800k Baht Requirement For (retirement) Extension Of Non O Visa

I will be applying for my first extension this May. My accounts will show well over 800k in Thailand over the last 3 months. But the vast majority of the money is on deposit maturing january 08; only some 400k will show in a savings account at the time of application. Any part of the deposit however can be withdrawn - there would be a loss of interest penalty of course, but the money is available at any time.

So far as I can discover there are only vague and ambiguous answers as to whether immigration will accept deposits as part of the cash requirement. Does anyone have a definitive answer on the basis of an actual, recent application showing a deposit as a sunstantial part of the 800k? In Chiang Mai would be even better.

If the answer is that they won't accept it, I will move deposit money into savings beforehand and thus improve my chances with immigration.

I hope someone can relieve my mind on this.

I will be applying for my first extension this May. My accounts will show well over 800k in Thailand over the last 3 months. But the vast majority of the money is on deposit maturing january 08; only some 400k will show in a savings account at the time of application. Any part of the deposit however can be withdrawn - there would be a loss of interest penalty of course, but the money is available at any time.

So far as I can discover there are only vague and ambiguous answers as to whether immigration will accept deposits as part of the cash requirement. Does anyone have a definitive answer on the basis of an actual, recent application showing a deposit as a sunstantial part of the 800k? In Chiang Mai would be even better.

If the answer is that they won't accept it, I will move deposit money into savings beforehand and thus improve my chances with immigration.

This is not clear as some immigration offices wil acept it others will not. Even within the same immigration office it might depend on the officer.

As there is no way they will refuse your extension if you cna show the 800k for more than 3 months before application and if the interrest is important to you, I would applu well in time (between 3-4 weeks before expiry of your extension of stay) and try with the accounts as they are. Remember you will need the books, books copies AND statements for the bank(s) that match the book(s) balance(s)

Bangkok seems the more flexible for deposit accounts compared to up country immigration offices

Goodluck and let us know how it goes

I have not seen anyone on retirement mention a problem using fixed deposit accounts and the fact you have a considerable potion in a savings account at time of application should put you on even firmer ground. If you are concerned pay a visit to immigration and ask them directly. For those still using the 400k wife support option I believe fixed deposit would be questioned by most officials.

Personal experience, on the 27th of February - just 3 days ago at the Suan Plu Immigration office. I have 2 accounts, fixed deposit and regular savings, at Bangkok Bank. When I went to the bank to get the letter confirming my account balances, I simply had them include both account balance details in a single letter. This was the first time I had applied for my retirement renewal using multiple accounts, previously I had only a regular savings account. I was also a little concerned about whether or not this was acceptable, having seen someone posting of problems here on the forum. Anyway, I had absoutely no problem, another good experience at Thai Immigration. The only thing I'll add is that I was informed that on my next renewal, I must have the 800k on deposit for 90 days prior to submitting for my annual extension.

Understand about the 800,000 baht being in my account 90 days prior to my next (5th.) retirement extension to prove that I’m living from these funds, but does the 800,000 still have to be in the account 3 months later at the time of renewal, or is it ok if it has gone down somewhat due to living expenses?

Enquired about this at Jomtien immigration at my last signing in December, but the officer wasn’t sure.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Mike.

I believe at least 800K does still need to be there at the day of application. Anyone have an actual experience to the contrary? Personally, I wouldn't dare show up there with even one satang under! Rules is rules.

Edited by Jingthing

Understand about the 800,000 baht being in my account 90 days prior to my next (5th.) retirement extension to prove that I’m living from these funds, but does the 800,000 still have to be in the account 3 months later at the time of renewal, or is it ok if it has gone down somewhat due to living expenses?

Enquired about this at Jomtien immigration at my last signing in December, but the officer wasn’t sure.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Mike.

I specifically asked this question just a few days ago at Suan Plu when I did my renewal. The answer was, your balance cannot dip below 800k for 90 days prior to submitting for renewal (which may be different than the expiry date).

This is not clear as some immigration offices wil acept it others will not. Even within the same immigration office it might depend on the officer.

As there is no way they will refuse your extension if you cna show the 800k for more than 3 months before application and if the interrest is important to you, I would applu well in time (between 3-4 weeks before expiry of your extension of stay) and try with the accounts as they are. Remember you will need the books, books copies AND statements for the bank(s) that match the book(s) balance(s)

Bangkok seems the more flexible for deposit accounts compared to up country immigration offices

Goodluck and let us know how it goes

Do I understand then that if I am refused because they refuse to count my deposit account money I can withdraw/move sufficient funds from the deposit into the savings account so as to make up the 800k and then re-apply - and then they must grant the extension? (In other words the 800k doesn't have to have been in a non-deposit account for the entire 3 months.)

I do intend to apply with at least a month in hand, so I can certainly take that course of action.

