British family rushes to Thailand to be by their unconscious son’s side after tragic accident

webfact

Family rushes to Thailand to be by their unconscious son’s side after tragic accident

Greta Levy

image.jpg

Jordan Grimmer from Carlton Colville fell and hit his head while holidaying with friends. Picture: Contributed by the Grimmer Family

Concerned parents have rushed to be by their son’s side after a tragic accident in Thailand which left him in an induced coma.

Jordan Grimmer, from Carlton Colville, fell and hit his head while holidaying with friends in Bangkok.

After undergoing complex surgery, which involved the removal of part of his skull to stop the bleeding and relieve pressure, the pipefitter remains unconscious and in an induced coma.

His sister, Shannon-Louise Grimmer said: “He has been receptive to different tests and doesn’t need a respirator to breathe and is breathing by himself.

After undergoing complex surgery, which involved the removal of part of his skull to stop the bleeding and relieve pressure, the pipefitter remains unconscious and in an induced coma.

Full story: https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/he-s-a-fighter-carlton-colville-family-rush-to-son-s-side-after-tragic-accident-in-thailand-1-5908938

-- EAST ANGLIAN DAILY TIMES 2019-02-28

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

His GoFundMe page list in the news article is only asking for 2000 pounds with that amount almost reached at this moment in time.  The hospital bill going to be a lot more than 2000 pounds.

https://www.gofundme.com/jordan-grimmer-surgery-fund

Perhaps the GoFundMe was to cover the cost of flights for his parents.... ???

Given the low GoFundMe request maybe he has insurance to cover his medical costs, or at this stage the costs have been underestimated in the extreme as I imagine the medical care exceeded £2000 within the first few hours of emergency care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SammyT said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now: Isn't it time that proof of insurance is required when we travel to countries which would not cover us?

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

Spot on. For mine, if you can afford an airfare to Thailand, you can afford the extra $50 - $100 for travel insurance for the duration of your stay. It needs to be assessed for a visa in the same manner as proof of return airfare and proof of sufficient funds to support yourself.

His bill is going to be enormous, and sadly, it won't be the last case like this with a Gofundme page attached that we see coming out of Thailand this year...

There is nothing in the article that says the lad was not insured. But we all know that brain surgery does not come cheap and it's possible that his cover has been exceeded by being in such an expensive hospital.

Surely he would not have ended up in there without any cover.

1 minute ago, mercman24 said:

MY VISITOR was in that hospital a year ago, for 2 days with suspected Denghi fever, bill was a 1000 uk pounds, paid by him then on return to the UK he got reimbursed

He had insurance I take it.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

As I was reading this I thought... I hope he wasn't drunk on a motorcycle without a license or a helmet.... I hope he has full insurance cover... 

It is suspected that he fell down some steps and whacked his head. 

And then I read.... A GoFundMe page......  and there we have it... no insurance. 

Sympathies to the young fellow and his family...  I hope he recovers quickly and their anguish is short lived. He's in the best hospital he could be. 

Now: Isn't it time that proof of insurance is required when we travel to countries which would not cover us?

In much the same way Thai's need to show Insurance when applying for a Schengen Visa and Airlines at check-in check our Visa or validity to enter a country, they could also check the validity of a Visa.... OR show our Medical Coverage on arrival in Thailand and if its not sufficient then some has to be purchased. 

OR... better still a reciprocal agreement between governments that emergency medical fee's can be covered and back-charged to your home country. 

It has been calculated that the cost of medical care for those expats living in Spain actually saves the NHS money for the treatment in Spain is cheaper than in the UK. I know this is not quite the same, but it 'could' be possible for governments to set up a system of back-charging (similar to the E111 forms of yesteryear when traveling in Europe).

Lets keep it simple NO insurance means no travel no visa. 

1 hour ago, Pib said:

His GoFundMe page list in the news article is only asking for 2000 pounds with that amount almost reached at this moment in time.  The hospital bill going to be a lot more than 2000 pounds.

https://www.gofundme.com/jordan-grimmer-surgery-fund

I guess if the family had not travelled there then that money would have been raised by now!

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

After undergoing complex surgery, which involved the removal of part of his skull to stop the bleeding and relieve pressure, the pipefitter remains unconscious and in an induced coma

unfortunately the Thais are not able to do this surgery, if they tried this poor guy must be dying.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps the GoFundMe was to cover the cost of flights for his parents.... ???

Given the low GoFundMe request maybe he has insurance to cover his medical costs, or at this stage the costs have been underestimated in the extreme as I imagine the medical care exceeded £2000 within the first few hours of emergency care.

I'm sure my wife paid more than that  at Bummy after a bad fall and a lot of stitches in her arm in about 4 or 5 places.. Took quite a while to do as they were very fine, not standard blanket stitch job that leaves 'zips' all over the place.

Insurance covered it though.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes I have platinum cover. Bupa is now Ethna Insurance. At 63 my insurance is 117,000 baht a year and it will go up again at 65. 

I have cover with etna also. Have you considered self insuring that’s what I’m thinking about doing in future?

hope the young fella recovers well.

Edited by NightSky