Thaivisa Meeting with Immigration officials

31 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

To be quite honest, I wasn't aware that Thaivisa were having a meeting with immigration, but here is what I know.

I have always used an agent to sort out my visa for Thailand and for anywhere else I want to go when a visa in advance is needed.

He has just completed today my retirement visa extension, so I am now good until May next year. (I did it early as I will probably be in the UK at the normal renewal time.)

He tells me that people are panicking unnecessarily as nothing has changed. He also tells me that any agents charging higher fees are simply taking the piss.

One of my old neighbours who I get on very well with works at immigration, in a pretty senior position. He tells me there is what you read in the news and what is going on at his office, and that they are two entirely different things. He also says absolutely nothing has changed, despite much gossip to the contrary.

The only thing that was different this year was that I had to physically go to the immigration office to have my photo taken. I was in and out on Tuesday afternoon in less than two minutes, so no real drama there.

If anyone requires the details of the agent I used, they are welcome to PM me. I have been using him for over ten years and he has always done an exemplary job, at what I feel to be a very fair fee, being significantly less than some of the prices I have seen quoted.

so you are saying that 800,000 for 5 months and 400,000 for the rest of the year is not required?

Edited by seajae

49 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I have always used an agent to sort out my visa for Thailand and for anywhere else I want to go when a visa in advance is needed.

I am not quite sure how to express this so I am not asking for self incrimination. Is there anything your agent is doing for you that you would not be able to arrange yourself by applying in person? Based on the fact that you are all set until May, this presumably means that immigration allowed the extension earlier than the normal 45 days (nothing improper in that, but only an agent would usually be able to achieve it). On the other hand, there are certain activities that might be regarded as skirting the normal rules. For instance, although this may not apply to you, some examples involve receiving a loan to cover financial proof and waiving of seasoning requirements.

I would note that what an agent is able to do for you will tend to vary depending on your local immigration office. It may be prudent to avoid revealing which one you use, but it would be useful information.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, seajae said:

so you are saying that 800,000 for 5 months and 400,000 for the rest of the year is not required?

is Darksidedog also saying that Embassies like the UK have now changed their minds back again and will do a letter to Immigration.  It's just not true to say that nothing has changed, clearly quite a lot has obviously changed, not least the amount that must be left in the bank for longer than before and the requirements for using the monthly amount transferred to a Thai bank method.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

To be quite honest, I wasn't aware that Thaivisa were having a meeting with immigration, but here is what I know.

He has just completed today my retirement visa extension, so I am now good until May next year. (I did it early as I will probably be in the UK at the normal renewal time.)

He tells me that people are panicking unnecessarily as nothing has changed. He also tells me that any agents charging higher fees are simply taking the piss.

One of my old neighbours who I get on very well with works at immigration, in a pretty senior position. He tells me there is what you read in the news and what is going on at his office, and that they are two entirely different things. He also says absolutely nothing has changed, despite much gossip to the contrary.

The only thing that was different this year was that I had to physically go to the immigration office to have my photo taken. I was in and out on Tuesday afternoon in less than two minutes, so no real drama there.

If anyone requires the details of the agent I used, they are welcome to PM me. I have been using him for over ten years and he has always done an exemplary job, at what I feel to be a very fair fee, being significantly less than some of the prices I have seen quoted.

Are you saying that Embassies like the UK have now changed their minds back again and will do a letter to Immigration.  It's just not true to say that nothing has changed, clearly quite a lot has obviously changed, not least the amount that must be left in the bank for longer than before and the requirements for using the monthly amount transferred to a Thai bank method.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I think you can bet that it will be BREAKING NEWS if and when they do. Based on that, I would say: no, they didn't.

True, but I did not say I was having a meeting with Immigration they did.

So my question is still - did they yes or no.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i would have thought "Pattaya Cit Expats" would step up to the plate

The ones that refer their readers to TV for updates on new extension rules?

And I think the only info post initial police instruction has been a few heads of immigration from different provinces giving their interpretation. No contact from immigration central.

1st March has come and gone, the next few weeks should see some sort of coherence,maybe.

