UK PM May to EU: Agree to backstop changes or risk disorderly Brexit

webfact

12 hours ago, Loiner said:

Don’t stop at the backstop.
There’s plenty more in her surrender document that must be rejected.
Or bring on the No Deal exit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Funny thing is that the backstop was a invention from the U.K.side , as they would not like a border on  U.K side or on N Irland side ….They came up with it as a replacement for the border problem….and now trying to remove that replacement….. thinking E.U. are idiots …?

"Don't like this , don't like that, not want so  etc...." and more trying's  

Edited by david555

20 minutes ago, david555 said:

Funny thing is that the backstop was a invention from the U.K.side , as they would not like a border on  U.K side or on N Irland side ….They came up with it as a replacement for the border problem….and now trying to remove that replacement….. thinking E.U. are idiots …?

"Don't like this , don't like that, not want so  etc...." and more trying's  

Who cares? We just need to find a solution that is acceptable to the EU and will get through the UK Parliament.  Arguing about who said this and who said that gets us nowhere. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JAG said:

And is something of a "leitmotif" running through a great many posts on this forum, posts commenting on or disparaging those who voted to leave the EU.

You mean like a blues riff in G?

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Who cares? We just need to find a solution that is acceptable to the EU and will get through the UK Parliament.  Arguing about who said this and who said that gets us nowhere. 

The UK will continue to fail to come up with a solution outside of a backstop. Come up with a solution and the backstop goes away. Legal protection for a default. So where does this leave us if no solution? It means that Parliament cannot this moment pass a deal and since it is also the situation that there is no majority for a no-deal........ So.... another referendum sails into view.

5 hours ago, billd766 said:

Really? I thought that the border/backstop was an EU invention.

The UK has said many times that they DON'T want a border but the EU says there must be when the UK leaves.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-44615404

But, after Brexit, all that could change - the two parts of Ireland could be in different customs and regulatory regimes, which could mean products being checked at the border.

The UK government does not want this to happen. The EU has also said it does not want any hardening of the border.

However, the UK's current red lines, which include leaving the customs union and the single market, make that very difficult.

Google knows all, so: Good Friday agreement AND no border.

That "backstop" is nothing else as a last security, no hard border between North and South will occur.

How can there be no border between two identities ? So, goods, in accordance with UK law ( whatever agreement might come), should have unlimited access to Irish republic and visa versa ?

The EU has a bad experience with "open borders". In my profession: when Greece entered the EU, a regulation for minimum import prices of raisins was set up. By coincidence, only Turkey had a problem with it. As Switzerland had different rules… in no time 700.000 tons of raisins were exported from Switzerland into the EU.

Another: when no border.. imagine the EU relocates all immigrants to ?? a place in the Irish Republic, 500 mtr from Nothr Ireland. I guarantee you, every morning there will be many showing up in North Ireland. No border.. so cannot be returned…

Last-but-not least: what is going to happen between Gibraltar and Spain ? Or the Channel Islands and France ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

How have the British broken the GFA? The British government have made it absolutely clear they will not install a border in Ireland. 

So, where you want the EU outer border then ? Outside Cork ?

What with the border between Gibraltar and Spain ? 

3 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

So, where you want the EU outer border then ? Outside Cork ?

What with the border between Gibraltar and Spain ? 

I don't want an outer border.  Nobody does. And nobody will put one in. As the EU have already said, they will have to find an operational way to control the movement of goods if there is no deal. And they will. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

The UK will continue to fail to come up with a solution outside of a backstop. Come up with a solution and the backstop goes away. Legal protection for a default. So where does this leave us if no solution? It means that Parliament cannot this moment pass a deal and since it is also the situation that there is no majority for a no-deal........ So.... another referendum sails into view.

I agree with some of what you say. It is May's fault we got into this backstop mess. She should never have suggested it was necessary.

