Kids work

fra107

13 hours ago, fra107 said:

And because i had an argument with my Thai friend about it, I'm from Europe and for me is so strange and sad seeing kids working

What is sad is the worthless western kids with no work ethic.

• Like 1

You're right about the flower sellers you see outside bars in tourist areas late at night when they should be at home asleep, they are exploited. 

Occasionally helping out inside a family shop / restaurant attached to their house, after school hours or on weekends, no more than an hour or two a day, that'd be another thing.  

Thai law says a max of 2 years imprisonment and/or a 400-800k fine for employing someone under 15 years of age, penalties were increased in 2017.

https://globalcompliancenews.com/thai-labour-protection-act-child-labour-violations-20170209/

'Employment' would probably mean 8+ hours a day and it not being with parents. Some grey area inbetween, and minimal enforcement. 

7 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I grew up on a farm and 'helped' my parents with the chores from the day I could walk upright carrying a bucket.  Besides which, given the fact that both parents are usually engaged in the business, what else would you have these kids do?  Hang out at the mall until it closes?  Sit at home watching TV / Playing games on a phone / Chatting to strangers on a social networking site?  Obviously, there are some instances where it is wrong for young children to work, but helping out in the family business isn't one of them.

Almost in agreement, as long as it does not interfere with studies or play time for the kid then its ok. I worked when I was younger too. Though a normal saturday job and working in the tulip fields.

I’ve always wondered about that as well and I’ve seen things worse than that which really makes me feel bad.  I’ve seen kids that age around 8 to 10 years old walking around the outdoor markets and restaurants/bars alone with no adult supervision IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT trying to sell little things.  I always think that poor kid ought to be home in bed sleeping and getting ready for school tomorrow.  I know that none of my wife’s sister’s children ever had to do that as kids and now their youngest daughter is in college.  Yeah that really upsets me as well when I see that but we’re not in the United States or Europe.  Unfortunately there are some really sad things that do go on around here that most people prefer to ignore and look the other way.  

• Like 1

Wow so much negative comments. The answer is simple as to why you see so many working. The parents  are usually lazy, like to bully and be controlling and also they like to keep family close for there own selfish but at the same time financial security. Those kids will end up in there 50s in the same crappy house doing the same crappy thing to there kids.

I agree though with the op ita weird but i get it. My personal opinion is that any kids under say 13-14 shouldnt be doing any such work. That said the mentality of a lot of parents is that of a 3yr old.

I left school as soon as i was old enough and worked full time and ran my own business from the age of 18.

• Sad 1

I worked on my father's farm from age 5 or 6. Given jobs that I could accomplish,  and was given more responsible as I got older. I see nothing wrong with helping your parents in shops or family business.  

• Like 2

Part of the ops issue  is that he doesn't understand that Asian people appear to be the age he is used to.  Where I work the CFO turned up with his team of accountants to audit the place.  I swear one girl looked 14. She was 23 with a degree in accountancy. 

I mentioned this to the CFO as he sad this was a big issue with NGO coming to SEA who had no clue and thought everyone was being trafficked. 

BTW I grew up int ole int ground  and were wake up every morning wit load of gravel dumped on us.  Did we complain? 

Edited by emptypockets

17 hours ago, fra107 said:

I talked about it with a Thai friend, and she said it's absolutely normal and an honor for a kid to work and help his or her parents in the family business. 

I would like to know more about it. 

As your Thai friend said, it's absolutely normal, and an honor for a kid to work and help his or her parents in the family business...????

Thailand is (still) a different culture from the West; I often say you can compare to what it was like "at home" about 70-years ago – apart from mobile phones and social media – at that time it was also normal that small kids were helping in mum and dad's business, or farm. Same-same, and not so different...????

What is not "normal" is small kids selling flowers, and other stuff, at late night in tourists areas, or kids used by beggars. However, often the flower-selling kids are not Thai, but organized imported migrants. Please, never buy flowers, or other stuff, from kids at night.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Wow so much negative comments. The answer is simple as to why you see so many working. The parents  are usually lazy, like to bully and be controlling and also they like to keep family close for there own selfish but at the same time financial security. Those kids will end up in there 50s in the same crappy house doing the same crappy thing to there kids.

I agree though with the op ita weird but i get it. My personal opinion is that any kids under say 13-14 shouldnt be doing any such work. That said the mentality of a lot of parents is that of a 3yr old.

I left school as soon as i was old enough and worked full time and ran my own business from the age of 18.

and the first para of your post is wow so negative.

