The Real Problem With Keeping 800K In Thai Bank

Also never lost money from my Thai bank accounts after +15 years here.

When buying a house I had a lot of money on my account, not too worried about it.

Using my ATM cards a bit carefully, one Visa card linked to on-line purchasing only have very limited funds at all times.

When drawing out money from an ATM machine, I try to use the ones at the banks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unless you are a citizen of a country that still issues income certificates, under the new rules for the income method, you have to transfer the money monthly into a Thai bank.

The majority of retirees here are from the 4 countries that no longer give letters. How then do foreign deposits go down?

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I have a large amount on deposit now in Thai banks. 

I also have a direct deposit account for my pension. 

I had used the 800,000 method but I don't want to come back to immigration if I get a conditional visa extension. 

So, I'll remove the large cash accounts to another country that pays better interest and leave the direct deposit account that receives my pension which is considerably over 65 per month. 

Others will do the same thing and Thailand will be the net loser in deposits. 

It is my understanding of the new law that I will get a letter from the bank and my passbook that will prove monthly deposits from Social Security. 

Edited by marcusarelus

No reason to think conditional extensions will be given nor a return visit required. They may simply verify compliance at the following year's extension, same as they already do on the 90 day reports.

But this has really not been made clear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You have heard many stories?

Got any more besides the article you read where in fact the money was returned?

Over many years, with different banks, I have never personally had a problem like that described. At least now, I think such issues are rare. However, about 10-15 years ago (I cannot remember exactly) a good friend of mine had over 200,000 baht filched from his account by ATM skimmers. It took a great deal of determination on my friend's part to get the bank to accept responsibility. It was almost two years until the money was returned to his account.

34 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Cambodia, Philippines, Ecuador, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, and Chile are reasonably priced. You can get citizenship in Peru in 2 years. Ecuador gives you 7% - 8% on the money you put in their banks for an investment / business visa. There are options, you just have to research. TONS of groups on Facebook for all of their countries full of helpful expats. 

Indonesia offers a 25 Year Visa for those that marry a local girl.

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unless you are a citizen of a country that still issues income certificates, under the new rules for the income method

I plan to continue with income certificate (I'm from one of the countries still issue them) and will in addition update bankbook monthly to show that I actually transfer money here...........but but......I think I already can hear the IO when going for extension .......this.. no good, no have money in Bank no extension.......discretion

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

yes, I have no complaints with Thai banks other than the currently low interest rates.

I'm starting to have some serious complaints with immigration though..... ????

There are low interest rates everywhere these days Sheryl. The only place I found more reasonable rates were in longer term CDs but even those were low by historical standards. I remember back in the early 80's and I was working my way thru college with both a full-time and part-time job. I couldn't understand why people got student loans and went into debt when they could work while attending college (still don't). I was eligible for a student loan so I got a small one ($5k) and promptly deposited it into a CD where the interest rate at that time was just over 18%. The first one worked out so well I got another student loan the next year and did the same thing with it. In 4 years they both had doubled in value so I paid off the loans and had $10k in my pocket fresh out of college with no debts. If only "decent" interests rates would return. However, the low low inflation we've had for many years pretty much offsets that. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ravip said:

Does a Fixed Deposit account of 800K qualify for the visa?

Is it not compulsory that it should be a savings account?

This is another area that demonstrates the ineptitude of Thai immigration.

The correct answer is sometimes.

Every office has a different take on this.

Some accept a FD, some don't.

And the clarity on issues such this has never been improved.  

And now the waters are even muddier with this new police order.

Immigration loves grey areas and uncertainty.

It creates financial opportunity.

• Like 1

Just now, Khaeng Mak said:

This is another area that demonstrates the ineptitude of Thai immigration.

The correct answer is sometimes.

Every office has a different take on this.

Some accept a FD, some don't.

And the clarity on issues such this has never been improved.  

And now the waters are even muddier with this new police order.

Immigration loves grey areas and uncertainty.

It creates financial opportunity.

I have never heard of an office that did not take fixed accounts.  If you have link it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ravip said:

Does a Fixed Deposit account of 800K qualify for the visa?

