Top cop: Absolutely no DUI - but we'll go easy on riding in pick-ups at Songkran

rooster59

I’m still going to buy at least two cases of my imported beer early probably on payday before April 1st, and if anyone wants whiskey the mom and pop shops always sell it regardless of the law.  Our driver will definitely not be drinking but yes we damn well will bring our alcohol in the back of the pick up truck through the water fight areas as well because otherwise it takes most of the fun out of it.  It’ll be no different than last year and where I live the cops are pretty cool and they don’t mess with people unless they have to.  The cops are actually very friendly where I live but there’s no that much crime here and violence almost never occurs here except for maybe a few very rare occasions.  I’m gonna buy it early anyway regardless of whatever law or ban they pass when I buy the water guns just because I like to be prepared early for everything anyway.  I’m thinking about buying balloons this year as well and making water balloons I’ve actually never seen any water balloons during Songkran and this will be my fifth Songkran.  I actually thought of the water balloon idea recently and I was thinking that you never see that here.  

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I remember when Songkran was a rather gentle festival.  If you were elderly, people would ask if it was OK to pour a wee bit of water on your hand or arm.  Times change.

Lovely times. My first Songkran was in 1979 - today I can't believe that it's the same celebration. 

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

It's not water playing people in pick ups that are dangerous, its the people on roadsides that throws buckets of ice-cold water in the face of passing motorcycles.

Why is it less dangerous to throw water on motorcycles from the side of the road than it is from a pick up truck? Asking for a friend.

The only thing that I think should be banned on Songkran is that ice cold water they dump on you, that should be against the Geneva Convention of water fighting.  The ice cold water should be banned along with the use of chemical weapons.  

2 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

Why is it less dangerous to throw water on motorcycles from the side of the road than it is from a pick up truck? Asking for a friend.

After you hit the rider and he plows into something, that could be you if you're on the side of the road (somnamnaa). If he plows into the pickup truck you can then take the entire barrel with 100kg ice chunks in it and pour it on his mangled carcass while laughing in true Dr.Evil style. Happy Songkran!

I recommend a tanker truck and water cannon though. Yes, I have seen one in Pattaya once. People were falling on their <deleted> from the blast.

1 hour ago, kensisaket said:

there is so many more of them at the roadside, and for some reason,

the roadside retards always target my eyes

Edited by brokenbone

I see hundreds of people riding and standing up in the back of pick-ups every single day. Drive anywhere at 7am and you see the roads are chock full of people being driven to work in the back of pick-ups.

In our town they driving we seem to have a police check point set up at a different place on the main road every single day. Pick-up drivers with a bed full of passengers seem to have no problems at these check points so I don't know what 'going easy' on them means. Going easy compared to what? That is the  question?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I remember when Songkran was a rather gentle festival.  If you were elderly, people would ask if it was OK to pour a wee bit of water on your hand or arm.  Times change.

O please in the Maddog Bar her in CM there are old photos of Songram going back ages people were packed in the back of 6wheelers with barrels of water throwing it and not a farang in site. If you go home and honour the parents then a different ball game

HEHE It is that time of the year for many a farang to get his panties in a twist, It is SONGRAM that unholy holiday of water, beer, and what ever. Time of the year for many to leave the country and a few to stay in their rooms . Get over it guys it isn't your holiday and it will not be cancelled

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Going back many years to about 1995 or so, I remember staying in Bangkok for Songkran. It was sooooo quiet Sukhumvit should have had tumbleweeds drifting down it. One fact I do remember was that wherever we went, and there was a cop directing traffic, he had a huge pile of presents at the side of the road. My wife told me it was the one day a year the Bangkokians made sure to say thank you for the traffic police enduring the filthy conditions the rest of the year. 

We also met a lot of off duty police in the evening who definitely knew how to party. 

Good times.......

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

HEHE It is that time of the year for many a farang to get his panties in a twist, It is SONGRAM that unholy holiday of water, beer, and what ever. Time of the year for many to leave the country and a few to stay in their rooms . Get over it guys it isn't your holiday and it will not be cancelled

I hope the top cop realises what he has done. His simple statement has caused the premature start of the Thaivisa annual ' I hate Songran' whinge fest to kick off three weeks early this year. Normally we have had to wait after April 1st for this sad event occur. 

There is an upside I guess- sales of counterfeit boxed sets of TV series such as Game of Thrones will be demand earlier than usual.

I often ponder on the similarities between Thailand expats and the religion of peace advocates residing in their home countries. Both seek to whine and bitch and try to change the traditions of their host nation. I have no time for the members of either of these groups.

I'll come out of the proverbial closet and admit I'm a proud,fully paid up member, of the' if you don't like it - go home' brigade.

Deal with it.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I see hundreds of people riding and standing up in the back of pick-ups every single day. Drive anywhere at 7am and you see the roads are chock full of people being driven to work in the back of pick-ups.

In our town they driving we seem to have a police check point set up at a different place on the main road every single day. Pick-up drivers with a bed full of passengers seem to have no problems at these check points so I don't know what 'going easy' on them means. Going easy compared to what? That is the  question?

Go easy allowed 30 people instead of 25