Failed to open Bangkok Bank Account

8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I've seen numerous accounts that recommend the Bank opposite Soi 6 on 2nd road for expats.  I never had a problem there.  The OP owns a condo?  How would one buy a condo without a Thai bank account? 

i can verify that this bank is easy to open an account with. all dealings thereafter, very pleasant and efficient.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No his, I think he showed his 3BB account receipt as proof of address, no residence cert or house book required.

It's not as if the Thai banks ever use your address for anything.

Actually they do. I have a separate file just for the statements I receive from the bank.

However, if you just have a regular Savings (and/or Fixed Term) account, then they will rarely send anything. However an address is normally still required (just as it is in pretty much every other country in the world). If for no other reason than someone gets caught trying to use your passbook/ATM and they (or the police) can't get ahold of you, maybe someone will actually go to your address.

But if you have investments and/or insurance policies with the bank, they definitely send stuff to your address.

But, as with almost everything in this country, the rules seem to change from bank to bank, branch to branch and even from clerk to clerk. The miscommunication that goes on is mind boggling at times.

Also, one has to keep in mind - many people try to open a CHEQUING account and expect that they should be able to do so with NO address and literally NO money deposited and think that the bank(s) will never figure out what they are trying to do - until they are long gone of course.

(Hence the requirement for a Work Permit and Visa to open a Chequing account - normally.)

ALSO keep in mind that the clerks are supposed to TRY and sell you the bank's insurance and - as you ALL should know - none of those clerks are "native English speakers" and thus may not be able to explain things adequately.
Such as the fact that you don't need to buy insurance to open an account (but they really want you to as it boosts the numbers on their books).

I've had conversations with the clerks at the branch I deal with and more than a couple of times they've had to go to the manager for clarification because they didn't think they could do something and then the manager comes out, explains the process and all is well after that.

If their manager hasn't explained things to them properly, they may be under the impression that the criteria to open an account is (this "and" that) and that is all they will accept because if they screw up - they know it will most likely come out of their salary.
When you try to explain to them that it is (this "or" that) - they may not understand (and don't want to lose face of course). Then you politely ask if you can speak with the manager.

10s of thousands of expats have opened accounts with no problem at all. Probably dozens of new accounts are opened everyday in Pattaya alone. If I wanted to open a new account tomorrow (in a different bank), I would go to Immigration today and get a Certificate of Residence, then make photocopies of the facepage of my passport and the page with the most recent Retirement extension stamp.
Then I'd go to (whichever bank) and ask to open a SAVINGS account.

I'd be very surprised if they said no.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dabhand said:

I opened an account with BB some 3/4 months back at their branch in East Pattaya (Khao Noi). See post 4 on this thread:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1077079-opening-a-bangkok-bank-bank-account/

Of course, being Thaland, YMMV.

Same here shortly after reading your post. She also sold me accident insurance which I was grateful for because my previous bank stopped mine when I turned 70. I'm now almost 75. I feel certain I could've opened it without the insurance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

Same here shortly after reading your post. She also sold me accident insurance which I was grateful for because my previous bank stopped mine when I turned 70. I'm now almost 75. I feel certain I could've opened it without the insurance.

I opened an account last week (In Pattaya). Was offered the insurance, declined, but she still opened the account for me ????

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

He didn't say he didn't have a bank account. Rather he needed a Bangkok Bank one.

Yes i have a Krungsri account already (which i opened easily without all this fuss). I wanted a Bangkok bank account for their magical FTT anotation for my foreign transfers.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 2

As some have said, it can vary between banks and branches of the same bank as to what they will accept or need. In my case my son and myself 7 years ago opened accounts with the Bangkok bank when visiting Thailand only with a 30 day visa exempt entry. But I should say it does help to have a Thai person with you for back-up or to act as as sort of a guarantor. Shop around. 

I tried today, in Jomtien, to open a Bangkok bank account to get the famous "FTT" notification on my 65k foreign transgers into Thailand. I had my passport and condo chanote which is, supposedly, all i needed to open an account. The lady there refused saying i needed a yellow house book. I tried to explain that condos don't have yellow books, just a blue book, which doesn't have my name in anyway. No luck with that
plus she said they wanted 3,500 baht "insurance" to open the account, which i wouldn't have paid.

So it's back to square one to ensure my visa extension for the furure.

Just go to another branch - anybody asking for “insurance” to open an account is obviously trying to scam you.
Requirements sound funny because I went through all these hoops opening bank accounts two years ago.
Needed to seed the money for retirement but nobody would let me open an account without a work permit.
Until a friend referred me to the regional manager of Bangkok Bank and she opened a bank account for me without problems. As there is another option - a Thai guarantor - just simply guaranteeing with her/ his signature for you to open the account.

Funny that after all the different banks /branches I initially got turned down- and only got blank stares when I asked them how should I seed the money for my retirement visa if I can’t open a bank account??
I just recently went to Bangkok Bank branch near our new home only to inquire about the cost of depositing a cashiers check of a substantial amount with the cashier.
The bank manager was informed and she came rushing out and offered me to open a new account at her branch with nothing else but my passport!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Trust me just try a different bank you’ll find one, sometimes you have to shop around banks.  I didn’t find the right bank branch till my second try at my local SCB branch and they’re awesome.  If you’re set on Bangkok Bank just try a different branch or a different bank like SCB.  All the bank branches have their own rules you just have to find the right bank for you.  

I have a yellow book and I  own condo, if somebody told you that you can not have yellow on a condo it's incorrect, yes you can. If you look into the TV posts (maybe 1 month ago or so) you will find somebody posting reporting a similar problem while trying to open a BKK account at branch in Jomtien or Pattaya and the person was advise to look for a different branch, he did and the account was open without any problem

23 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

A contradiction then, he did show proof of address.

Well it appears on my letter for Immigration and on my bank statements, so obviously serves a purpose.

Take no notice of him, he doesn't believe anyone has a problem opening a account here , thinks your name wrote in the back of your coat is ID  enough..

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tlandtday said:

stay away from jomtien i recall once opening an account at a competing bank in jomtien and they too wanted the "insurance" plan i suspect it gives a big commission...

As much as ANY bank may have 'wanted' you to buy insurance, there's absolutely nothing that says that you have to.

Yes i have a Krungsri account already (which i opened easily without all this fuss). I wanted a Bangkok bank account for their magical FTT anotation for my foreign transfers.
Bangkok Bank is only useful for Transferwise and even then its not guaranteed all transfers will be Intl

On 3/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, seajae said:

3500 insurance, sounds more like a scam, I just used my passport and certificate of residency, no problems, no money paid

Sometimes they make it easier to open the account if you take the optional health/accident insurance or credit card.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Bangkok Bank is only useful for Transferwise and even then its not guaranteed all transfers will be Intl

I have found them to be okay for many years. Bit dopey when waiting for a teller sometimes, my time is of no consequence, but the queues I see in-front of the Kasikorn in Big-CX makes me think they are no better. Offering staff commissions to sell products turns them into vultures, they will deliberately lie to get the money.

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have found them to be okay for many years. Bit dopey when waiting for a teller sometimes, my time is of no consequence, but the queues I see in-front of the Kasikorn in Big-CX makes me think they are no better. Offering staff commissions to sell products turns them into vultures, they will deliberately lie to get the money.

Shurely shome mishtake?