Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

45 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If that had been the system all along, many would not have bought condos, and put the money in the bank, instead.

The worst part of this is that there is no grandfathering - embassy-letters go away …//

No they didn't go away, and how could it be any grandfathering?

Thai Immigration cannot force UK & US embassies to provide Income Letters. :sad:

• Like 1

You are wrong up until recently i could not put 800K in a thai bank account but i do have a 4m house here and had a house and flat in the Uk lucky for me i have sold the house in the Uk.
Also why is it a problem for some people that not everyone had a lot of money, some people just want a better life here than they would have in there home country, they are still contributing to the Thai economy, 
I never said everyone. I said most
My comment was in reply ONLY to the nonsense post of the real estate sector and the thai economy

13 minutes ago, madmen said:

Tired of what? Just put your 800k in a bank. Not rocket science.

The pensioners with no cash will leave. It won't collapse the real estate sector or effect the economy one.single.. Bit

So where does my spend of 50K or 60K go if not into the economy, and I,m sure you know the multiplier of 1 dollar spent theory?

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:35 PM, madmitch said:

And I thought the 800,000 baht was for living expenses, not as an interest earner for the Thai banks!

That is quite funny you mention that since the money can not be touched for anything for 3 months and when you do it has to be maintained so It's nothing more than about MONEY and Interests for the banks same goes with marriage in any country these ideas are all MONEY makers and it is big business for many involved. There is nothing more to any of the laws cause it only ways to generate funds for thai government or governments not for living as I could live on far less as cost of living for me would not be a problem. Living now a days is all about money and if the person does not have it then that person or persons is s.o.l. no matter where you are at in the world.....

15 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Some reasonably good news. Just did a £100 transfer from First Direct to my Bkk Bank Savings. Arrived four hours later at Bkk Banks TT rate and the statement said International Transfer. 

Will do the same via T'wise now.

A question of you please Mr Danson....................

I get a part pension paid from the UK into my account here, however it comes through the Bangkok bank branch in London (don't know if it's really a branch or more a service?). The pension service pay it into this account and it ends up in my bank account here, the only problem being it doesn't say anything about being an international transfer!

Whereas my part pension from NZ, paid directly into Bangkok bank here, does state that it's an international transfer.

I don't have a UK bank account now and haven't had for many years; so my question to you is after reading through these posts, much as I have done over the past 24 hours and still only got to page 83, have you come across any information which specifically says that the bank statement here has to show it as an international transfer, or is it okay just to show money into the account?

Another question for you (hope you don't mind) or others, is whether or not the pension service will pay directly into my account here and if so, what are the charges – – or indeed are there any other avenues, as I think you mentioned something called Transfer Wise, however I am not au fait with this service.

Thanking you in anticipation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

get a part pension paid from the UK into my account here, however it comes through the Bangkok bank branch in London (don't know if it's really a branch or more a service?). The pension service pay it into this account and it ends up in my bank account here, the only problem being it doesn't say anything about being an international transfer!

Maybe because it's being sent from BKK Bank so it's considered an internal transfer, even though it's going from the UK to Thailand.

• Like 2

Hi xylo. I don't really know as I get my UK State Pension paid into my UK account (Shhhhh). So I can transfer from First Direct or via Transferwise, both giving roughly the same rate eventually. Those transfers come into my Bkk Bank as International Transfers. I know some people have had them come in and not stated as such, but in my experience, they do. Immigration regulations say that the 65k monthly, or other regular deposits must originate abroad. I would hope that if you had a deposit from abroad which did not say International or the code FFT, but you could show your friendly IO a statement from your UK bank that the exact amout was debited from that account one day previous to an amount arriving in your Thai bank, they would accept it. I would hope, I said. 

As far as I know the UK State Pension can be paid into a Thai account but the question is whether it would be converted into Bht in UK (bad) or here (better).

Google Transferwise Borderless Account. You could get your pension paid into something like that and transfer into Bht as and when the exchange rate is better. Or transfer to a Foreign Currency Account here and do the same as and when you want/need some Bht.

Hope this is some help. I am sure I will get told if it is not !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Olmate said:

So where does my spend of 50K or 60K go if not into the economy, and I,m sure you know the multiplier of 1 dollar spent theory?

Yes, but minimal.

You do not even qualify if retired to stay here legally on that amount.

So, technically now, they do not want someone with that minimal income living here.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Again it won't crash the economy. Emphasis on crash. It won't crash the real estate sector. Condo ownership of those forced out through lack of funds will be minimal

I'm not judging anyone or putting down those without funds, I've mentioned plenty times those with families should find any way they can to stay here even if it's loop holes . I'm just stating facts.

Im replying the poster jack Thompson who keeps droning on about his cheap 8k condo in jomtien is a direct result of a mass exodus

Poor guy doesn't realise 8 to 10k condos are a EVERYWHERE in jomtien even high floor .. Too funny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My visit to Huahin Immigration yesterday CONFIRMED, after conversations with 2 senior Officers,

that ,absolutely NOTHING has changed with regard to visa extensions based on Retirement.