I have not seen anyone on retirement mention a problem using fixed deposit accounts and the fact you have a considerable potion in a savings account at time of application should put you on even firmer ground. If you are concerned pay a visit to immigration and ask them directly.

I would have 300k+ in savings; the rest - taking the total well above 800k - on deposit. I guess I should mosey over to ask them - it's just that they have a youngster at the information window and his responses to my experience haven't always been reliable/helpful. (I once asked about the correction of a mistaken 30 stamp on my passport - should have been 90 days - and he said nothing could be done. I went to CM airport immigration office - just in case - and they courteously investigated and corrected it.)

Personal experience, on the 27th of February - just 3 days ago at the Suan Plu Immigration office. I have 2 accounts, fixed deposit and regular savings, at Bangkok Bank. When I went to the bank to get the letter confirming my account balances, I simply had them include both account balance details in a single letter.

So the bank letter just stated a total balance without specifying more; and they accepted that although the accompanying bank books would have shown that some money was on deposit. In other words the bank letter, not the bank books, is the governing document. Well I'll certainly ask my bank to do a similar letter; don't know if they (SCB) will comply.

I thnak everyone for their info. Had hoped someone from Chiang Mai would have come in with an actual such extension.

I'll report back - in May when I've applied; or sooner with any info I get at CM immigration.

Personal experience, on the 27th of February - just 3 days ago at the Suan Plu Immigration office. I have 2 accounts, fixed deposit and regular savings, at Bangkok Bank. When I went to the bank to get the letter confirming my account balances, I simply had them include both account balance details in a single letter.

So the bank letter just stated a total balance without specifying more; and they accepted that although the accompanying bank books would have shown that some money was on deposit. In other words the bank letter, not the bank books, is the governing document. Well I'll certainly ask my bank to do a similar letter; don't know if they (SCB) will comply.

I had a single bank letter including details for both accounts, not added together. There was no difference between the letter and the bank books.

I had a single bank letter including details for both accounts, not added together. There was no difference between the letter and the bank books.

OK. So the letter did show that one amount was a deposit account and that didn't cause a problem.

Thanks for the input; hope Chiang Mai will be as easy going about this.

Nobody at Chiang Mai said anything about the 90 day rule. What that means is that you need about a million baht in the account to get you through to extension day ie 800k plus whatever you need till you extend (minimum 2 months living expenses).

I was led to believe that the rule didn't apply to those extending but to first timers.

It applies to all but has not been strictly enforced yet for those on renewals as many people are not yet aware of the change.

The rule is above 800k - you can freely use any amount above that at any time during the 3 months and you can freely bring in money during those months - just keep the on deposit amount above 800k during this period. Again - that is for the future - if you are doing a renewal there probably will not be a problem until they are sure you have received the word on the 3 month requirement - do don't think you are dead meat and fail to try.

It applies to all but has not been strictly enforced yet for those on renewals as many people are not yet aware of the change.

The rule is above 800k - you can freely use any amount above that at any time during the 3 months and you can freely bring in money during those months - just keep the on deposit amount above 800k during this period. Again - that is for the future - if you are doing a renewal there probably will not be a problem until they are sure you have received the word on the 3 month requirement - do don't think you are dead meat and fail to try.

We have been told by the Pattaya Office that as long as 800,00 bahts is in our account on the day of the report, this is ok. The 800,000 baht rule applies only for the first timer.

So we will see in March and report the outcome here.

It is difficult to answer your question because in Chiang Mai the rules will be interpreted differently by different officers. That has been my experience.

For example I presented my bank account and letter from the bank showing around 1,500,000 baht (over 1m for at least six months). The officer told me he could not accept that as it was a current account! He asked for a copy of my savings account "The rule book says you must have money in a savings account". I explained that I'd had a current account for over ten years at that bank and had never opened a savings account. He told me to go and open one and come back. Rules is rules!

Ridiculous? Yes of course it is. To add insult to injury when I returned hours later with my brand new savings account book I got a different officer. When the story was explained, that officer said that the current account would have been fine.

Conclusion? If I were you I'd go to Immigration in person and ask politely for a ruling from the most senior officer available. Be sure to take their name. Then follow that advice and if on the day you get another officer who contradicts the former advice, you can at least call the more senior officer to adjudicate.

Good luck

I applied for my first extension at Jomtien last October and used my Krung Thai deposit account book with a leter from the bank saying how long it was in. I couldn't take the money out until this May without losing interest, but had no problem.

GezT

It is difficult to answer your question because in Chiang Mai the rules will be interpreted differently by different officers. That has been my experience.

For example I presented my bank account and letter from the bank showing around 1,500,000 baht (over 1m for at least six months). The officer told me he could not accept that as it was a current account! He asked for a copy of my savings account "The rule book says you must have money in a savings account". I explained that I'd had a current account for over ten years at that bank and had never opened a savings account. He told me to go and open one and come back. Rules is rules!

