decision.

The lack of ability, responsibility and total disregard of actual British parliamentary procedure demonstrated by the current government, the opposition and most MP's and Lords is staggering. But it's somewhat patronizing and off the mark to suggest that "the British people" brought this on themselves.

Sad but we see similar in many countries at the moment. Elected governments and politicians being exposed for what they currently are.

It's not Barnier's decision. He is instructed by the EU Commission under Juncker who should follow the instructions of the EU Council of Leaders and the EU Parliament.

It seems the reality is Merkel, Macron call most shots. 

Barnier is right to point out that after 2 years no one has come up with a better solution. If someone has a better idea then they should table it.

May is utterly useless, clueless and has no more idea than the man in the moon. Corbyn probably worse than May. Ireland quite rightly seek guarantees and reassurances. They know how inept all the negotiators are and know they will be bullied by the EU to do what the EU says. 

They are at an impasse which no one wants to admit. The EU want the money - whether Britain stays or not they don't really care, but don't want a no deal no money scenario. May and Corbyn are too self interested to admit the reality of the situation and either deal with it in parliament or put it too the people again. They'd sooner re-arrange the life boats on the deck of the Titanic than admit the ship's sinking and take action!

3 hours ago, vogie said:

What I have noticed is that yourself and Baerboxer, you seem to share the same thoughts of Parliamentary Democracy etc etc etc, but most importantly if anybody says anything derogative about the UK BB will defend it to the hilt. You seem to derive pleasure from insulting your country and your fellow countrymen..............but that is just an observation.????

I understand British Parliamentary Representative Democracy - and how it should work. Anyone interested  can join the UK Constitutional Law Association and read the expert debates on such. Especially on the attempts by the current government to undermine it and pretend things are different.

I do not intentionally insult people of any nationality as stereotyping is unfair, usually way off the mark and more reflective of bias than reality. Rather than insult my fellow countrymen and women, I insult the current crop of inept, self interested, hypocritical, untalented politicians that pack both Houses of Parliament and are not brave, clever, or honest enough to do the job they have sworn to do for which they are handsomely rewarded. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Have you agreed your schedule with the other 130+ countries yet? Maybe it’s just one of those minor operational details that can be neglected for the sake of the big idea. 

WTO, is no Dear Mama organisation, its trade

either you have your instruments in order or you don't trade.

UK hasn't her instruments in order.

we need @sandyf here, he is probably abridge with the latest

Edited by melvinmelvin
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Have you agreed your schedule with the other 130+ countries yet? Maybe it’s just one of those minor operational details that can be neglected for the sake of the big idea. 

You are not changing anything and it is an interim agreement. 2/3 majority agreement. So 110 needed. 

10 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

You are not changing anything and it is an interim agreement. 2/3 majority agreement. So 110 needed. 

Not changing anything? What does that mean? 

Either way, that didn’t answer my question. Has the schedule been agreed now? How many days left to WTO world?

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

43 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The 52% of those who voted, in what was described as an "advisory referendum" clearly wanted to leave the EU but had no idea what that would actually mean or involve

Take me off that percentage please as I certainly knew what that would mean and involve.

Come on everyone knew from David Cameron (PM and leader of remain) that the result of the referendum would be delivered and acted upon regardless of the result.

47 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The lack of ability, responsibility and total disregard of actual British parliamentary procedure demonstrated by the current government, the opposition and most MP's and Lords is staggering. But it's somewhat patronizing and off the mark to suggest that "the British people" brought this on themselves.

Totally Agree.

48 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Sad but we see similar in many countries at the moment. Elected governments and politicians being exposed for what they currently are.

I believe that you will see more and more of this especially in Europe. Those in power tend to call it populism. I call it realism where people have realised how they have been played.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

OK answer these questions please.

You have admitted the EU isn't perfect on numerous occasions, so how will it reform as it refuses too?

The immigration policy of letting many and supposedly refugees from various countries has failed. How will they clean this mess up?

The EU and its refusal to publish/sign off its accounts. How can it been seen as a democratic, legitimate transparent organisation?

How can the EU project be seen to have worked when unemployment levels across Europe are so bad in some countries. How can those in Greece, Italy, Spain and France believe the EU and euro is good for them?

So you talk about a rational argument. I am putting one to you now.

What makes the EU so good?

This is worth a read in my opinion.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2018/03/08/the-eus-current-problems-are-largely-of-its-own-making/

Good article!

I am working in Malaysia today

Will respond when I've finished later this afternoon

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Take me off that percentage please as I certainly knew what that would mean and involve.

Come on everyone knew from David Cameron (PM and leader of remain) that the result of the referendum would be delivered and acted upon regardless of the result.

Totally Agree.

I believe that you will see more and more of this especially in Europe. Those in power tend to call it populism. I call it realism where people have realised how they have been played.

'Take me off that percentage please as I certainly knew what that would mean and involve."

Seriously? You really knew how badly the the Tories, Labor and fringe parties would cock it all up? How May would try to subvert parliamentary procedure and then call an election and get thumped, how the communist Corbyn would try to get power for himself rather than do what's right for the country etc etc.

Do you do lottery numbers too? 

Agree with your other points

• Like 1