Being Polite: Army to teach Patong tuk-tuk, taxi drivers manners after vicious beating of tourists

rooster59

Being Polite: Army to teach Patong tuk-tuk, taxi drivers manners after vicious beating of tourists 

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1554458169_1-org.jpg

Army personnel speaks with tuk-tuk drivers on Patong’s beachfront road. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: Royal Thai Army soldiers based in Phuket will call in tuk-tuk and taxi drivers in Patong for an “attitude adjustment” briefing after two tourists were viciously beaten in the tourism town last week.

The training session, politely called “public transport training for drivers – tut-tuk, taxi and motorbike taxi as the better service”, is being orchestrated by the Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO).

In the attack at about 11pm last Thursday (Mar 28), six public transport drivers – comprising taxi drivers, tuk-tuk drivers and at least one motorcycle taxi driver – beat two male tourists from the UAE to the ground in the middle of Pracha Nukroh Rd in front of Malin Plaza in Patong.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/being-polite-army-to-teach-patong-tuk-tuk-taxi-drivers-manners-after-vicious-beating-of-tourists-70994.php#cX8UotGGCRfUpOCK.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-04-06

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

To have the military to teach about manners and attitude to civilians tells you something very wrong in the Thai culture......

It's getting worse 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

why only phuket....the majority of taxi drivers, nationwide, needs to be taught attitude adjustment

You're so wrong. Get outside of the tourist areas and the taxi drivers are, like, pretty decent chaps. 

• Confused 2

34 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

To have the military to teach about manners and attitude to civilians tells you something very wrong in the Thai culture......

I find the Army and Navy people fine, polite and accommodating. it's the Police that piss me off. 

• Like 1

The worse “tuk tuk” or songtaew drivers in all of Thailand are in Phuket. These mafia drivers are like toxic vultures ready to take advantage of innocent tourists. These nasty individuals are loud, bossy, rude, cheaters and certainly give Thailand a negative impression. Teaching this particular ethnic group from South Thailand manners or honest values is beyond their comprehension. Sorry, I will walk a couple kilometers before I deal with these scumbags. ( Another frustration visiting Phuket.) 

• Sad 1