Ridiculous? Yes of course it is. To add insult to injury when I returned hours later with my brand new savings account book I got a different officer. When the story was explained, that officer said that the current account would have been fine.

Conclusion? If I were you I'd go to Immigration in person and ask politely for a ruling from the most senior officer available. Be sure to take their name. Then follow that advice and if on the day you get another officer who contradicts the former advice, you can at least call the more senior officer to adjudicate.

Good luck

Thanks for the account of CM experience and suggestion. Yes I will make a preliminary visit to get advice as you suggest.

I applied for my first extension at Jomtien last October and used my Krung Thai deposit account book with a leter from the bank saying how long it was in. I couldn't take the money out until this May without losing interest, but had no problem.

GezT

Well your post is the closest to my own circumstances and if that proves to be Chiangmai's approach too I'll be home and dry. Thanks troubling to post the encouraging account.

I had one question. Should the bank letter specify that the relevant money was all remitted from overseas in currency? (This is actually the case. But I ask first so as to avoid a deficient bank letter; but secondly to check whether in future I could use my UK atm card to draw cash and deposit that in my thai savings account towards requirements of future extension letters.)

• 3 weeks later...

Renewed my Retirement Visa yesterday at BKK, showing only...

Letter + Statement of Fixed 5yr deposit maturing July 08....

This is all i have at that Bank.. [HSBC]

I did take my Passbook/photocopies of my Savings Accounts and Visa accounts, at Bangkok Bank & Siam Commercial Bank, but was not asked for them..

I drive in to BKK and park at HSBC, then take 40baht taxi as it is always to difficult to find parking at Immergration

A friend last week was told by Jomtien Immigration that his third retirement renewal application was not going to be accepted because his letter of two million baht in a Thai investment account and his 700,000 in his Thai current account was not lawful under the current laws.

He made a 100,000 baht transfer a few days later and got his extension, even though it had not been in for three months previous.

I asked Jomtien immigration at my last signing if I had to have at least 800,0000 in three months before for my fifth extensionin July, and also at time of application and they confirmed positive.

The exchange rate is not good at the moment, and as I’m going back to the UK for a holiday in 5 days, and wonder if it is better to get another Non imm O visa from Hull and start again from scratch in three months.

Mike.

A friend last week was told by Jomtien Immigration that his third retirement renewal application was not going to be accepted because his letter of two million baht in a Thai investment account and his 700,000 in his Thai current account was not lawful under the current laws.

On my 1st Retirement Visa from Thailand, my Current Cheque account with a balance of 6.4 million was not accepted, they stated that a current account was not lawful, they suggested I put 800,000 into a Fixed Account… I did and this was accepted.

Friday 23rd March I got my 4th Retirement Visa, showing only the Fixed Account with 800,000.

From what I understand we have to have 800,000, so we can show that we will not be a burden on Thailand for the next year as we have funds….. The new Law of having the 800,000 in the account 3 month before renewal is to stop the people from putting the 800,000 into an account the day before, and withdrawing it the day after renewal of the Visa….

Some people will borrow the money for a few days……. Other do not like the VERY poor interest rate….. Even a Fixed Rate account is very poor in a Thai Bank….. On a Thai investment Plan I get 8.5% interest.. This sort of plan is NOT accepted by Immigration.

Without knowing the type of "investment" this has no meaning. Was it a stock account? Mutual fund? These would not be secure investments so would not expect them to be allowed. But every report I have seen that mentioned a bank fixed deposit account by name has been approved.

I'm puzzled why a "current cheque" account was not acceptable and was deemed "not lawful".

I thought the base criteria for the type of acceptable bank accounts was that the funds had to be accessible, and not locked up and untouchable, e.g. a municipal bond that matures in five years. Assuming that the "rationale" for having the B800,000 in a Thai bank is to show that you will not be a financial burden on the kingdom, why wouldn't a current/checking account be acceptable?

The "not lawful" comment sounds like such accounts are illegal in Thailand. (?)

I'm puzzled why a "current cheque" account was not acceptable and was deemed "not lawful".

I thought the base criteria for the type of acceptable bank accounts was that the funds had to be accessible, and not locked up and untouchable, e.g. a municipal bond that matures in five years. Assuming that the "rationale" for having the B800,000 in a Thai bank is to show that you will not be a financial burden on the kingdom, why wouldn't a current/checking account be acceptable?

Don't be puzzled. It depends on the immigration officer you meet that day

If you think you are 'right' just smile and try anotehr immigration office or the same office at another time to get another officer.

Good luck

Don't be puzzled. It depends on the immigration officer you meet that day

If you think you are 'right' just smile and try anotehr immigration office or the same office at another time to get another officer.

Good luck

The rules are 'there are no rules' TiT :o

YES, wounder why a Bank will open an account that is illegal in Thailand....

Saying that I did open the account in Thailand via my UK Bank in 1995, as it was just easier to have the money already here for my 6 week holidays to Thailand each year