How Far Back Can You Remember In Your Life?

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

No no it's a thread about the benefits of mouse shock.

When I first moved out to the Orient, I stayed in a Company flat in Kowloon.  One of our colleagues came out with his daughter, and his wife, who was a bit sensitive.  My wife took their daughter on an excursion to the local shops for essential supplies, and the daughter loved the adventure of it:

"Mummy, mummy, we saw a mouse THAT SIZE!"

We had to roll the wicket carefully lest she see the resident geckos

"Geckos are great; they eat the cockroaches - not that we have cockroaches, mind - but geckos are great"

Then the boss came in "I've just seen a fokin lizard this big!" 

Anyway, he never brought his wife again.  I'm not sure if my colleague ever came again either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can remember running around the school playground, arms outstretched playing Spitfires and Messerschmitts, John Pertwee as Doctor Who, Chirpy Chirpy Cheep by Middle of the Road is the earliest song I remember... Unfortunate memories as well, The Bay City Rollers and Dutch Elm disease took a terrible toll on Britain 

• Like 1

I musta been about 3 and at our small house outside of Nashville with a walnut tree in the back yard I remember collecting walnuts that had fallen to the ground with my mom...a very clear black and white image and very bergmanesque it musta been early fall...then we took the walnuts into the basement and my mom showed me how to crack them with a small ball peen hammer that my dad had...my dad had that hammer until I was into my 20s and whenever I saw it lying around that memory came back very clearly as he took his tools with him when he split with my mom...

also about the same time I remember my folks putting tabasco on my thumb so I wouldn't suck it...but I learned how to wash it off soon enough...I've had an underbite all my life, and a taste for tabasco, mom was a country girl from Bolivia and liked her food with picante...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

2 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

lso about the same time I remember my folks putting tabasco on my thumb so I wouldn't suck it...but I learned how to wash it off soon enough...I've had an underbite all my life, and a taste for tabasco, mom was a country girl from Bolivia and liked her food with picante...

Had to laugh at that.

My Mom used to put bitter aloes on my fingernails, to try to get me to stop biting my nails. 

Trouble is, 50 odd years later, I'm still biting my nails, and I have a curious taste for all things 'bitter'

• Like 2

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You could only remember back to when you were 7 or 8??

When I was eight years old, I found a dead rat, I put it in my pocket, went on the bus, took the rat out of my pocket and walked up the passage showing it to everyone, the screaming caused the bus to stop so I dropped the rat then ran away.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I also remember my first day at school aged 6. And events right through to age 18. Then I discovered ganja  so events in that  period are vague with the exception of getting married.

My worry is  that I will regress to only remembering age 6 or less! Then it will  confirm I am suffering severe  dementia.

Why  have you asked  this question?

I just thought it would be very interesting, and it seems I have been proved right.

10 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

I can remember running around the school playground, arms outstretched playing Spitfires and Messerschmitts, John Pertwee as Doctor Who, Chirpy Chirpy Cheep by Middle of the Road is the earliest song I remember... Unfortunate memories as well, The Bay City Rollers and Dutch Elm disease took a terrible toll on Britain 

The Bay City Rollers were to being musicians that Peltin Elton was to singing. :cheesy:

There was an American girl in my class, maybe we 6..

She told me about how one day she went into the kitchen, her mum was drunk?, & had been sick all over the counter.

She said:

"Daddy's dead".

He was in the army - must have been in Vietnam.

I felt so sad for her.

It was my first knowledge of death.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I was 4. There were a family of Chinamen living upstairs. The boy was about 6. He had an action figure, like a humanoid water monster with webbed hands. He said it was going to come alive and attack me. I ran out of his apartment, and went down the stairwell crying.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2019 at 7:51 AM, possum1931 said:

Can you name almost every child who was in your class when you started school at five years old?

Yes.

How Far Back Can You Remember In Your Life?

My first – or oldest – memory is from 2-3 years of age – from the summertime so almost 3 years – a couple of incidents, bright and crystal clear. I should mention that I'm only 69, so that might be why...:whistling:

On 4/11/2019 at 12:51 AM, possum1931 said:

can name the biggest majority, if not all, the kids who were in my class when I started school, can you?

I can. They were the same ones I graduated high school with except for Rita Abby, whose family moved away before the 1st year ended, Marlice Pound who enrolled in the 3rd grade and Daryl Montague who transferred out in the 5th grade. There may be some people that have memories from their childhood. but most of those memories were reinforced thru their parents or older siblings or by a special event in their life. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I cannot remember anything before my 10th birthday with one exception which may not have happened

I do have a very vivid memory of being on an operating table when I was younger than that, I remember going to the hospital, getting ready and then the doctors talking to me before going under - but my mum says this never happened. Since you are now allowed to search through your own medical records I went through it with a fine tooth comb and there was nothing there either but I know it happened. Has baffled me all my life - I think someone sinister was experimenting on me !!

Hmmmm, hope you ain't German........????

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

lemember peering up from my blue cot at smiley faces and brylcreem hair waves like grinning cheshire cats.

Hey is that you, heck you grow'd up since I peeked in your cot

Sammy-Davis-Jr-Biopic-Movie-Paramount.jpg.bf7ca519bc536efbf6dc929f0add6484.jpg

Forgetfulness - Billy Collins

The name of the author is the first to go
Followed obediently by the title, the plot,
The heartbreaking conclusion, the entire novel
Which suddenly becomes one you have never read,
Never even heard of,
As if, one by one, the memories you used to harbor
Decided to retire to the southern hemisphere of the brain,
To a little fishing village where there are no phones.
Long ago you kissed the names of the nine Muses goodbye
And watched the quadratic equation pack its bag,
And even now as you memorize the order of the planets,
Something else is slipping away, a state flower perhaps,
The address of an uncle, the capital of Paraguay.
Whatever it is you are struggling to remember
It is not poised on the tip of your tongue,
Not even lurking in some obscure corner of your spleen.
It has floated away down a dark mythological river
Whose name begins with an L as far as you can recall,
Well on your own way to oblivion where you will join those
Who have even forgotten how to swim and how to ride a bicycle.
No wonder you rise in the middle of the night
To look up the date of a famous battle in a book on war.
No wonder the moon in the window seems to have drifted
Out of a love poem that you used to know by heart.

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

what do you want to remember things for ?

I like to remember everything, the good and the bad.

The good because it makes me happy.

The bad because it makes me happy when I get my own back

on those responsible for the bad.????

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

I cannot remember anything before my 10th birthday with one exception which may not have happened

I do have a very vivid memory of being on an operating table when I was younger than that, I remember going to the hospital, getting ready and then the doctors talking to me before going under - but my mum says this never happened. Since you are now allowed to search through your own medical records I went through it with a fine tooth comb and there was nothing there either but I know it happened. Has baffled me all my life - I think someone sinister was experimenting on me !!

Aliens?

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

See, your "memory" sparked a memory for me. I was admitted to Seacroft Hospital where I had a tonsillectomy. I remember being prepared and going into the operating theater but not much after that. I do remember that when I was at home I had nearly a week of ice cream, something that would never have happened if I hadn't been sick. I must have been about 7 or 8.  BTW that really did happen.

Edited by GarryP

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

See, your "memory" sparked a memory for me. I was admitted to Seacroft Hospital where I had a tonsillectomy. I remember being prepared and going into the operating theater but not much after that. I do remember that when I was at home I had nearly a week of ice cream, something that would never have happened if I hadn't been sick. I must have been about 7 or 8.  BTW that really did happen.

I was 5, sister in the next bed was 3.........????