"Farexit"........FarangExit.

Leaver

An informal poll.

Will you be a Leaver or a Remainer? 

Some believe the majority on monthly income will raise the 800k and remain.

Some believe the majority on monthly income will leave.

Will many chose to overstay?

Will there be a mass exodus of foreigners over the next 12 months, or very little difference in foreigner population in Thailand?  

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 4:53 PM, SheungWan said:

You appear to have a limited view of the range of visas available.

Not really.  There are already cases being reported on TV of the 65k monthly bank deposits not being accepted.  Probably because they think a lot of the 65k is recycled money, and they are probably right.  It was to be expect this would happen. 

A lot of Embassies not issuing the letters now.

There is the O visa which requires insurance.  I can imagine the price for an older person with pre-existing conditions.  Probably can't even qualify for insurance, so that visa is out for them.

That leaves tourist visas.  So the whole thing goes full circle with many back to living on tourist visas here and doing visa runs.  

Or, people just overstay.   

• Sad 2

In my area the exit began around 2012, many took their family's back to their home country's and many have died. In the last few years the only newcomer was a Chines gay man, but he has now moved on to Pattaya.

Its not just new visa problems that have driven people away. The main problems has been lack of money/exchange rate and poor health care for those in need.

I used to get invited to many farang weddings in the area, now its just funerals. Its all doom and gloom!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Maybe the elections, will lead to intelligent governance who would make the visa issues more encouraging, easier for the decent retiree folks, make the THB exchange rate more realistic then it's current inflated rate just to cater foreign investments of the rich and powerful ... if not, well...wait and see if the majority of foreigners start to leave ?

• Like 1

I think there is middle ground here. 

Many people who have Thai wives, house will go for the snowbird option. 

Move back to mythical magical farangland, but just do the 3 month winter escape to their Thai house.

Now I may be projecting my own experience here, but it's a pretty good compromise, at least for us, and no worries or hassles with immigration, worries about health insurance, money in the bank yada yada ya.

Now there are those that are trapped without a plan B....they are f****cked

• Like 1

Can you knowledgable folks confirm without reservation the following, all things being compliant with immigration requirements and Thai law?

i) What happens to the THB800K you have lodged in the Thai bank in the event of your death at any stage within the actual 12 month extension period?

ii) At the moment you should be able to walk away with your hard earned cash in the 2/3 month pre application period!

iii) Under what special circumstance(s) can you withdraw funds post application without jeapordising your clean record or committing an immigration offence?

I have not seen mention of such eventualities in any immigration documentation. 

My Elite visa expires in September.  I don't have enough $ saved up to renew it or to stick 800,000 baht in a bank.

So I'm going back to the classroom. ????  I was teaching in Burma until last October and now I'll do the same in Thailand on a non-imm B visa and no need to have money in the bank. (I might return to Burma in the future, but my current online teaching adds more than 100% to my in-class salary, and the internet ain't that good in Burma anyway - I just taught a Science lesson into Naypyitaw and the internet connection was on, off, on, off, off, off... er ... you get the idea I think).

Sorted ????

• Like 1

Being married to  a Thai I'll stay as long as my money's my own, even if it has to be seasoned. I will switch though to marriage visa. If they bring in compulsory medical insurance, I'l be off to PI probably.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Inuk said:

i) What happens to the THB800K you have lodged in the Thai bank in the event of your death at any stage within the actual 12 month extension period?

What you have specified in your Thai will. If you haven't written a will recognized in Thailand or don't have heirs legally recognized in Thailand who know about your 800k egg nest in case you die intestate, then it means you don't care about the answer does it?