Ownward Tickets and money tequired for Tourist visa?

Where will you be arriving (land-border, airport, etc), and how much past stay-time in Thailand do you have? 

If someone who has spent longer periods here more frequently, then you have to worry about what location you use to enter the country, and the published-rules/laws not being followed.

But if a short-term/occasional visitor, then just the required 20K baht worth of cash (or travelers checks) is OK.

3 hours ago, stoney79 said:

Are onward tickets and money required for a holder of a tourist visa entering the country??

Yes. Both are a requirement, but they will not be enforced unless the IO is considering whether or not to allow entry.

Usually it is only long term tourists that are asked for proof of the onward flight and or cash.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, ubonjoe said:

A ticket out of the country is not required if you have a valid visa for entry. Proof of the equivalent of 20k baht can be asked for when entering with a visa.

Not exactly right Ubonjoe.

I applied for a SETV in Sydney this week and was refused until I provided a copy of my ticket INTO and OUT Of Thailand plus a bank statement showing the equivalent of 20,000 baht.

I get several SETV's every year in Sydney and have never been asked this before.

46 minutes ago, dean2926 said:

I applied for a SETV in Sydney this week and was refused until I provided a copy of my ticket INTO and OUT Of Thailand plus a bank statement showing the equivalent of 20,000 baht.

I get several SETV's every year in Sydney and have never been asked this before.

Very surprising. I have never obtained setv in Sydney. On their web site they state require flight ticket in AND out of Thailand. Long time since I have needed to apply for setv but always both these flights were required. One eg in Saigon. 

You state.... several setv per year?? Serious

Edited by DrJack54
Error

45 minutes ago, dean2926 said:

The question was what was required by immigration when entering Thailand. @ubonjoe's answer was correct. Consulates often have their own requirements that are separate from those applied by immigration.

1 hour ago, dean2926 said:

I was writing about entry to the country. Applying for a visa is different from that.

Many embassies and consulates require financial proof to get a visa.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:04 AM, ubonjoe said:

A ticket out of the country is not required if you have a valid visa for entry.

Is there any published rule what is required to enter the country? Some embassies (including Washington, DC) do ask for flight ticket and IOs may be validating if he obtained the Visa on false pretext or not. I think the safe bet is to have an onward flight ticket and the 20K money. 

12 hours ago, onera1961 said:

I think the safe bet is to have an onward flight ticket and the 20K money. 

well since you already have a throw away ticket (ie Air Asia, Phkt to KUL or something) that you needed to buy for the embassy, you are going to have it when you enter the country anyway arent you?