Escape From Chiang Mai - Recommendation needed

lucky2008

Hi Pattaya people

As most of you already know Chiang Mai is close to declaring a State of emergency as air pollution is hitting disastrous levels. 

We have decided to fly down to Pattaya so now I'm looking for somewhere nice to stay for the next 1-2 weeks.   

Ideally we want something kid friendly, apartment like, with a small kitchenette and swimming pool if possible. 

Ideally we would like to stay under 1200THB pn. 

Please be so kind to share your recommendations. 

Edited by lucky2008
Added nightly budget

37 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have found them to be the oldest group of any expat retirees in the country.

And if you think sitting around with a bunch of old negative complainers is "classy", glad you enjoy it.

If I recall correctly, some of your posts have been classy too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Pattaya is mainly bars and ladies of the night (unless you are unlucky enough to encounter a ladyboy). Not suitable if you have kids. Try Jomtien just past Pattaya.

Really?

Quite a few of us expats live in the greater Pattaya area having kids and live a normal family life (in a house).

We live in north Pattaya and we prefer this area over Jomtien.

Try go to Naklua town in north Pattaya, very friendly/helpful shop owners, cheap food & not many tourist around, great area.

Yes choose your friends carefully and you will be fine as apply for all over the world.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gamini said:

I remember many years ago 250 million, bt was allocated to deal with the air pollution.

But absolutely nothing was done. All they had to do with the equip helicopters with water tanks and the moment they spotted a fire just doused them with water from the tanks.

There seems no political will to control the fires that start. All the money is spent on other things.  Huge fines and imprisonment for those who  burn is the only answer.

Unfortunately I had to leave because both my wife and I started having respiratory problems.

I left so many nice friends behind because Chiangmai is definitely the best place to retire. Many of the expats have got class, unlike the riffraff in most other places

Negative social media seems to be the only thing that moves this government so gather your classy friends and start posting to any and all tourist related sites and especially Facebook. Unless of course suicide by suffocating is also classy.

On 3/31/2019 at 8:30 AM, Henryford said:

I can't understand why anyone would choose to live in Chiang mai.

because they are chinese ???? 

I did it for 7 months last year and highly regretted it, khao soi gai was good but

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, sfokevin said:

With kids I would suggest Cha Am/Hua Hin as a more kid friendly place... Check out AirBnB... many houses in your price range - a few with pools... put in 2 week time frame to get a more discounted price...

Agree 100%. Unless OP has been to Pattaya before, it may be a shock and it really isn't a place for kids, unless staying far away from the waterfront. I hope the OP knows that the sea water is a health hazard. I heard Jomptien sea is polluted as well . Back in the day I used to go over to Jomptien to swim, but I'd not risk it now. Koh Larn is supposed to have good seawater, but the place is way too crowded with the Chinese day trippers to be enjoyable.

I'm surprised that the OP is thinking C M will be safe in only a few weeks time. I thought it went on for months. Anyway, remember that condos are only legally rentable for a month minimum.

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Agree Jomtien or Naklua as opposed to central Pattaya, more likely to find family centred places there. Songkran is craziest around 19th-20th, prior to then it's probably on a similar par with Chiang Mai. 

I remember C M as having only 3 days- could be wrong. Anyway I stocked up with food and never went out till it was over. I had no desire to have polluted moat water thrown over me.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I remember C M as having only 3 days- could be wrong. Anyway I stocked up with food and never went out till it was over. I had no desire to have polluted moat water thrown over me.

I thought it was about 5 or 6 days up there, but I might be wrong too. Certainly though, any place like CM that harbours a lot of backpackers is crazy at Songkran time - Khaosan road is one of the worst areas in Bangkok for it. 

I live in CM; Songkran two years ago when I was here was 5 full days (13th to 17th) and on the 12th it started in the afternoon and big splashing parties in the evening.

I wanted to ask you guys about the Jomtien/Na Klua area in Pattaya. Because it is a hassle to organize leaving CM for 3 months every year, I am thinking about moving to Pattaya to have an easier life.  I love CM but it is just getting to much effort, yearly I have to plan everything ahead with my visa so my extension or 90d report will not be in the smog-period. Not always possible.

I am doing some research  and I found many topics here where people complained about smog in December / January in Pattaya. Was this a one-time thing or is it a regular/yearly occurrence? Just want to avoid moving/planning just to find out there is too much pollution as well.

Reading about all the Pattaya expats who got air purifiers did not convince me. If I had to leave Pattaya for 2 months every year, then it is not worth it; same effort and hassle like CM. Maybe some of you guys who have been living there for a longer time, can tell me ????