• Like 1

In Australia there is no minimum age restriction for gaining employment. At the restaurant where I work we have a 13 year old girl who does a few full shifts on evenings & weekends and when my son turns 8 we’re gonna get him dishying out the back.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:29 AM, pr9spk said:

I would suggest that Thai children get a better and more rounded education from working with their parents, and learning how to make money, than from a Thai state school education. I'm not sure why you think it is sad seeing young children learning how to make a living!

I was forced to study French, German and Latin at school - absolutely zero use to me whatsoever! Had I been able to learn how to support myself working at a restaurant, market or some other business, that would have been infinitely more useful to me.

Not sure about labour laws, 

19 minutes ago, seabass69 said:

In Australia there is no minimum age restriction for gaining employment. At the restaurant where I work we have a 13 year old girl who does a few full shifts on evenings & weekends and when my son turns 8 we’re gonna get him dishying out the back.

Oh yes there is labour laws

22 minutes ago, seabass69 said:

Minimum employment age 13 with special permit, general employment age 15, family business no minimum age. Australia regulations

On 3/10/2019 at 12:19 PM, fra107 said:

Because I'm curious about Thai laws, habits and culture 

And because i had an argument with my Thai friend about it, I'm from Europe and for me is so strange and sad seeing kids working 

If you are truly curious then why is the need to argue with your Thai friend?  From my experience, if they aren't being abused in any manner this is actually good for them to learn something since they aren't going to be from their government during their free time?  This will keep them off the motorbikes or smartphones doing basically nothing.  The government provides nearly zero in terms of activities for their youth?  No real after-school programs or Recreation centers kids can't even get a part-time job at 7/11 unless they have a high school education. 

On 3/11/2019 at 2:43 AM, fra107 said:

because i love this country and people and i would like to know more about this culture. 

Yet, you felt the need to arrive with your high horse and lecture others about what they should be doing?

How about you mind your own business and if you truly love the country please leave.

Mate you're not going to make a difference so let "sleeping dogs lie" Enjoy the experience!

Just for the record at age 13 I was doing a Daily Paper Round and on a Saturday I worked in Fishmongers! Was I exploited?? I personally classed it as "Work Experience" and it gave me a 360 vision of reality!

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

Yet, you felt the need to arrive with your high horse and lecture others about what they should be doing?

How about you mind your own business and if you truly love the country please leave.

I'm just asking some info about the country I'm visiting, forums are made for this purpose, no? 

I don't want to come with my high horse and i don't have in plan to live or have a business in Thailand. 

And of course i don't want to tell people how they should live! 

What is your problem for being that aggressive? 

Edited by fra107
  • Like 1

In the past, most children at least helped their parents, if not working sometimes elsewhere. These days too many children do not even wash dishes or sweep the floor, wash clothes etc. And then they become phone addicted layabouts. Actually having to work when they are older comes as a complete shock to them and it takes time for them to adjust (if ever). Better to experience work when they are younger and know the reality. Obviously wrong to work full days and do dangerous jobs. Also it teaches children the value of money. 

Remember 150 years ago children in the UK were working in mines or factories sometimes when as young as 4 years old. And workplaces could be pretty dangerous back then. It needs a balance between quality of life and getting experience, school cannot provide all of it.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:19 AM, fra107 said:

Because I'm curious about Thai laws, habits and culture 

Thai kids in a rural environment do a lot more for their parents, generally speaking, and unless someone makes a complaint, the government is not interested in interfering if it is family. What is sad is the rote learning they are subjected to in Thai schools, so next time you see a Thai kid humping boxes or serving a customer, he's learning a lot more than he would at school. I'd say you lost the argument with your friend, so the beers are on you!!!

3 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Thai kids in a rural environment do a lot more for their parents, generally speaking, and unless someone makes a complaint, the government is not interested in interfering if it is family. What is sad is the rote learning they are subjected to in Thai schools, so next time you see a Thai kid humping boxes or serving a customer, he's learning a lot more than he would at school. I'd say you lost the argument with your friend, so the beers are on you!!!

Thanks for the explanation, now i have to pay the beer! ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fra107 said:

Thanks for the explanation, now i have to pay the beer! ????

While on this topic, about 40 years ago, I met a hippy couple in Egypt who had a 10 yr old son who had never ever been to school. He could speak 5 languages fluently, and could turn a dollar into ten in an instant. A sharp as a razor, and if his parents were killed, he would survive wherever he happened to be. School teaches us to conform, to be put into a slot, and both my kids who are now adult cannot tell me one thing they got from school that has helped them in their adult life. Other cultures offer different perspectives.