Army chief is a thorn in democracy’s side

webfact

Army chief is a thorn in democracy’s side

By The Nation

images.jpg

Apirat’s intolerance bodes ill for a nation trying to climb out from beneath the military’s boot

Army commander-in-chief General Apirat Kongsompong has an attitude problem. Almost from the moment he was promoted to the post, Apirat let his inner bully take charge.

At a time when society was well weary of military rule, he told reporters he would not rule out another coup, should the situation call for it. With an election on the horizon, his remark was a demonstration of how little faith he has in Thailand’s ability to become a full-fledged democracy.

And he didn’t stop there. Apirat, whose fiery nickname is “Big Daeng”, dismissed anyone charged under the lese majeste law as mentally ill. When campaigners in some political parties began suggesting the military budget was too vast, he had Army radio stations start playing a 1970s-vintage patriotic song called “Nak Pandin”, written to denounce Thai supporters of the communist ideology as a “Burden to the Motherland”.

More generically, the song’s title refers to someone who is useless. Apirat’s message to those seeking democratic election to office was that denigrating the Army was an insult to the country.

More recently he locked horns with retired Police General Seripisut Temeyavej, leader of the Seri Ruam Thai Party, who publicly wondered what wars Apirat had fought in to deserve the many medals he wears. Regardless of their provenance, the medals Apirat sports on his regular, daily, battle-dress uniform are normally reserved for Class A dress uniforms. 

Seripisut made his remark after Apirat accused him of insulting another military officer, Lt-Colonel Pakit Phonfak, who was tracking the candidate on the campaign trail in Prachin Buri. Video of Seripisut scolding Pakit in strong language went viral. While most people would question Seripitsut’s volatility and choice of words, there was nothing inaccurate in what he said that day. We can only wonder what legal grounds Apirat might cite if he sues the Seri Ruam Thai Party.

As a politician and a civilian, Seripisut has the right to criticise the Army. He language was coarse and his intention was to humiliate the officer assigned to follow him, but the electorate is smart enough to tell the difference between provocative goading and genuine concern. Apirak suffers by comparison, seeming not to understand his mandated duty. 

He takes such matters far too personally and appears to believe everyone’s trying to undermine his beloved institution.

The duty of a professional soldier is to serve the King and the government and otherwise remain non-partisan. How does that reconcile with engaging in a shouting match with politicians? His conduct undermines efforts to re-establish democracy. He led an oath-swearing ceremony that included a chilling message for the anti-coup camp, coming as it did after pro-junta politicians attacked a party espousing republican principles.

The ceremony saw Apirat present Pakit with a certificate of appreciation for remaining calm in the face of Seripisut’s verbal assault. It was ironic, given that calmness is not Apirat’s forte. 

The junta staged its coup ostensibly to restore peace and democracy. Coup leader Prayut Chan-ocha altered the electoral ground rules so that he stands a good chance of returning to power at the head of an elected civilian government. Yet here is the Army chief fomenting a climate of fear that does no good for the junta, for Prayut’s outlook at the poll or for the country as a whole. We all need to agree to jettison the loose cannons and give democracy an opportunity to bloom.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30365630

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-12

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The duty of a professional soldier is to serve the King and the government and otherwise remain non-partisan.

It's a pity no one mentioned that to Prayut a few years ago, the military are all as bad as each other.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jesimps said:

The usual three or four junta fanboys are quiet these days. No opinions on this new cowboy?

'So what about something which happened ten years ago and has no connection to the OP whatsoever?'

How's that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

The usual three or four junta fanboys are quiet these days. No opinions on this new cowboy?

Probably the same opinion you had about him but you did not give your opinion either just a flame. Do you really think there are people that want to defend this idiot ?

Just for the record being anti Thaksin does not exclude being anti junta. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

In most countries, the mention of coup by an officer will arrested and stand trial for treason. Here in amazing Thailand, it's not just an officer but the army chief warning about a possible coup and getting away with it. The military is holding the country to hostage and holding the country back. If they are not reined in by future elected governments, Thailand will never have peace and stability. .

Eric, i like how you think but you are incorrect. What you said will only happen when a coup fails. When a coup does not fail its business as usual everywhere in the world. 

The winner makes the rules just like in war. 

No I don't like this guy he is totally unsuited, maybe even worse then Prayut. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Eric, i like how you think but you are incorrect. What you said will only happen when a coup fails. When a coup does not fail its business as usual everywhere in the world. 

The winner makes the rules just like in war. 

No I don't like this guy he is totally unsuited, maybe even worse then Prayut. 

What you opine is only reference to Thailand where the military and civilian government separation has been blurred since 1932. In my world, military has zero roles in the affairs of the elected government. When a military officer threaten coup, he will be arrested for espionage which prohibit many forms of speech or abusive language. Coup is not war. How can you be so wrong even if you trying to speak for the Thai military. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

What you opine is only reference to Thailand where the military and civilian government separation has been blurred since 1932. In my world, military has zero roles in the affairs of the elected government. When a military officer threaten coup, he will be arrested for espionage which prohibit many forms of speech or abusive language. Coup is not war. How can you be so wrong even if you trying to speak for the Thai military. 

My opinion is about the difference between failed and successful coups.  If successful nothing will happen if failed someone will end up in jail. Has nothing to do with Thailand just with the way things really work. 

The coups in Thailand succeeded so nobody will ever get punished just as it goes all over the world when a coup is successful. 

I don't say its right or wrong. I am just telling you how it works outside your imaginary world.

Succeed in a coup.. no prosecution, fail in one and things happen the way you describe. 

44 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Showing that you don't understand how things operate differently in different countries and especially when there are folks who have no hesitation (and no morals) to try to gain an amnesty at 3.00 am in the morning when Thailand was asleep, for a convicted criminal who still has some 12 charges of massive corruption unheard, which clearly would have been mysteriously cancelled outside of proper juristic process, if the amnesty had worked.

You clearly support this mob - a thaksin fan boy. 

And I confirm as I have done many times I am just as critical of the current pm as most other folks and I confirm I find this new army leader to be nothing less than dangerous.

Edited by scorecard

It would appear reading between the lines the current Army Chief is suffering from delusions of grandeur , not an uncommon occurrence with Very Senior Officers, but normally most are very polite and look after their troops properly, what I have seen of the Thai Armed forces is almost slavish fawning over a senior officer, so that officer thinks he can say and do what he wants, the underlings will follow no matter what, it is that that is dangerous to democracy , when you have a legally armed force following a little tartar. 

48 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Showing that you don't understand how things operate differently in different countries and especially when there are folks who have no hesitation (and no morals) to try to gain an amnesty at 3.00 am in the morning when Thailand was asleep, for a convicted criminal who still has some 12 charges of massive corruption unheard, which clearly would have been mysteriously cancelled outside of proper juristic process, if the amnesty had worked.

You clearly support this mob - a thaksin fan boy. 

And I confirm as I have done many times I am just as critical of the current pm as most other folks and I confirm I find this new army leader to be nothing less than dangerous.

You not fooling anyone with your superficial skimming critic of the junta. You still a junta boy. What give away was your shortsighted in acknowledging the military shortfalls since 1932 and simply gave a singular poor excuse of an amnesty which didn’t materialized to anything while turning a blind eye to the military self award amnesty. You are an ardent junta supporter all along. 

• Like 2