Future forward leader says he's ready to oppose a military coup

snoop1130

Future forward leader says he's ready to oppose a military coup

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

IMG_20181001_105321-696x522.jpg

Future Forward leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit speaks in October at the party headquarters in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Future Forward Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit said Monday he is ready to oppose a military coup after rumors spread that another one was in the making.

Though the military regime quickly dispelled the Sunday evening rumor today, Thanathorn – a prime ministerial candidate – said at about 1pm that he had assigned his party’s intelligence team to closely monitor the political situation, as some fear elections scheduled for March 24 may not take place.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/02/11/thanathorn-says-hes-ready-to-oppose-a-military-coup/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-02-11

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eligius said:

As much as I like Thanathorn and would vote for him and his party, if I could, it does sound rather grandiloquent and pretentious of him to be speaking of his 'intelligence team' - as though he were already some massive Government machine, with agents all over the place, sifting and analysing the millions of pieces of secret data that they have obtained!

Delusions of grandeur already? I hope not.

He should fit right in.

• Like 1

Just now, mfd101 said:

It would be nice to think that the voting against any military or military-associated party would be so overwhelming that even THEY would feel obliged to return (permanently) to barracks.

Well, I'm allowed to dream, aren't I?

Yes, it sounds great. Can I have a bottle of whatever you've been drinking, ha ha!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

It would be nice to think that the voting against any military or military-associated party would be so overwhelming that even THEY would feel obliged to return (permanently) to barracks.

Well, I'm allowed to dream, aren't I?

Yes, it is very disappointing, isn't it? Today I was talking to a Thai friend who lives and works in the deep south of Thailand (he is moderately well educated, as are his friends): he told me that he and his whole group of friends at work are definitely going to vote for Prayut.

Oh dear!

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, it is very disappointing, isn't it? Today I was talking to a Thai friend who lives and works in the deep south of Thailand (he is moderately well educated, as are his friends): he told me that he and his whole group of friends at work are definitely going to vote for Prayut.

Oh dear!

Sad really. A bit like the Usofan South ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

as though he were already some massive Government machine, with agents all over the place, sifting and analysing the millions of pieces of secret data that they have obtained!

I have that. Its called Tinder and Badoo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well after the events on Friday he is now the only one most young Thai people- who want real change - will vote for.

It is refreshing to read his posts and watch him on Facebook dismantling the military piece by piece with great ideas and actual numbers - not just empty promises.

The other day live on TV he made the anti-Democrat Abhisit look like a little school boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why the need for another coup? Prayuth had the constitution re-written. It assured there would be 250 pro army senators for a long time into the future. Now, he conspired to have his primary opponent removed, no doubt. This country is in such bad shape politically, due to this arrogant and grossly incompetent fool, that there is no need for a coup. What we are witnessing right now is more or less the result of a coup. The army needs to be removed from power, by whatever means necessary. They are the worst thing that has happened to this nation, since the yellow shirts came to power. We all know how well that went.

LOL. What a difference 5 years has made. I got a long forum suspension for criticizing the PM and coup (not long after it took place and kind words in comparison to your assessment), and these days it's regular forum chit chat.

Only my speculation , but latest nomination and later disapproval may have been due to some threats or promises made/broken.

perhaps because of this , there is a rift within armed forces which may be the reason for coup talks/fears

all involved have been rather silent on the matter which is somewhat worrying 

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Im amazed at the amount of tourist who ask me "Whats it like living under a Military Junta" it must be lots are aware of the situation 

Amazing indeed.

I've never met one single tourist who asked me that; or even seemed remotely bothered.

• Haha 1