Personally I think immigration central made such a mess of the new rules they are simply laying low.

And I think the only info post initial police instruction has been a few heads of immigration from different provinces giving their interpretation. No contact from immigration central.
1st March has come and gone, the next few weeks should see some sort of coherence,maybe.
Personally I think immigration central made such a mess of the new rules they are simply laying low.
It seems to me BJ is just looking for a photo opportunity and doesn't get into the detail, its turned out far more complicated than they ever imagined
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
20 minutes ago, Thailand said:

It seems to me BJ is just looking for a photo opportunity and doesn't get into the detail, its turned out far more complicated than they ever imagined

This seems to be his MO. headline grabbing publicity hound with scant regard for detail. The worst gift to expats in immigration history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Yes you are quite correct they have made a total cockup of the whole situation and now it becomes a matter of losing face and nobody in Thailand wants to lose face.

• Haha 1

Yes, I would like your agents name and number. I am getting quotes of 35,000 and up to put 800,000 in my account. What infuriates me is I qualify for a legal Visa, am a good expat, cause no trouble, break no laws, and pump 1.4 million into the economy every year. This is my 11th renewal and there is no reason for this nonsense.

Anybody that thinks they actually move 800,000 into your account is naive. It is a total scam and the immigration officials are in on it. My summation is they are charging foreigners Bt 35,000 for actually is about an hours work. I realize they have to split this fee with a lot of scam artist, but it is still an unreasonable amount

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, AGITATORKEN said:
Yes, I would like your agents name and number. I am getting quotes of 35,000 and up to put 800,000 in my account. What infuriates me is I qualify for a legal Visa, am a good expat, cause no trouble, break no laws, and pump 1.4 million into the economy every year. This is my 11th renewal and there is no reason for this nonsense.

Anybody that thinks they actually move 800,000 into your account is naive. It is a total scam and the immigration officials are in on it. My summation is they are charging foreigners Bt 35,000 for actually is about an hours work. I realize they have to split this fee with a lot of scam artist, but it is still an unreasonable amount

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

your case doesn't make sense, you say you spend 1.4 million a year but are having trouble with the 800k or income method

Like me he may be transferring the money but not at equal monthly intervals in order to reduce fees - I hate giving banks money in fees especially since they are giving me very little in return for my large balance

• Confused 2

Like me he may be transferring the money but not at equal monthly intervals in order to reduce fees - I hate giving banks money in fees especially since they are giving me very little in return for my large balance
Then he and you aren't complying with the new rules.

I dislike the extra swift charges also
  • Like 2

I do not think anyone either believed it or disbelieved it. It is irrelevant.

People normally paid a lot less than 35,000 and got what they paid for.

That is all they were bothered about.

3 minutes ago, Benroon said:

If you read the wholesale slaughter of immigration, Thai people and Thailand in general on here, would you respond ? 

Only a small minority here attack Thai people and Thailand, though that is an unfortunate side-effect of a govt having it's front-line foreigner-contacts behave like many in immigration do.  Some, who don't think it through, will blame all Thais for what a tiny clique is doing, because a primary point of contact is that clique.

But, I can see why corrupt immigration officials would see little point in providing public-relations talking-points to a group of people who, to a great extent, can see right through their supposed justifications for the "new rules."  And besides, citing more examples (combos, for example) would create additional clarity, which is obviously not the goal, as "flexibility" is needed in order for under-the-table revenue reach it's maximum potential.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So who pays for the facility that means you don’t have to wade through airports carrying sackfuls of money ? Billions of pounds of infrastructure required to make that and other transactions happen ? 

It’s amazing the amount of people who believe banks should be at your beck and call for free.

No one forces you to use them - send it over in an envelope for much less.

Really ? you are so ill-informed it is shocking

and we are forced to use banks since your work pay can no longer be paid in cash

I remember a time when banks were begging for you to open an account and offering services to entice you - they no longer need to do that because "YOU HAVE NO CHOICE"  and just wait until the next big move comes - CASHLESS,  then they will really have you by the balls

• Like 2