Touring On A Scooter

mercman24

hi, has or does or has anyone toured on a scooter, was thinking a leisurely trip to Buriram,  (and other places) any advice welcome, my bike, a 125 Yamaha GT , cruises at 80 kmph, no probs,  also point me in the direction of a decent map please ,or recommend a good sat nav, ( a bit different from my 1000rr Fireblade, sighs) but i can carry all my fishing gear on this. more practical

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have toured all over Thailand,always used a paper map. You should be able to pick one up at a book store. I did most of my touring on the back roads and never a problem. Travalled on the major highways only when needed. Into Bangkok thru MinBuri and out on the 32 kind of no other option. I ride a PCX 150 very dependable. Have fun on your new adventure. I always spend several hours pouring over maps before starting trips never lost.

Men ride big bikes real men tour on scooters.  

On one of my trips in Surin looking for hotel and this other PCX following me into parking lot. After getting off a young Thai kid ask me did you ride all the way from Chiang Mai and when I said yes he about fell over. Said if you have any problems call me and gave me his phone number. Really a nice guy.

I have toured all over Thailand,always used a paper map. You should be able to pick one up at a book store. I did most of my touring on the back roads and never a problem. Travalled on the major highways only when needed. Into Bangkok thru MinBuri and out on the 32 kind of no other option. I ride a PCX 150 very dependable. Have fun on your new adventure. I always spend several hours pouring over maps before starting trips never lost.

Men ride big bikes real men tour on scooters.  
On one of my trips in Surin looking for hotel and this other PCX following me into parking lot. After getting off a young Thai kid ask me did you ride all the way from Chiang Mai and when I said yes he about fell over. Said if you have any problems call me and gave me his phone number. Really a nice guy.

Real men ride big bikes, men who cannot afford them ride scooters - nuff said...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why would you do that?

Obviously it's not impossible. Some people even ride on a bicycle through Thailand.

But I think it's pretty obvious that a bigger bike has advantages like power reserves if you need to accelerate fast, more comfortable, likely you can easier transport baggage. I am sure the list goes on and on. There is a reason that adventure bikes exist.

So is this just a prof of concept, you can't afford a bigger bike, or what is this about?

19 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

My arse hurts just thinking about it

went out one day on my little Honda Wave and got lost

5 hours later with a really really numb bum i found my way back, never again

now have bigger bike, soooo much better

I bought my click 125i last year in khoen khen, my wife's home town.

Took it to the train station to bring it back to bangkok but they wouldn't let it on without number plates and the green book.

In a moment of madness I decided to ride it back. 560 kilometres without a hitch or sore ass. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and less than 300 baht in petrol. 

papa's 1st bike in Thailand

was Nouvo Elegance

bought in Chiangmai.

Rode her pretty fast

2 days to Buriram.

Large and medium suitcase lashed on back.

Many fuel stops and lashing cycles.

No biggies.

CBR150 pretty luxurious tho.

Anything bigger,

too heavy to pick up.

Been there.

Screw that.

1 minute ago, papa al said:

The natives are nicer to you.

Utter nonsense.

If anything there's more interaction with the 'natives' if you're on a big bike as a lot of them are interested in where your from or where you're going or want to have a look at the bike coz it's something a bit different.

If you're a decent bloke ( like me ) the natives are always nice.

I rode a Suzuki Shogun 125 around the Maehongson loop.  Took me a week and spent a day or two at each stop (Mae Sariang, Khun Yuam, Maehongson and Pai).  Slow going for sure, but I had a blast. I have no experience riding a big bike and certainly wasn’t about to learn on a ride like that. 

I've toured all over Thailand and parts of Laos with a Honda PCX. The bigger the bike the more comfortable and less tiring is usally the ride (if it's not a supersport), but for me on the PCX it was ok. I usually rode about 250km per day, after this distance within a day i was getting tired and my ass started to hurt.

9 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Explain to me the benifits of touring on a scooter as opposed to a big bike pls ( if cost of purchase is not an issue ).

If it falls over, you can pick it up.

It can't accelerate fast enough to cause loss of control.

You can drive it on the left shoulder. Do that with a big bike, and you'd be a wuss.

Every bike mechanic in Thailand knows how to fix a scooter.

More economical on fuel.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

If it falls over, you can pick it up.

It can't accelerate fast enough to cause loss of control.

You can drive it on the left shoulder. Do that with a big bike, and you'd be a wuss.

Every bike mechanic in Thailand knows how to fix a scooter.

More economical on fuel.

Big bikes can be picked up relatively easy if you know the correct technique

You don't need to accelerate fast to cause loss of control

Correct

Fair comment

Debatable

I wouldn’t say a 125 gt cruises at 80  easy no problems,it does 80 yes but that’s quite wringing it’s neck and not super comfortable speed,but of coarse you can tour on anything you just have to travel smaller distances in a day and put up with small inconviences I.e. not being very comfortable ,everything else on the road passing you,regular gas stops etc etc.

i would imagine long stretches of straight roads would become extremely boring.

i actually rode my 125 gt at 80 km/r an hour yesterday to see what it’s like normally I just potter around to shops on it between 40 to 50 km/hr,it was horrible and that was only for 5 minuits the wind blast straight into the whole top half of your body no wind protection at all,,I would say at least use something bigger than the Yamaha 125gt ...pcx or Aerox

10 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Utter nonsense.

If anything there's more interaction with the 'natives' if you're on a big bike as a lot of them are interested in where your from or where you're going or want to have a look at the bike coz it's something a bit different.

If you're a decent bloke ( like me ) the natives are always nice.

True. LOS.

But you have tried both.?

That would be the only way to really know, 

right.?

Touring on a big bike is commonplace.

Scooter, NOT.

Natives agog.

Often ask if you are single.

5 5.

Just watch out for potholes,

&c.

I think it would be quite entertaining to tour Thailand on my PCX. It's no less comfortable than my "man's bike" (FZ09). Touring for me isn't about haring along at 140; it's more about enjoying the scenery, stopping whenever you feel like it, detouring down interesting-looking side roads.

PCX is way more fuel-efficient than an 850 triple. Plus you'll find someone who can fix it absolutely anywhere, on the spot. Good luck getting a big bike fixed somewhere in the boonies in a couple of hours. 

https://www.motorcycle.com/features/ed-march-around-the-world-on-a-30-year-old-honda-c90.html

2 minutes ago, papa al said:

True. LOS.

But you have tried both.?

That would be the only way to really know, 

right.?

Touring on a big bike is commonplace.

Scooter, NOT.

Natives agog.

Often ask if you are single.

5 5.

Just watch out for potholes,

&c.

The furthest i've been on my PCX is about a 35-40km round trip, absolutely mind numbing.

17 hours ago, JaiLai said:

Real men ride big bikes, men who cannot afford them ride scooters - nuff said...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

????

I sold my big bike because it was not used enough and I used my scooter more. Big bikes are real impractical for day to day use. I would have kept my big bike if I had more room in front of the house but now it was standing in the way and was not used enough.

But I would not go touring on a scooter, you need a bit extra power to stay safe. It can be done of course but would be less fun IMHO.

Archived