Thailand looks to India for new wave of high spending senior citizen tourists

snoop1130

On 3/20/2019 at 8:48 PM, Spidey said:

Totally agree with everything you say.

However, the point of my post was that, although my wife has never tried Indian food, she still refers to it as kee kaek. That's the level of disdain Thais have for Indians.

However, in her defence, I have tried a couple of Indian restaurants in Pattaya and kee kaek wasn't far off the mark.

Yeah, have not found an Indian with decent fare in Pattaya; but then, Pattaya is not really known for its culinary achievements - or am I wrong? 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/18/2019 at 7:39 PM, mokwit said:

Well at least we know who we are being pushed out to make room for.

It seems the "high class, high paying" Chinese have not been as fruitful as first stated.

The Indians are even more frugal than the Chinese.

Every time I front up to provincial immigration, they ask my wife why I stay here.

Not with malice, but with disbelief.

I love it here, but there is no doubt that upfront democratic persons that express amazement and

derision at the Thai political system are not wanted here. I love the true culture here, but that

is fading away as fast as western expats.

It seems the "high class, high paying" Chinese have not been as fruitful as first stated.
Every time I front up to provincial immigration, they ask my wife why I stay here.
I love it here, but there is no doubt that upfront democratic persons that express amazement and
derision at the Thai political system are not wanted here. I love the true culture here, but that
Fading away is a good expression. I know a few Swiss guys. They are telling me all the Swiss "meeting points" are gone in Bangkok and Pattaya. Only maybe one or two left. And there are no new ones coming anymore. Well, things are changing ;)

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ravip said:

So, is it right to say that most aliens, from the 'developed' world that come to live in the undeveloped part of the world are basically forced to do so?

Not really, everyone can have a decent life, but when I lived in Norway I could not go out and eat in nice restaurants every week, my salary forced me to eat at home. But we had a nice apartment, but you would stay home most of the time to save money.

Combine that with the terrible weather at times and Thailand sounds like a much better deal. My outdoor activities has increased after I moved here.  Swimming pool and gym in our condo would be impossible to find in my country , only for the rich . 

On 3/18/2019 at 7:46 PM, fforest1 said:

Thailand had loads of high spending westerners for decades until they decided to trade them in for millions of zero dollar Chinese tourist.. 

Don't tell me there aren't that many Malaysian tourists in Thailand? Or you guys couldn't differentiate between a Malaysian Chinese and a Mainland Chinese? I thought tourist arrivals from Malaysia is ranked number 2?

On 3/19/2019 at 7:22 PM, joecoolfrog said:

You are forgetting that the Thais proudly ( and somewhat eroneously) boast that they were never colonised.

No, they just surrenderd to the Japanese without putting up any kind of resistance, in fact, as I recall the history, they invited the Japanese in.  The Japanese then put two armies into Thailand. If that isn't colonisation, then I don't know what is. 

11 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Really? They has such a high opinion of you?

Is it ONLY you? Non of the other foreigners around?

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

No, they just surrenderd to the Japanese without putting up any kind of resistance, in fact, as I recall the history, they invited the Japanese in.  The Japanese then put two armies into Thailand. If that isn't colonisation, then I don't know what is. 

Maybe Thailand invited the Japanese in to keep the British (British Burmese) out of the country, in order to stay neutral in WW2. That's tricky, but it obviously worked out. Thailand was never a Japanese colony, and it was never a British colony. 

5 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Maybe Thailand invited the Japanese in to keep the British (British Burmese) out of the country, in order to stay neutral in WW2. That's tricky, but it obviously worked out. Thailand was never a Japanese colony, and it was never a British colony. 

That's certainly a novel interpretation of the Japanese occupation of Thailand during the Second World War

15 minutes ago, micmichd said:

That is a very wild assumption and not supported by the history. The British never had any intentions towards Thailand and by that time, were in no state to protect Burma let alone move East.  They invited the Japanese into Thailand because the alternative was inevitable invasion and subjugation. They collaborated  and were occupied in order to avoid a confrontation. Sound familiar?   Oh, forgot to add, and that is not neutrality. 

