US, Thailand conduct anti-submarine exercises off Phuket

webfact

US, Thailand conduct anti-submarine exercises off Phuket

By The Phuket News

1554701572_1-org.jpg

The Guardian Sea exercises yesterday (Apr 7) also saw the Royal Thai Navy contingent fire a C-802A anti-ship missile as part of the drills. Photo: Royal Thai Navy

PHUKET: The Royal Thai Navy and the USS Navy have begun conducting peace-keeping drills in the Andaman Sea under the the eighth iteration of the Guardian Sea exercises, which include a nuclear-powered US Navy Los Angeles-class fast attack submarine.

The opening ceremony of the exercises was held aboard the RTN frigate HTMS Bhumibol Adulyadej yesterday (Apr 7), led by Royal Thai Navy (RTN) Rear Admiral Kamjorn Charoenkiat joined by Capt Samarn Khunthapon.

The Los Angeles-class submarine, not identified in reports, and underway replenishment oiler USNS Guadaloupe along with two RTN frigates, a corvette and a Sea Hawk helicopter will participate in over a dozen drills, designed to incorporate shared techniques in real-world at-sea environments.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/us-thailand-conduct-anti-submarine-exercises-off-phuket-71016.php#x1DhY5eyR899qYfh.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-04-08

11 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

What did the Thais do? Push the launch button on the US Navy ship? :cheesy:

The rocket festival is next month in Yasothon.

edit: since posting this I see Thailand has a few guided missile ships. So that is cool.

I also see they have a group of ships called "Hua Hin class ships". So the crew is retired and the bar girls are really old? 

But will that stop them going down after firing off a few blanks?

Edited by Reigntax
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

What did the Thais do? Push the launch button on the US Navy ship? :cheesy:

The rocket festival is next month in Yasothon.

edit: since posting this I see Thailand has a few guided missile ships. So that is cool.

I also see they have a group of ships called "Hua Hin class ships". So the crew is retired and the bar girls are really old? 

I'm confused.  The C-802A is an anti ship missile and this was test fired during an anti submarine exercise.  Aren't submarines normally under the water?  Mind you it is Chinese made and I'm sure there will be a wealth of technical data to be had from monitoring its launch and operating systems.

• Like 2