Are The New Retirement Extension Rules A Breach Of Human Rights?

Khaeng Mak

On 2/5/2019 at 3:57 PM, Kwasaki said:

Not in Thailand.

....not in Thailand or any other country : every country sets the rules to enter into and to stay on its territory...it is up to the visitors to come or to stay away

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The argument holds no water if retirees used the money for expenses they had to top up every year 3 months before renewal. The money they would have used for top up will now be used for living expenses, boys get over it or get out easy decision

2 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

How many of those countries change the rules significantly with only one month's notice and no formal dissemination of the details.

Who knows and care I only live in Thailand not Cambodia, philippines or where ever

48 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

....not in Thailand or any other country : every country sets the rules to enter into and to stay on its territory...it is up to the visitors to come or to stay away

yes Fvw53 m=but most country are have fair law and do not change every time the wind blow. who a** are you trying to kiss up to fvw53?

On 2/5/2019 at 4:59 PM, digbeth said:

As part of international human rights, you have a right to belong to a country, Thailand hasn't taken away your right to naturalize and become a Thai Citizen, this new extension rules does not take away any of your rights such as the right to a nationality and right to Move as you want within your own country or leave and return to your own country 

They've only taken away your right to be poor. Rich expats will be completely unaffected.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Living in Thailand you have Many rights that have been granted to you by your life and the countries that you hvelived in

You have the right to live

You have the right to live in Thailand if you agree and meet their requirements for a stay.

you have the right to be a British, American, Canadian etc citizen living abroad.

You have the right to drink 

You have the right to live

You have the right to enjoy Thailand and its lovely street scenery

You have the right to enjoy Thailands historical sites and natural scenery ( not the same as scenery)

MORE IMPORTANTLY

YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO GET THE HELL OUT IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT.

No matter what you do or live you hve these god given rights evenin themilitary

1. Do what you are told?

2. Ask why then do it

3. Say NO Quit and go somewhere else  (well in the military it is more go to jail LOL)

You don't have the right to buy alcohol between 2pm and 5pm (whoever came up with this ridiculous law?) or between 12 midnight and 11am. Of course, this law applies to all, foreigners and Thais alike.

If alcohol trading hours are so restricted, why is alcohol allowed to be sold everywhere? Doesn't make any sense. Why not open Australian style "bottle shops" with a cash register dedicated only to selling alcohol, rather than selling it in amongst all the other groceries like is currently the case? Why is alcohol being sold at 7-11, including at petrol/gas stations all around the country? Doesn't make an iota of sense.

Restrict where alcohol can be sold and then allow it to be sold 24/7 as is the case in nearly every other country on Earth. Problem solved. Not that I find drinking very important - these rules don't affect me much but they do affect many expats and tourists alike.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/5/2019 at 6:38 PM, NCC1701A said:

it is what most expats do with bar girls. :clap2:

AND why most (read ALL) were ever here in the first place. Whether they admit it is another story!

Oh boy...let's get ready to vrumble! :vampire:

16 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

For heaven's sake, enough of this. Just  put 800k in the bank, or move on. Thailand's immigration policy is no worse than most countries, and a lot better than many.

We don't live in other other countries. :coffee1:

On 2/5/2019 at 4:59 PM, worgeordie said:

His next post will be  (in capitals of course)

LET'S ALL GO ON HUNGER STRIKE TO GET THE NEW REGULATIONS REPEALED !

regards Worgeordie

A beer strike would be more poignant and also affect the local economy. 

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2019 at 11:27 AM, possum1931 said:

Another member of the "if you don't like it, go home" brigade.

Exactly....maybe not home but somewhere where you can provide what the authorities want in order to live, because there's no other choice. I don't know many countries that relax their rules because people can't provide what they ask for.

7 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Exactly....maybe not home but somewhere where you can provide what the authorities want in order to live, because there's no other choice. I don't know many countries that relax their rules because people can't provide what they ask for.

Your last sentence, I don't understand it, are you saying that Thailand relaxes it's rules when people can't provide what they ask for? I would say it is the opposite, I have never known Thailand to relax any rules anytime I have been here, they just keep giving us more hoops to jump through mainly out of sheer badness.

People like that moronic British guy who was caught with a lot of overstay illegally doesn't help.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Thailand relaxes it's rules when people can't provide what they ask for?

Some kind off.

4 embassies made a decision which had a very negative impact for many of  their citizens.

Thai Immigration " came to the rescue " with a new special rule for them.

A 100% accurate one ?, certainly not,

but one "a la carte" to please everyone in particular is impossible.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Your last sentence, I don't understand it, are you saying that Thailand relaxes it's rules when people can't provide what they ask for? I would say it is the opposite, I have never known Thailand to relax any rules anytime I have been here, they just keep giving us more hoops to jump through mainly out of sheer badness.

People like that moronic British guy who was caught with a lot of overstay illegally doesn't help.

The last sentence was for the people that don't realize they have two choices, give the Thai authorities what they want or go somewhere else if you can't. Some people act like Thailand immigration shouldn't be doing what they're doing, and maybe relax the rules to suit the foreigner........which isn't going to happen in this country and in most other countries as well. And yes, I agree with you, more hoops all the time. And yes, also all the foreigners overstaying, committing crimes, and trying to "get around the rules", aren't helping those of us trying to live here full time.

7 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

The last sentence was for the people that don't realize they have two choices, give the Thai authorities what they want or go somewhere else if you can't. Some people act like Thailand immigration shouldn't be doing what they're doing, and maybe relax the rules to suit the foreigner........which isn't going to happen in this country and in most other countries as well. And yes, I agree with you, more hoops all the time. And yes, also all the foreigners overstaying, committing crimes, and trying to "get around the rules", aren't helping those of us trying to live here full time.

Your first sentence. Like I have said before, a lot of retirees came to retire in Thailand, marry Thai girls, buy houses, take Thai families out of poverty, the vast majority of them are decent people who came here to live out the rest of their lives.

Then around 12 years ago, things started to change drastically which forced some of them to use agents to get their retirement visas "illegally" as they could not afford the money in the bank. Previously, they went to the border every 90 days to get their passports stamped.

Now they are being treated like criminals with having to report every 90 days. I have already asked in another thread what other countries treat their retirees like this. No one answered. Do you really blame people who try to "get around the rules" as you say?

May I point out that I do have enough money to put in the bank as the Thai government want us to do, but I prefer to keep the vast majority of it in my UK bank.