Thai Court Orders Bahraini footballer Hakeem To Be Freed Today

webfact

15 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

I didn't actually say he was a criminal but was pointing out the fact anyone coming from these countries can commit a crime in their country and run to a safe country and claim asylum.

Anyone can claim asylum but you can be assured that especially in Australia with its record of hostility to asylum seekers (Nauru and Manus detention centres, anyone?) their claims are thoroughly examined and refugee status is not just granted willy-nilly.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Why would he be on any red list, he has refugee status that over-ride a red notice - but don’t let that small point interfere with your flawed analysis of the story. 

It's been reported that he was on the Bahrain list.maybe the two authorities don't communicate.if he wasn't on the list then thai immo must of made it up.i don't know about my flawed analysis but there are plenty of flaws in the whole reports we have been fed.....so now what's your analysis of the red notice.was he on the red list or wasn't he.did thai immo make it up he was on the list? My betting is he was on the list and when he was arrested started waving his papers around claiming refugee status but the hard lined immo who have proved themselves to be out of their depth when dealing with international refugees as in the case last week with the Arab girl going to Canada.

1 hour ago, somo said:

If they only followed basic common sense and the rule of law then both cases need not have caused them such international ridicule.

Yes you are so right. Maybe could even substitute "had" for "followed".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Anyone can claim asylum but you can be assured that especially in Australia with its record of hostility to asylum seekers (Nauru and Manus detention centres, anyone?) their claims are thoroughly examined and refugee status is not just granted willy-nilly.

So the Australian authorities must of gone to Bahrain to investigate his case and see it was a trumped up charge before deciding he was eligible for refugee status or did they just take his word for it as he comes from a country with non existent human rights.

3 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

So the Australian authorities must of gone to Bahrain to investigate his case and see it was a trumped up charge before deciding he was eligible for refugee status or did they just take his word for it as he comes from a country with non existent human rights.

Yes Australia has a mixed picture with various groups of refugees, mostly economic refugees. 

The football guy was not an economic refugee and IMHO the Australian authorities would have investigated his case thoroughly before they granted him asylum then PR and t's been mentioned that in Sept., this year he will likely get full Australian citizenship. Would all of that happened without serious investigation and analysis? NO.

Did the Australian authorities actually go to bahrain? Who knows? Could they do an investigation, as needed, without actually going to Bahrain? With the resources they have available the answer is YES.

9 hours ago, happy chappie said:

So what facts have I got wrong.we know Arab countries do play by the rules,look at the Jamal khashoggi incident.we know about the human abuse.all I'm saying he must of known he was on the Interpol red list and didn't even spend one minute to check himself if his name was removed from the list.less face the fact that he ain't the sharpest knife in the draw.

I didn't actually say he was a criminal but was pointing out the fact anyone coming from these countries can commit a crime in their country and run to a safe country and claim asylum.

it would be interesting to know if Australia contacted Bahrain about the alleged offence or if they just took his word for it,oh I was playing football at the time.

One last time, fact check before posting. Bahrain issued the Red Notice after they became aware of his travel plans to Thailand, in the meantime he was informed safe to travel. Bahrain illegally issued a Red Notice against someone who had received Refugee Status, as did Thailand. After lengthy delays and I guess testing the political damage of their actions, Bahrain has withdrawn their Red Notice.

Your last sentence is silly. Australia has significant experience with processing asylum seekers from the M.E. and diplomatic presence in the region.

• Like 1

Please continue here:

'He is a free man' - refugee Bahraini footballer heads home to Australia

By Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Juarawee Kittisilpa

2019-02-11T193429Z_1_LYNXNPEF1A1JY_RTROP

Released Bahraini footballer Hakeem Al Araibi is seen while boarding a plane, at Bangkok's International Airport, in Bangkok, Thailand, February 12, 2019. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A refugee Bahraini footballer with residency status in Australia boarded a flight for Melbourne early on Tuesday after Bahrain dropped its bid to have him extradited from Thailand, bringing to an end a case that had drawn international criticism.

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1083823-he-is-a-free-man-refugee-bahraini-footballer-heads-home-to-australia/

//CLOSED//

/Admin

• Like 1