Economic future lies in partnering, says Prayut

webfact

Economic future lies in partnering, says Prayut 

By   THE NATION 

033e688d5c6b5a905fad8de3d84583e5.jpeg

PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday shared his proposals for plans and projects that he says would boost investor confidence, including a promise that as the Asian chair this year, the country would drive expansion of the Asean economy to become one of the world’s four largest economic groupings.

Speaking to a seminar held by CLSA Securities (Thailand), Prayut said this was an important year for Thailand. As the Asean chair, it could cooperate with other Asean countries for mutual gain and eventually grow the regional economy to the fourth largest world grouping.

Prayut said he expects to finalise the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) soon. Thailand is also interested in being a member of Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) and other important economic alliances, he said.

Asean will see more connectivity through trade, investment and tourism, along with cooperation in innovation, industrial reform and labour skill development. The Digital Asean concept will also be promoted for technological advancement, higher regional competitiveness and cyber safety, he said.

“The global situation is constantly changing and countries need to partner. Thailand can be an answer for foreign investors as the country is situated in the centre of Asean with a large potential market,” he said.

The Thai government supports infrastructure projects, aiming to consolidate Thailand as a key economic corridor within Asia, he said. In the initial period the government has pushed for special economic zones, particularly the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC), as the region’s trade and investment centre.

In response to a question on the long-term EEC development, Prayut said the government had set an ongoing budget for this project and put it into the 20-year national strategic plan along with the EEC bill and the EEC Office. Foreign investors feel reassured with the planned Digital Park Thailand (EECd) and Eastern Economic Corridor of Innovation (EECi) which will also have continued budget and project assessment on a five-yearly basis.

He said Thailand’s competitiveness will be enhanced through three concepts: extension from the past – the economic roots, identity, culture, tradition, living style and diverse natural resources, along with technology and innovations; adjustment in the present through transportation networks, scientific, technological and digital infrastructure, along with environmental improvement for future industrial and service development; and build-up of new value in the future via increased capacity of business operators, development of new-generation people, along with business remodelling to match market demand amidst rapidly-changing technologies, he said.

Thailand’s development directions are inline with the three-part Asean theme: advancing, partnership and sustainability.

“The private sector will come as a strength to develop Asean, aiming to narrow gaps and grow together for long-term development,” Prayut said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Economy/30365829

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-15

1 hour ago, webfact said:

including a promise that as the Asian chair this year, the country would drive expansion of the Asean economy to become one of the world’s four largest economic groupings.

he can't even grow thailand's economy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Thailand will partner with any country that provides envelopes (preferably pink)

to provide an economic future to the ruling class, the rich, the privileged and all cronies associated with them.

This will trickle down to the lesser minions, if you happen to work in immigration, the army and police and so on. 

No scraps are left to the poor farmers, land rich but cash poor or your average worker on 380  baht a day.

Try living on 380 baht a day. This is the wage of most people, 7 days a week.

I can not help but wonder where you gained your knowledge ? Was it on Thai visa or jungles of isaan?

most people do not earn 380 baht a day, this is minimum wage not average wage. 

If 380 was most people as you claim then highly unlikely Bangkok would be grid locked for 20 hours per day with new cars. 

16 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Pretty much motherhood statements with no clear cut policies. That's what you get from a soldier masquerading as a technocrat. Just like recent PR stunt; you ain't fooling anyone.  

Do not hold me to it , could have been fake news but about 2 weeks ago there was a post on Facebook in Thai, quoting junta policies if elected and one idea that had was to totally stop outflow of money by changing law and not allowing any foreign ownership at all, ie not even 49%

because they felt foreign owned company’s make profits and send it back to its origins. 

When I first read I would not believe it but then I thought of Zimbabwe , so  all is possible 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

As the Asean chair, it could cooperate with other Asean countries for mutual gain and eventually grow the regional economy to the fourth largest world grouping

The Chairmanship of ASEAN should be voted on by members and based on ability and merit of the leaders and the economic performance of their own countries rather than rotation. If that were the criteria coup leader Prayut and Thailand would have a snowballs chance in hell of holding the Chair.

Edited by Cadbury
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BestB said:

I can not help but wonder where you gained your knowledge ? Was it on Thai visa or jungles of isaan?

most people do not earn 380 baht a day, this is minimum wage not average wage. 

If 380 was most people as you claim then highly unlikely Bangkok would be grid locked for 20 hours per day with new cars. 

Obviously I do not live in the polluted and gridlocked scam that is Bangkok.

I live where all non city people earn 380 baht every day for the 7 days they work.

The cost of living is less and they can subsidise the cost by growing a few bananas and vegetables.

"Jungles of Issan" shows just how ignorant and out of touch, if not prejudiced you are.

I live 2 hours from Bangkok and I wish it was 6 for all the pollution that comes from there.

Choke on it 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BestB said:

Ease of getting credit for a car and Yingluck's first car scheme is to be blamed for those.

7 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thailand will be as uncompetitive in 10 years as they are today. 

More so. Robots will replace unqualified humans. Fourth industrial revolution is already well on it's way. Thailand will be a big loser.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Didn’t he said that he will shut down the country just after the coup. Thats from someone with ditatorial power and extreme right may do. Thailand will head to the cliff if he gets the next 4 years. 

This is what I was thinking. So all the car makers , all the big boys like Toyota , Honda , Samsung all will be thrown out?

what then? As I suggested repeat of Zimbabwe

and the thing is as silly as it sounds it is feasible, just look at what he did with Kaosan road, admittedly on small scale but that was just a start.

May also explain all the hunts on foreigners and expats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Ease of getting credit for a car and Yingluck's first car scheme is to be blamed for those.

I almost agree with you. New cars bought yesterday, driven by non skilled drivers is the norm.

But the daughter of my wife (she is my daughter but not by birth and she is happy to call me father, not papa)

has purchased her first car. An old Toyota. And it takes all her salary and help from a friend to pay for it.