Indeed, they gave me a printed 

leaflet headed ,Retirement Visa.

Regulation & Required Documents.

This leaflet which is available to 

everyone absolutely confirms that the 

current requirements have not 

changed!!!

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I get a part pension paid from the UK into my account here, however it comes through the Bangkok bank branch in London (don't know if it's really a branch or more a service?). The pension service pay it into this account and it ends up in my bank account here, the only problem being it doesn't say anything about being an international transfer!

It should be coded as FTT. (Foreign Telex Transfer)

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Another question for you (hope you don't mind) or others, is whether or not the pension service will pay directly into my account here and if so, what are the charges – – or indeed are there any other avenues, as I think you mentioned something called Transfer Wise, however I am not au fait with this service.

Yes they will.

There are no charges. 

Again with BKK it will be coded as FTT.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, peterg40 said:

Indeed, they gave me a printed leaflet headed ,Retirement Visa. Regulation & Required Documents.

This leaflet which is available to everyone absolutely confirms that the current requirements have not changed!!!

What is the date on this leaflet?

Don't you have a way to post it here ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I know they are available everywhere.  That's My Point Exactly.  And, that they were not available at this price a few years ago, before immigration's "crackdowns" on Western Tourists began - now being extended to long-stay folks. 

I feel sorry for those who bought condos, and now cannot get anywhere close to their money back by selling, cannot earn a decent ROI renting them (if they can even find a renter), and are simultaneously being squeezed by immigration.

He has a point - historically,  I noticed in my condo (BKK CBD) that just as they tightened up visas AirBnB became a thing and took up the slack.

Edited by mokwit

I know they are available everywhere.  That's My Point Exactly.  And, that they were not available at this price a few years ago, before immigration's "crackdowns" on Western Tourists began - now being extended to long-stay folks. 

I feel sorry for those who bought condos, and now cannot get anywhere close to their money back by selling, cannot earn a decent ROI renting them (if they can even find a renter), and are simultaneously being squeezed by immigration.

Your dreaming. 8 to 10k studios on view talay building have been available for the last decade! They have never been 15k like you mentioned in a previous post

Your deal is normal for jomtien because nothing happens there. It's dead after high season dude lol

It's kind of sweet how naive you are

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't blame immigration offices for failures to integrate these new orders so soon. The changes are both radical and very confusing as to how to actually enforce them. Most extremely for income method applications for those without embassy letters. It's pretty shocking what a mess this is. I've been following these changes for over a decade and this recent stuff takes the cake. Prospective retired expats should be warned about what they're getting themselves into! Older people shouldn't be expected to have to deal with such constant chaos and uncertainty as they age abroad. It's become impossible to even have confidence in preparing for your NEXT extension, much less subsequent years.

Basically at one time they wanted retirees as evidenced by inclusion in 1979 act and then later lowering age to 50. Now it seems they are not so keen..............................

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Basically at one time they wanted retirees as evidenced by inclusion in 1979 act and then later lowering age to 50. Now it seems they are not so keen..............................

I think you were replying to the wrong post.

18 minutes ago, madmen said:

Again it won't crash the economy. Emphasis on crash. It won't crash the real estate sector. Condo ownership of those forced out through lack of funds will be minimal

I'm not judging anyone or putting down those without funds, I've mentioned plenty times those with families should find any way they can to stay here even if it's loop holes . I'm just stating facts.

Im replying the poster jack Thompson who keeps droning on about his cheap 8k condo in jomtien is a direct result of a mass exodus

Poor guy doesn't realise 8 to 10k condos are a EVERYWHERE in jomtien even high floor .. Too funny

You can get a nice 4 bedroom house for 10k in Chiang Mai overlooking Mountain scenery !

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:18 PM, DrTuner said:

Let me guess, they want to copy the 30 day "waiting period" to get the final stamp from the marriage extensions next. After that add photos of yourself next to your bed, etc. Enjoy the "easy retirement extensions", soon as painful as the marriage extensions.

Plus, as the fund requirement for retirement is twice that for marriage: a photo of each h****r you spent the extra 400,000 baht for... ????

Edited by StayinThailand2much

24 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, but minimal.

You do not even qualify if retired to stay here legally on that amount.

So, technically now, they do not want someone with that minimal income living here.

I said spend not income and yes I am legally here, technically too!

23 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

our spending pushes up the middle-class, which some elites see as a "problem," to the future of more-profitable wage-slavery.

But it's not just an economic problem, it's a social one, and the backlash comes not only from elites.  Thais are extremely status conscious and believe in maintaining a social hierarchy. Nothing upsets a hard-working middle class Thai more than the sight of someone they view as "socially inferior" being showered with wealth. They see it as deeply unfair. And envy is no small force in Thai society.

• Like 2