2nd ref? As has been said before by myself and others, that wouldn't solve anything. As a country we need to move on now, for our sake and for the remaining 27. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

Everything would change. I think Scotland could mirror Denmark

mmmm be careful what you wish for.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/amnesty-slams-hidden-rape-culture-in-denmark-6h2mgnsw2

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/07/04/study-ten-twelve-rapists-denmark-migrant-backgrounds/

I don't like your suggestion and even the die hard Scottish nationalists I believe, would not want that either.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Yes, as Junker or Tusk said recently: The problem is that there is no majority in the British Parliament FOR anything. There are only majorities against.

What a wunnerful culture, full of Hope 'n Glory.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

2nd ref? As has been said before by myself and others, that wouldn't solve anything. As a country we need to move on now, for our sake and for the remaining 27. 

I agree to the second sentence. But I also think that the first sentence is the solution for that (even though I personally don’t like the idea of such referendum leading to the UK remaining part of the EU). If you think about what the root cause of the current impasse is, it should become clear that asking the people is the only way out of this mess.  

11 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Google knows all, so: Good Friday agreement AND no border.

That "backstop" is nothing else as a last security, no hard border between North and South will occur.

How can there be no border between two identities ? So, goods, in accordance with UK law ( whatever agreement might come), should have unlimited access to Irish republic and visa versa ?

The EU has a bad experience with "open borders". In my profession: when Greece entered the EU, a regulation for minimum import prices of raisins was set up. By coincidence, only Turkey had a problem with it. As Switzerland had different rules… in no time 700.000 tons of raisins were exported from Switzerland into the EU.

Another: when no border.. imagine the EU relocates all immigrants to ?? a place in the Irish Republic, 500 mtr from Nothr Ireland. I guarantee you, every morning there will be many showing up in North Ireland. No border.. so cannot be returned…

Last-but-not least: what is going to happen between Gibraltar and Spain ? Or the Channel Islands and France ?

TBH I have no idea what will happen and neither does anybody else including yourself. We can all take a stab in the dark and (IMO) this will happen. If it does it was a lucky guess.

That is what the politicians are paid for and what a crap job they have made of it so far.

• Like 2

This brexit s..t it's becoming a joke, a very big joke, they want to leave but yet they want a good deal, if they areal want to leave, just leave, deal or no deal leave and stop the whining

10 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

mmmm be careful what you wish for.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/world/amnesty-slams-hidden-rape-culture-in-denmark-6h2mgnsw2

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/07/04/study-ten-twelve-rapists-denmark-migrant-backgrounds/

I don't like your suggestion and even the die hard Scottish nationalists I believe, would not want that either.

you obviously havent seen the clip of most scottish lassies.

9 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

They want to eat their cake & have it.

Rest of the world doesn't sympathize. Funny that.

because the brainless were told the EU needed us more than we needed them and the rest of the world would be fighting each other to sign trade deals with us,it was all a pile of pap,the facts are despite welcoming us to remain in the EU they are not bothered about us leaving either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

This brexit s..t it's becoming a joke, a very big joke, they want to leave but yet they want a good deal, if they areal want to leave, just leave, deal or no deal leave and stop the whining

It is no joke...

It will cost us billions, damaging both UK and EU economies, much of the damage has already been done and costs in preparing for what ever the out come shall be already spent.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't want an outer border.  Nobody does. And nobody will put one in. As the EU have already said, they will have to find an operational way to control the movement of goods if there is no deal. And they will. 

There will have to be a border in the Irish Sea. If not between NI and UK then between the Republic of Ireland and mainland EU. How many peoples does England wish to piss off?

14 minutes ago, Grouse said:

There will have to be a border in the Irish Sea. If not between NI and UK then between the Republic of Ireland and mainland EU. How many peoples does England wish to piss off?

Not many people have talked about that option - a border between the RoI and mainland Europe. Why not have the checks on the EU borders? What damage would that cause the RoI versus the obvious damage a border with NI would cause? I don't know - haven't really looked into that one. 

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Not many people have talked about that option - a border between the RoI and mainland Europe. Why not have the checks on the EU borders? What damage would that cause the RoI versus the obvious damage a border with NI would cause? I don't know - haven't really looked into that one. 

I'll tell you this, if the result is border checks between Eire and the mainland, we will need huge numbers of paras and SAS! The repercussions will be massive. Many right wing Brexiters will wind up in pig food!