services per km

Nah no one told me once a month but lets face it, it's 120THB, they change the oil, tighten the brakes, pump up the tyres and off I go. It's just so cheap and convenient that I don't really mind. I bought the bike when it had done 6k and now up to 16k so wondering if it needed new air filter or not or anything else doing to it, at 20k do you change the belt or wait longer?

16 hours ago, papa al said:

16K on an air filter seems a lot.

If you belt is bad you will know it.

How...!? 

I had a rented Yamaha Mio that broke belt at 80km/h, fortunately it didn't jam or anything but I didn't feel anything wrong immediately before or days before it went... 

I was on an empty highway going full throttle,  then I saw a car upfront,  let go of throttle completely for a a few seconds,  then noticed the car is actually going really fast,  so I got piece of mind,  turn to full throttle again, okay,  maybe a bit to fast, and then I heard it snapped.... 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:33 AM, jackdd said:

Oil change should be at intervals of maybe 10,000 or 12,000km

Far, far too long.

I service a bunch of air cooled scooters/mopeds, and have done some for over 80k kms,  and i like to change the oil at 3k, especially Waves that run 0.7 litres of oil which has to lubricate a 4 speed gearbox as well.

It's not like we are dumping and replacing 3-4 litres of top notch brand oil here.

ShIt, 0.7 litres of straight 30 Honda oil is 80 Baht...

• Like 2

On our scooters we never changed belts. As mentioned you can hear when it time and I can't hear anything sooo.

Air-filters block up quickly here in LOS, you can get the mechanic to blow them out (from the inside!) with comp air but still consider changing them every 2nd year. I can always fell that the scoot got a vee bit more power when a new air-filter is fitted. 

Yes tire pressure is important for safety and tire life, my wife destroyed one rear tire on my pcx because she ran it with very low pressure when I was overseas working and the wires in the tire got out of shape. I was not a happy camper when I got home and found out my new expensive rear tire was xxxxxx.

One time I screwed myself up when I got the battery on the pcx changed, it was a very old one they fitted and it broke down 8 month later and I looked at the manufacturer date, +5 years old. Now I always check the manufacturing date before they fit it, which is also important on tires.

Oil change is per manual or once per year as mentioned.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Do you , and why , prefer the straight 30 over a 10/30 or 10/40 multigrade. Or is it just a wave thing.

Yes.

Waves et al have an all bearing bottom end, mains and b/end.

As do all Brit singles (and most other singles - except the Honda CRF250L - funny that - innit), and HD etc.

I was brought up, taught, & learned that a straight weight is better in this type of design.

Once an engine starts using shell brgs for b/ends, then, generally, but not always,  a multigrade is better.

Although i have often run Brit parallel twins on a straight 40w in the summer and straight 30w in the winter.

Honda sells the straight 30w for a reason.

The Autos are a completely different ballgame, as they don't run a gearbox, and i generally stick the manufacturers recommended oil in, ie Yamalube Auto for Finos etc. Which i believe is a multigrade.

• Like 2

I had my Yamaha serviced at a Yamaha centre in Chiang Mai. They told me it needed servicing every 1000 km. I asked them why the owner's manual recommended servicing every 4000 km. Showed them the manual. Embarrassed silence.

The trend here with cars and scooters/motorbikes seems to be service mechanics will try it on if they think you don't know.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:33 AM, jackdd said:

The service intervals are in your owners manual.

Oil change should be at intervals of maybe 10,000 or 12,000km

My pcx burns a lot of oil. 100 km's a day for 5 days a week. After 2 months, almost empty.

Exhaust is clean and 23000 on the clock. No leaks any where or I would notice it on the concrete where it is parked.

Y is it burning so much guys?

38 minutes ago, thequietman said:

My pcx burns a lot of oil. 100 km's a day for 5 days a week. After 2 months, almost empty.

Exhaust is clean and 23000 on the clock. No leaks any where or I would notice it on the concrete where it is parked.

Y is it burning so much guys?

"almost empty"

Running low oil is bad

things get too hot

deposits form on ring/piston 

causing poor seal, more blow-by

more heat 

insidious downward spiral.

[been there, never again]

Prolly can get ring/piston/bore job for < $100.

This will help.

https://www.shell.co.th/en_th/motorists/oils-lubricants/advance-for-motorcycles/advance-4-stroke-motorcycle-oil/shell-advance-ultra.html

Edited by papa al

1 hour ago, papa al said:

"almost empty"

Running low oil is bad

things get too hot

deposits form on ring/piston 

causing poor seal, more blow-by

more heat 

insidious downward spiral.

[been there, never again]

Prolly can get ring/piston/bore job for < $100.

This will help.

https://www.shell.co.th/en_th/motorists/oils-lubricants/advance-for-motorcycles/advance-4-stroke-motorcycle-oil/shell-advance-ultra.html

Oops.

You are in Dubai.