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That is a very wild assumption and not supported by the history. The British never had any intentions towards Thailand and by that time, were in no state to protect Burma let alone move East.  They invited the Japanese into Thailand because the alternative was inevitable invasion and subjugation. They collaborated  and were occupied in order to avoid a confrontation. Sound familiar?   Oh, forgot to add, and that is not neutrality. 

Better than to become a second Manchuria colonized by an axis power. 

Anyway, WW2 is over now, isn't it?

6 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Better than to become a second Manchuria colonized by an axis power. 

Anyway, WW2 is over now, isn't it?

what is the saying:  'those that ignore the lessons of history are fated to repeat the same mistakes'. How true. 

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

what is the saying:  'those that ignore the lessons of history are fated to repeat the same mistakes'. How true. 

'Never start industrialization with ressources from a foreign country' - is that what you mean?

15 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's good advice. Exactly why China is buying off the countries for itself first.

China is probably the biggest hardware producer in the world now (followed by India and other Asian countries), and they produce the infrastructure for supply to consumers. For consumers in the West (still) 

What is the West actually producing except paper money and idle talk about "Western values"? 

2 hours ago, micmichd said:

This country would be far better developed if it had been a British colony.  ????

Just now, Swedenlars said:

Rubbish ? What about Malaysia, far ahead of Thailand.

You are claiming Malaysia's success to colonialism? ROFLMAO

Some attitude, this is.

You are claiming Malaysia's success to colonialism? ROFLMAO
Some attitude, this is.
Well, what can I say. It is not easy to convince ignorant persons. I have lived and worked 4 years in Penang. If you have as well and you are still have the same opinion about Malayisia, then I would really call you ignorant.

7 hours ago, micmichd said:

China is probably the biggest hardware producer in the world now (followed by India and other Asian countries), and they produce the infrastructure for supply to consumers. For consumers in the West (still) 

What is the West actually producing except paper money and idle talk about "Western values"? 

The west produces brains, so India and China can make the stuff.

The west (mostly the descendants of German tribes) actually invented everything that makes modern civilisation.

59 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The west produces brains, so India and China can make the stuff.

The west (mostly the descendants of German tribes) actually invented everything that makes modern civilisation.

Is this chart going to change your view?

20170202_STEM.jpg

8 hours ago, Swedenlars said:

Rubbish ? What about Malaysia, far ahead of Thailand.

If you look at all the countries in Southeast Asia, you would notice that the countries with the highest number of Chinese in percentage terms are the most successful: 1. Singapore (74% Chinese) 2. Malaysia (25% Chinese) 3. Thailand (10 to 14% Chinese) 4. Brunei (10% Chinese)

On 3/18/2019 at 7:29 PM, Dnyy said:

Does anyone know what counts as high spending? How much is that in Baht per day? 10,000? 20,000? 50,000?

Brits spend about 70,000bt in Thailand, on average, according to an article I recently read, that's per holiday not per day. They're considered in the high spending quartile. That's 10,000bt a day for a week (which sounds about right for a single man), or 5000bt a day for a fortnight (which sounds about right for a family - no bar fines, etc.).

On 3/21/2019 at 10:50 PM, Bangkokazy said:

TAT say.

1395917245-1150863102-o.jpg

My wife translated it for me. It means use the hose to wash your behind and not put paper in the toilet. Because the toilet can not process paper rolls.

I could translate for Aussies.

Don't put dunny paper into the toilet, wash your arse with the bidet water stream, 

wipe your arse with tissue to remove the water residue and place paper in the bin provided in the bin

6 hours ago, Selatan said:

Is this chart going to change your view?

20170202_STEM.jpg

Delhi has more graduates than any other city in the world per head of population. However the vast majority buy their degrees without even setting foot in a university. Not worth the paper they are written on.

Also, average IQ in India = 82. UK= 100. That's a huge difference in terms of IQ. Thailand=91. That should tell you everything you need to know about the average intelligence of Indians.

Archived