Is it not compulsory that it should be a savings account?

fixed deposit

savings

both go, as far as I understand

I have used fixed deposit for years, have now changed to savings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gentlemanjackdarby said:

And on the website for the Vietnam embassy in Washington, D.C., it is made quite clear that although the visa is for one-year multi-entry, it is up to the discretion of the immigration officer at one's arrival just how long one may stay on a particular entry, but the maximum is 3 months. It isn't specifically stated, but it's likely that, just as in other countries, although one has a valid multi-entry visa, an immigration officer may deny entry to whomever he sees fit.

Something to think twice about before trying to become a perpetual tourist in Vietnam.

I met loads of guys there in April last year, they weren't having any problems getting VISA's at all.

Maybe you should visit there, and not just read posts on forums.

They all used agents, so 'denial' is just a river in Africa.

Edited by BritManToo

3 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

if you're worried, set up three accounts:   a fixed account for your immigration seasoning that earns more interest.  a savings account for the bulk of your savings that you swift money into and has no atm card.  and a second savings account with atm card for your daily expenses that you can recharge from your bulk account online.

AND how exactly will i explain all this to the thai banker? last time

i talekd with them about getting new card the girl working there said, maybe to her collegue:

PAI LEO LEO  - go quick quick

• Confused 1

There have been SOME past posts here on the forum of members with fixed deposit accounts a] having a certain bank tell them they won't do a passbook update without some activity in the account, and b] the type of fixed account not allowing any deposits or withdrawals during its term.

There also have been some past posts by members who ended up with apparently what are called by some banks time deposit accounts, where the money is seriously locked up for the duration of the account (no option to withdraw penalty or no penalty), and those have been refused by Immigration.

I have a fixed deposit account with CIMB, and I'm pretty sure they've told me in the past that they couldn't/wouldn't update my passbook merely upon my request (such as if I was heading to Immigration that day), and that their system and machines only would update it with activity.

One example:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cambodia, you only need $300 for a 1 year retirement VISA, if over 55.

Philippines, you only need the extension fees for up to 3 years, any age.

Vietnam, you just need the extension fees.

What are the fees for Vietnam please. Initial plus extensions and what limit to extensions?

Cheers

Never an issue with money disappearing from an account...  But I have also read that it's happened - a corrupt bank employee... but that's incredibly rare. 

More common is ATM skimming.... which, could happen to any of us.  To ensure I am protected against this I have two accounts...

- One 'main account' with a larger amount in it (ATM card is kept in the safe)

- Two 'user account' in which I keep a smaller amount (ATM card in my wallet) and top it up with my phone banking App as and when required.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I met loads of guys there in April last year, they weren't having any problems getting VISA's at all.

Maybe you should visit there, and not just read posts on forums.

They all used agents, so 'denial' is just a river in Africa.

Well, I'm not sure where you mean by 'there' since you didn't state it.

Nowhere in my OP did I say anything about anyone having problems getting a visa, either to the PI or Vietnam

Keep in mind RIF - READING IS FUNDAMENTAL!

Since most folks who go to the PI enter on a visa waiver and don't get SRRVs (an SRRV is a real visa), I have no choice by to assume you meant Vietnam

And I did not read WORD ONE about Vietnam visas on a forum nor did I say that I did in my OP.

As for what I wrote about Vietnam, I read THAT on the official website for the Vietnam Embassy in Washington, D.C. which is pretty close to the horse's mouth.

And I don't share your disdain for forums - I will admit that there are a lot half-baked and crackpot postings on all the forums, but most adults know enough not to believe everything they read and to perform their own due diligence before jumping. I'm also not so arrogant and self-assured to believe that I know so much that someone else's experience or opinion is of no value to me.

In the past, on this very forum, there were a lot of people posting about the eventual and inevitable crackdown on perpetual tourists, those abusing education visas, increased scrutiny on marriage visas, and finally those using 'liar's letters' and other methods to strengthen their financial bona-fides to meet retirement extension standards. And lo and behold, all of those things have come to pass and look at the situation in which some folks find themselves.

Glad I had sense enough to pay attention and act on what I've read on forums. 

• Like 1