New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're our GOD!!!  Everyone here wants to be you!!!  If we only could....  :cheesy:

What do you contribute to Thailand that would make them want you?  Or can you only flame and post negative comments?  Hardly what a country is looking for eh?

8 hours ago, dontoearth said:

The fact the deposit is not guaranteed and there are not any assurances of what would happen to the deposit when you die makes this high risk banking.  I am not interested.  I have told most thai friends at best I will come for a less than 30 day visa exempt holiday to get around and have dinners and visit.  I am not going to stay the winters anymore and not going to live here the 9 to 10 months of the year as i did for quite a few  years. 

If you really lived here you would know that the amount in the bank is guaranteed and it is easy to make a will for your bank deposits when you die.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I think their complaint is that it's no longer just 800k in the bank. It's 800k that you can't access all year. Which in my view is a very reasonable complaint. Because the money belongs to the owner, and should be able to be used for whatever the owner wants or needs. Isn't that that the point of having to show money in the bank? 

Also, Many people get annual payments (instead of monthly) that could be used to top up accounts.

400K all year.  800k 5 months.

If the US and other governments simply decline wealthy Thais their 10 year tourist visas and curtail shopping sprees or their kids going to university or buying property all of these extreme measures by the Thai government would end in a heart beat.

A B-2 Tourist Visa issued by the US Embassy Thailand may allow the Thai citizen to travel back and forth to the United States for up to 10 years. ... The US Tourist Visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows a Thai citizen to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1) or as a tourist or visitor (B-2).

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If you really lived here you would know that the amount in the bank is guaranteed and it is easy to make a will for your bank deposits when you die.

If you lived here, you would know, that making a will,  and then the person receiving the wishes of that will,  is not an easy,  straight forward process

or a short, cheap process. :coffee1:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

Sad story, but nowhere in that article does it state that the government suddenly changed the regulations that had previously allowed him to stay. He didn't qualify, for whatever reason, at the time of his application and was denied.

Not sure how this has anything to do with the new Thai requirements that have drastically changed over night and now require some people to lock up 400,000 Baht for the entire year.

20 hours ago, madmen said:

His health insurance would have been $ 1 million
Best thing for the old boy was to head home

Health Insurance will probably be 'the straw that breaks the camel's back' for many expats, unless agents can find even bigger brown envelopes.

I'm 73 yrs old and have never been more than an out-patient in the last 65yrs. My Medical Insurance is due to increase to 100K pa when I reach 75 yrs and that's excluding out-patient cover!

IMHO the OP will be joined by many more expats, unless the Thai authorities offer some form of state financed basic cover. IMHO this form of cover should already be available to expats legitimately married to a Thai spouse!

23 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Without more details, this article is just worthless :sad:

Everyone on Retirement Extension today was supposed to already have 65k/monthly or 800k in bank,

so why exactly can't he stay anymore after these rather small changes in rules ? 

Perhaps due to the mandatory medical insurance which people over 70 cannot buy!

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Apparently some racist contributions think its all made acceptable by adding a string of smileys at the end.

Apparently, some people are too thick to know worldwide news and humour!! ????????????????????????????????????????????

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Benroon said:

Or they would just direct you to the TV survey that said for 70% of people it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. 

Noooo! This is Thailand. Reports say that 88.6576% of statistics are made up on the spot!! 5555

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If from the UK and he does not have a pension would he then get any benefits? 

Of course not.  Why would he get UK benefits when not even resident in the country?

AND his pension will be frozen to the amount it was when he first left the UK.  No annual increments once you have left there.

You're on the basic level and that's it, if you live 2 years past retirement or 20 years.  

16 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

Perhaps due to the mandatory medical insurance which people over 70 cannot buy!

Or maybe he actually believed someone making up rubbish about mandatory insurance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Comments reveal that many feel they are no longer welcome in "The Land of Smiles".

The smiles have been long gone except from people that have something to sell you and the hotel hospitality sector. Since this unelected government took the reins it renewed an old effort to drive a wedge between Thai and foreigners first by presenting all most daily stories of foreigners scams (against Thai women and the general Thai public) , illegally owning land, sex tourists, foreigners circumventing the immigration rules by border runs to work in Thailand (teachers) foreigners killing Thai women and stealing from Thai and finally the SOBs that overstay their visas. Then the dog whistle to Thais to be suspicious of these pesty foreigners and report them and with state controlled media in hand they accomplished their objective and got a bonus of even getting foreigners to chastise and report other foreigners. Oh! I can still hear the fading calls of praise for this government and the Biggest joke on ass kissing foriegners..... Big Joke.

Farang: "They (Thai economy need us. Thailand will die without the Farang side of donations to prostitution" Enter stage right... The Chinese. 

The Elite Thai "Give us back our Thai women and leave your kids behind and get out Farang! You were only our guests but now you've overstayed your WELCOME!!

"Because of a few many will suffer"

Come on, get down and have one more coffee,  its only 9 o'clock in the morning. 

we got all day for that.  :giggle:

soap box.jpg

If they have survived here on illegally obtained visas, I am happy they got away with it for so long, but now Immigration are starting to enforce the laws it was only to be expected they would  pick the easiest targets.

Pity the other laws are still not being rigorously applied - ;like traffic, murder and rape.

• Like 1